OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Suggestions for a .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000Z-71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Suggestions for a .308
    Posted: January/30/2007 at 00:01

I recently picked up a stainless/synthetic Ruger 77 MkII in .308 Win.  The rifle was on clearance and was a steal.  I'm looking at it as a utility rifle, close cover and high country packing hunting rifle.  Looking for a good all around hunting scope and I want something in a silver finish.  Considering a Leupold VXII 3x9, Burris Fullfield II 3x9 and Burris Short Mag 3x9.  I'm intriqued by the Short Mag, but the reviews I'm reading on it are not favorable.

Thanks in advance for the sugsetions.

smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 02:11
Have you looked at the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. It's brighter than the VXIII but is only about $220 right now from SWFA.

My 2nd suggestion would be the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.

Buy the rings that mount it as low as possible. Ruger's LOW rings might even work. Other brands also make rings to fit
the Ruger. Most manufacture's charts are conservative and recomend taller rings just to keep buyers from returning
products. Get the dimensions and do your own calc's.

Smitty

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2007 at 08:37
I would agree with Smitty, those are excellent choices, unless you plan to do any longer range hunting or target shooting and want a little more magnification.  But, both of those scopes are great and the Monarch is a deal.  The Ruger low rings will probably work and for your purposes should work just fine.  Would stay away from the compacts as the adjustment range of the scope in the rings will probably be too limited for a comfortable position when mounting the rifle to your face for proper eye relief.
Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:22
Sightron has a SII 3-9x42 in silver for 219.00. lock stock and barrel has them for 199.00 but not sure how many they have in stock. I am thinking about getting one. the specs show a eye relief of 4.1-3.9.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:42
The 3-9x42 SII is a very nice scope for the price. I think you will be happy with that one.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 19:13
Don't waste your money on the VXII unless you NEVER hunt in low light.  Well made scopes, with a great warranty.  They just don't do the deed in low light.  For some folks who can't hunt after sunset or maybe 30 min. after sunset, low light performance is not much of an issue.  However, if you can hunt an hour after sunset, then low light performance is of utmost importance. 
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
Jessz1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 19:33
I second the Monarch. I just put one on my Savage .308 and it has met my every expectation.
a green View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 15:53

I second the elite 4200.  I too recently bought a 308 ruger in stainless/synthetic.  It had a bushnell banner 6-18x50 that was bigger than the gun.  I replaced it with the elite and have no complaints.  The clarity is good and the low light performance is exceptional.  I have the 3-9x40 and feel it is perfect for whitetails at any reasonable distance.

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 23:06
How about a 2-7 X Monarch?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic