OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt vs Swaro one scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt vs Swaro one scope?
    Posted: January/31/2007 at 21:59
While watching the sunset, I came up with what might be a wacko idea but I'd like some thoughts from Y'all.
1. I have several high power hunting rifles that all have their own scope in the $400-600 range
2. I have one S&B 4-16 Varmint with the ranging dots. It is fantastic on my 22-06.
3. Having used the Burris double dovetail mounts with signature (plastic insert) rings and the S&K wrap around rings, I have found taking a scope off & on to be a simple matter.(leaving the bases & rings (burris) or the bases (S&K) on the rifle.)
4. The advent of decent optical bore sighters allow sighting in the gun, then sticking in the bore sighter, writing down the W&E settings in the bore sighter (they are never in the center) so when you move the scope back to that gun you can get in the black.

So what if... I sold all the mid prices scopes and bought a +-$2000 Swaro or S&B mid magnification variable and moved it around from gun to gun ? I never hunt with more than one at a time and I have others (like my 99 Savage 300 w/Lyman Alaskan) that could stand in if I dropped the "one" in a lake.

I don't trust QD mounts to take saddle scabbard abuse and IMO most mounts having removability (leave the rings on the scope) are kinda ugly (cross locks, talley) or have wear issues (turn in rings).Also I find the scope usually has to be moved back & forth depending on the individual rifle.

Have any merit? (I can't afford a 1/2 dozen of them!)
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 23:00

I do really dought that it's a good idea. I see a lot of problems with it.

But if you do it, I think that the South African Red-I-laser collimator is what you need.

That seems to be the best working collimator of all, after you have zeroed your guns at the range.

I do actually belive that you that way could get it to work, but I do at the same time belive that there is far to much work involved to be really funny.

I have a 4-16 Sub that had ranging reticle, I got so annoyed by it, as it's dots becomes invisiable at low magnification and in low light.

So I sent it back to SuB and got the German no1 installed and a BDC, now everything works as it should.

Long range shots at small targets is no problem, and night hunting in poor light works as well.

Regards Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 23:13
Yes the 4-16 dot reticule is a waste of time below 10X, but on the 22-06 I usually have it at 16X anyway as it's a varmint rifle. thanks!
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 20:26

As much as I think a Schmidt and Bender scope would be really nice, I don't think I'd personally let go of all my mid grade scopes to get just one AWSOME scope.  Personally, I think the average hunter and the guy with an average normal pocket book is well served with the mid grade scopes from Bushnell, Burris/Pentax, Nikon, Leupold, Weaver ect....

Plus its nice to have several differnet scopes for differnent applications.

On a side note that Schmidt and Bender on that .400 H&H would be, well WOW!!!

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 20:38
With its eye relief the 4-16 S&B would be WOW and a lot of other bad words when it bit me. No the 400 keeps the Loopie 1-4 as it's safe to shoot.I'm thinking of the 6.5x55, 308, 30-06, 300 WM and 300 H&H where 3.5" would be safe.
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 21:33
Switching one scope from rifle to rifle sounds possible but you would have to have a lot of trust in your bore sighter and
that the scope would trac perfectly everytime you made the switch.

I use leupold QDW rings on my model 99 and yes it returns to zero but I don't do any adjusting to the scope. I've used it
many times this way and it works perfectly well. I use the rifle without the scope most of the time and attach it only when
I'm hunting from a stand. I target shoot often with it, both scoped and without and I have a good feel for it.

Maybe I just never owned a scope that tracked well enough but I don't think I could trust the adjustments to work perfectly
every time the scope was switched.

Give it a try with one of the scopes you already have. Maybe it will work!

Smitty

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 22:30
I understand I would have to do final sighting in each time I moved the scope. The bore sighter would, based on past experience, give me "repeatability" within two inches of the center of the bulls eye. Here's the drill: sight in the rifle. then stick in the bore sighter and write down where on the boresighter grid the crosshairs are. Lets say 2 squares right and one square up. Then take the scope off and repeat on each rifle. Now go back to rifle #1, put in the boresighter and adjust the scope to 2 sq rt, 1 sq up. Then back to the range for final sighting. Obviously not practical if you frequently shoot all the guns but I don't. Typically I'll settle on one gun for the season and use it for Antelope, Deer & Elk.I'd like to hear more about your experience with the Leupold QDW mount. If the repeatabilty is very good that could remove another variable from the project.
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 00:03
I hunt with an old model 99 in 308. It's a great gun and I really prefer it without a scope but here it's story....

My first scope on it was a 3-9x40 Burris fullfield II. I first tried the Burris Signature rings with their one piece base but the
fullfield II didn't have enough adjustment to zero. I had a gunsmith install this for me. I wasn't impressed with him as he
buggered up one of the ring screws.

I learned that Burris rings have some f'd up screws that go in easy but taking them out is a bear. I don't recommend
them for this reason. I ended up having to buy new screws for the Signarure rings becasue of this.

I then switched to the Leupold 1-piece base. Leupold's and Burris's bases measure differently but I got the same
results, the Fullfield II just didn't have the adjustment needed to zero this set up.

My last try was with Weaver 2-piece bases. I bought the Leupold bore sighter which saved me a lot of ammo and I also
bought the Wheeler ring alignment kit form (competitor)usa.

Anyway, I installed the bases, with new Leupold meduim height QR rings. With the Wheeler kit I saw that I needed to
shim the rear base so I bought a thin sheet of brass from ACE, made a shim and everything lined up nearly perfect. I
adjusted the bases a little more until they lined up exactly. I then redid all this and used locktite. No lapping was needed.

By shimming the rear base it nearly zero'd the scope and it needed only a few clicks of adjustment.

This worked well but the scope was heavy and threw off the great balance and feel of this rifle. Last fall I bought a couple
other scopes that are much lighter but I'm still not satisfied with the added weight.

Thru all this I've kept using the same Leupold QRW rings which have worked perfectly.

I've come to realize that I don't like a scope on my model 99, but I do need one occasionally for when I hunting from a hill
top at which time I'm staying put and don't mind the weight of a scope...some shooting sticks and I'm in sniper mode.

Probably more than you wanted! Anyway, I recommend the QRW rings.

Smitty

jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 09:09
I would say not.  Stick with what works.  That awesome Schmidt and Bender scope isn't going to do anything for you that the other mid priced scopes aren't already doing, other than possibly cause you more headaches.  I wouldn't do it.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 10:16
Thanks for the info on the Loopie mts. As to your 99
being a bit clubby with a 1" scope & modern mounts,
take a look at http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5463&PN=1&TPN= 4

That is my 99 EG with a PCH Lyman Alaskan and Stith no drill mounts. Very low, very light, no extra holes and almost as easyto carry as a iron sighted 99. Lyman Alaskans are great scopes,just about bullet proof and huge eye relief. What was good enough for O'Connor is good enough for me. The bad news is that 99s are hot and these mounts and scopes are even hotter. This scope & mt purchased on Ebay was $450.00 and if NIB would be pushing a grand.BUT it does turn a scoped 99 from a club into a sweet handling rig.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic