OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris vs. VX-III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK WILKINSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris vs. VX-III
    Posted: August/18/2004 at 10:20
Burris Euro Diamond 3-12x50 illuminated german #4 vs. Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 illuminated #4 dot.  Lower price on the Burris and larger field of view.  Will use on hunting rifle for medium to long range shots.  Any opinions, preferences, differences in light transmission, clarity?  Thanks.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 20:02
Yep, a 3.5X10 will transmit more light than a 4.5x14 with the same objective.  I could really see the difference in my Vari-X-III 50mm's in both of these models when set on the SAME power.  The Weaver Grand Slam is the best deal in a 3.5x10x50mm that I have actually looked through during late evening hunting.  It is better than my Leupold in light transmission and that is a fact!  You may want more magnification for long shots, but you give up a bit of brightness to get the magnification.  At near dark I usually set my scope on about 7 or 8 power anyhow.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2004 at 15:53
Really hard to beat the Burris.  Almost every customer we have that has compared a high end Burris to a high end Leupold claims that the Burris is brighter.  The Burris is built like a tank too.  The Burris also has a broader power range 3-12 instead of 4.5-14.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 12:08

I'm looking real hard at a new Burris for one of my rifles on an upcoming elk hunt in northern Idaho.  I have a choice of taking one rifle, a .338 Arnold with a 2.5-10x50 Pentax Lightseeker or a new .300 Ultramag which will bear the new scope.  The Pentax seems pretty bright, have any of you compared them to other brands? 

Chris is right when he say's Burris are built like a tank so I'm looking in that direction.  However, my 4-12 Swarovski should be arriving pretty soon after getting a repair job (had rifle out of the safe leaning against the reloading bench and my wife walked by and thought it would look better if it got knocked onto the concrete floor).  The thing I find hard with rifles that have long actions, is getting enough tube length so I don't have to use extension rings, I think they are tacky!  That being said the 4200's, Burris, Swarovski have worked for me.   

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 16:34
gozarian, you may not realize it, but I believe Burris makes Pentax riflescopes, and Pentax uses it's own proprietary lens coatings-7 layer process I believe.  My Lightseeker is awesome...blows away Leupold.  Just my 2cts worth.
Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 19:13

I had a 3-9x50 Burris Signature on a rifle that I sold. It was decent but not great in low light though it was built very well and never lost it's settings(posilock). Leupolds seem grainy to my eyes as well as overpriced for their features. Not sure about the ill #4 for medium/long range though. Of the two I'd give the nod to the Burris.

Carl in N. FL
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 19:21

you dont pay for for leupolds features, you pay for there #1 customer service, and warranty.

cory

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 19:33
It's probably a fortunate thing that Leupold has good customer service and warranty. Myself, I prefer not to need/use either, however, several friends were not as fortunate. Leupold stood behind their product-again and again.
Carl in N. FL
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 19:40

i personaly know people that have boguht hundreds of leupold scopes, and not had a problem with one of them. and know people that have boguht nikon, and about 1/5 of them has been screwed up from the factory. not very impressed with nikon, theres much better scope than nikon. the good warranty is a good thing to have on any scope, jsut becuase of the name on it, doesnt mean it wont have to be sent back. maybe all the people i know personally got real lucky on the scopes they recieved, and maybe the people you knwo got defective ones, who knows, i have heard of people having trouble with leupold though, so its not liek it doesnt happen, but they are one of the toughest scopes i know of.

cory

PS: no anger intended, jsut getting into the subject, and making a point

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 20:03
Agreed. Those who care for their optics benefit. I currently have 5 Nikons. Never a problem with them, however, no problems w/ my Burris, B&L, Weavers either. Optics are subject to fail right out of the box or maybe never. Many hunters in my area are buying Nikons and saving the extra cash, though.
Carl in N. FL
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 20:41
There are good and bad in all of them.  I will have to say that I have never had a problem with a Vari-X-III and I own 3 of them.  I have had 2 problems with my Burris 3.5X10X50mm.  In fact it is in Colorado right now.  Two of my friends have also had problems with their Burris scopes.  Oddly enough, all of our problems were with the reticles.  Go figure???
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 20:48

what happened to them??? i wonder if they;re wire, or etched.... my guess would be etched

cory

CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 21:08
The first time, my reticle broke in the center.  This time it spun.  I know that one of my friends had his reticle spin also (not like a pinwheel, it just rotated and would not hold zero).  His is a 6X Signature.  I don't remember what happened to the other guys reticle.  I will ask tomorrow at work if I see him.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 21:15

hmmm... what caliber are you shooting it on??? also rifle weight

cory

Edited by redneckbmxer24
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 21:26
That is a good question, but mine has always been on a 7mm08.  My friends was on a .308.  Funny thing is that he thought that the rifle was bad, so he sold the rifle and kept the scope.  Then he found out the problem was with the scope.  The guy that he sold the rifle to is now all smiles.  The rifle turned out to be darn accurate.  My friend said that he will never make that mistake again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 21:31

i always looked at burris as being a tough scope. we learn something new each day now dont we.

cory

CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:11
I checked with the other guy at work today.  He had a spun reticle also.  He shoots a 7mmRem Mag. loaded down to 280 velocity.  He also has a 3.5X10X50.  These are hardly hard kicking rifles that the 3 of us own.  I got my scope back from Burris today.  The repair order said that they re-aligned the reticle and glued it.  There is something about that word "glue" that I don't like. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:32

yeah, doesnt it just sound liek a quality repair

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
VanMojo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2004 at 10:57
At Leupold, reticles are kept firmly in place by three different things.  A small but very powerful spring on the back (completely compressed), a notch on the edge of the reticle mount to keep it from spinning, and a finely threaded nut on top that is glued in place with a threadlocker adhesive.  They're not going anywhere...
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2004 at 15:55
Never had a reticle problem with a Leupold.  As rugged as a Burris is supposed to be, you would think that they would have worked this out.  Maybe they have in the newer ones.  I don't want to slam Burris.  Optically they are pretty darn good scopes.  A little glare here and there, but good scopes.  It looks like they are well engineered.  The reticles may be the Achilles heel though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic