OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope quality and warranties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope quality and warranties
    Posted: January/30/2007 at 10:09

Many people on this forum seem to indicate that Leupold has good warranty service but relatively poor optics for the price.

I have had several Leupold's and they have all performed flawlessly and seem to me to have good to excellent optics. However several years ago- in the 1980's, I succombed to the advertising and ordered a Burris Fullfield.  The scope was fine except when you look towards the Sun on a bright day in the autumn woods the flare was complete-couldn't see anything. Found that out while trying to aim at a deer.  Anyway, the next day I tried it again and compare to several other scopes including Leupold's Bushnells and Tasco's.  Only the Burris had this problem. There was a little flare in some of the cheaper scopes but the Leupold VariX II was completely clear under identical circumstances where the image in the Burris was completely obliterated. I admit, that I simply sold the scope and did not send it back to Burris for warranty work.

Several years later I purchased a Pentax (another 2x7).  Took it out to sight it in and could not resolve the one-inch squares on the sight-in target.  It appeared to be a problem with astigmitism.  Tried several times over the next few months to focus it and the problem remained.  My 4X Leupold could easily resolve the squares as well as the .270 bullet holes under the same contitions.  Same for my 2X7 Simmons Whitetail, though it was noticably fuzzier than the Leupold. This time I did send it in for warranty work.  I received it back stating that it was within spec.'s

Maybe both Pentax and Burris have improved their quality over the past several years, but I just couldn't believe Pentax's response.  I still have this scope in its expensive wooden case.

Comments?  I just want someone to give me assurance that these two brands have improved their quality and service over the years.  It seems amazing to me that these two brands are so well regarded.  I can accept the possibility that the Burris may have been defective and I should have sent it back, but every time I see that fancy Pentax box, I get a queasy feeling in my stomach.

don

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 11:29
Burrris has indeed improved its quality since the "1980's".   So has Leupold, with its VXIII line. 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 11:37
Customer service is not what it should be at Burris,too bad they make very good scopes for the money now days.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 12:25
arent pentax and burris made from the same dna??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 13:06
The majority of Pentax scopes are made by Burris exept for the lowest end pentax scopes,these are imported.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 13:14
thats what i thought the light seeker sure does look a lot like my full fieldII they must have fixed the issue clark was talking about my ffII doesnt do any of that stuff.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 13:16
The scopes are much better now. Now they need to get thier sh*t together at customer service.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 13:19
i will take your word for it i havent had any issues with my ffII yet knock on wood!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic