OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Razors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 16:20

Originally posted by ahuebel ahuebel wrote:

I would hardly call what I did "blatantly plugging a competitor" as the rule states. While I would agree this provides a venue for marketing products it is primarily a discussion board about products...

About products, yes.  About SWFA's direct competitors, no.  This isn't our call and our opinions about it are irrelevent, as we don't own the board.  We post here at SWFA's pleasure.  I don't think the rules apply to random mentions of vendors, but if you repeatedly post about buying stuff from their direct competitors, that's a different thing entirely.  Most of their competitor names are auto-formatted to read simply "competitor" after you post.  That tells me that they'd prefer you didn't even mention their names.  Nothing is lost in the discussion of products by omitting vendor names anyway.

Not trying to be a speech Nazi, I just thought you should be aware of this and the reasons why.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 18:13
Another BIG online house, that is not connected with the manufacturer, sells the Razor, same price as the Wisconsin outfit. I think SWFA would do well to carry it.

There are a few of these under $900 near high end binos coming around. I think Bushnell has some sort of Infinity series, that I am interested in. If I can get a good 10x42 for 600, I will be happy. But it has to be noticeably better than Monarchs.

Edited by Tero
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 06:30

Quote Another BIG online house, that is not connected with the manufacturer, sells the Razor, same price as the Wisconsin outfit. I think SWFA would do well to carry it.

..and on the other hand there is another very popular competitor that does not carry Leupold products and SWFA does.

Tero,

You ready to take that $600 plunge? The Razor would definitely be an improvement over the Monarchs.

Frank
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 07:40
Maybe, these sorts of purchases I usually do in person, the OTHER UNMENTIONABLE CHAIN is opening here is spring.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 09:32

Originally posted by Tero Tero wrote:

Maybe, these sorts of purchases I usually do in person, the OTHER UNMENTIONABLE CHAIN is opening here is spring.

what is the OTHER UNMENTIONABLE CHAIN?   sorry for being a newbie here...

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 11:08

The world's foremost outfitter.

Tero,

I know what you are saying Tero and can understand that position. I am sure you are aware though that many of these online resources do have very generous return policies.

Frank
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 19:37

That didn't help much either.. Can you use some acronym if full name is forbidden? thanks

Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

The world's foremost outfitter.

Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 20:16
The store we have moving in to Missouri at this east end, is I think from Nebraska.

Most binoculars I have bought had some immediate appeal, and I paid a little too much, having it in hand there and then. But so far I have not spent that much on any one.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2007 at 13:40

Tero,

You know what I have gone through with binoculars over the three years or so I was posting over on BF.net. I have gone through Nikons, Leicas, Swaros, Zeiss, Pentax, Meoptas, Bushnells, etc.. Sometimes I was more than satisfied with my purchase while others I knew I had to sell or return them not long after having used them in the field. All in all my goal was to achieve optical quality that I could find no fault with while spending the least amount of money. All of the high end models pleased me optically in one way or another but the amount I paid for them always left me with a little bit of a pit in my stomach. I have now finally found a series of bins that offers optical performance to meet my standards without having to resort to paying $1000+.

I know my "holy grail" may not necessarily be yours, or anyone elses, but I definitely think they are more than worthy of consideration when the time comes.

spf2,

Hmm, if that didn't give you a hint then you must not be big on hunting/fishing because this place has the biggest selection and is the mostly widely recognized retailer in the world.

Frank
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2007 at 14:56
Frank,(and Paul Neess)

Now that the Vortex Razor gives guys a great roof prism at an acceptable price level, perhaps the company will try and do something similiar with a porro prism binocular.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 09:50

Hmm,

Now wouldn't that send the binocular buying community on its ear?

Take the Razor's specs and put them into a porro prism design which would allow for a greater 3D effect and would probably cost half the price of the Razors to manufacturer. Heck, with two less reflected surfaces in the porro prism design the image should be even brighter and crisper.  Put some modern eyecups on them, an internal focus, sell them for $350-$400 and you would have the hottest selling binocular on the market.

Frank
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 12:37
Now you're talking!!!!!

Edited by Bird Watcher
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 13:25

Yeah, one can only dream.

Frank
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 02:39
Got my 8x42 Razors today.  I only spent a few minutes with them, but very nice glass.  They may be a bit too big for my hands though.  Not too big in circumference, but a little bit too long.  If I place my fingers in the scalloped areas, I have a hard time reaching the focus wheel.  I'll see how comfortable to hold they are when I play with them more during this weekend.

ILya
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 13:14

I wanted to share a little experience I just had with Vortex Optics' customer service. Three days ago I was using my Razors while out scouting. After returning home I had my hands full of gear and accidentally let the Razors slip from grasp just as I walked into my basement.

They landed on the front rim of the right barrel. The five foot drop onto a cement floor did not do any external damage to the binoculars. There is no dent in the barrel or splitting of the rubber coating. However, upon placing the binocular up to my eyes the images seemed somewhat out of focus. The alignment seemed fine but I could feel the eye strain a bit to get both barrels in focus at the same time. I checked the diopter setting and it continued to show the "zero adjustment" setting I typically have all of my bins set for.

In an effort to get both barrels to the same point of focus I fiddled with the diopter. The diopter now has to be set at +5 in order to achieve the same point of focus. I proceeded to use them over the next day to determine if this was the only consequence of the accident and it appears to be the case.

After giving it some further thought I decided I would contact Vortex to see if I could send them in and have them looked over. I emailed them and received a reply later the same day. My options are as follows...

1. I can send them back and they will repair any problems with them free of charge and get them back to me as soon as is humanly possible.(I got the feeling of about a week or so but wasn't given a specific time frame.)

2. I can send them back and, in exchange, they will send me another pair immediately (2nd day Air) upon my request so I do not miss out on the opportunity to use them for some event or trip.

Take a guess which option I went for?

Based on the information listed for their VIP warranty I was somewhat expecting the first option available but I was totally unprepared for the second oppportunity!

Now, the issue may pop into some folks heads that I am receiving some type of special treatment because I posted some positive comments in regard to the Razor. This could not be further from the truth. This opportunity is available to anyone that owns a Vortex binocular and is in need of a replacement in short order because of some problem they may experience. When asked what happens to the model I sent back I was told that they repair it and then use it as a demo/display model.

How is that for customer service? I am still sitting here wondering if I heard the gentleman correctly but the proof will be on Thursday when the replacement Razors show up at my door. ;)

I had to share it with you guys especially after some of the horror stories I have read on here from some of the other manufacturers.

Frank
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 14:00

That's great to hear, FrankD!

I truly believe the Razor is one of the best, if not the very best deal in optics today, considering what you get for your money!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 14:35
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

That's great to hear, FrankD!

I truly believe the Razor is one of the best, if not the very best deal in optics today, considering what you get for your money!

I agree.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 06:39
Though I am biased I must say that I agree. I continue to enjoy using the Razors ever time I put them up against my eyes. The VIP service is nice enough so as it is but this offer of a replacement and 2nd Day air is just icing on the cake.
Frank
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 09:47
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

"Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Ok, ok...I don't want to go crazy on this but I have experienced nothing but the best in service as well. In fact after asking about cleaning they actually sent me a cleaning kit and a lens pen in the mail. It did get rid of some stubborn spots on the glass.

I do have one bit of warning though. The last time they were used, the binoculars were cleaned with tap water and the eyecups were left on. While cleaning last night, I noticed rust spots forming on the ball bearings the eyecups snap onto. While cleaning those ball bearings with a small brush, I scraped what I thought was some corrosion from around the balls. It turns out it was actually glue and one of the balls popped out.

Anyway, I'm sure you more experienced guys know this, but my advice is as follows:

1. Don't use tap water to clean the glass. Don't use water period unless it is somehow absolutely necessary and you dont have a cleaning kit.

2. If you use water, remove the eyecups to let them dry!

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 10:52
Originally posted by ahuebel ahuebel wrote:

While cleaning last night, I noticed rust spots forming on the ball bearings the eyecups snap onto. While cleaning those ball bearings with a small brush, I scraped what I thought was some corrosion from around the balls. It turns out it was actually glue and one of the balls popped out.

Is there any chance you could post pictures of this? 

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you are describing as I've never noticed ball bearings as part of any binocular I've ever seen (though admittedly I've never looked for such things nor have I ever handled a Razor at all.)

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic