OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Testing for Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing for Chris
    Posted: January/28/2007 at 09:46

New Savage 308 modified by SWFA.

Forgive the sloppy penmanship, it was COLD!

Edited by Mike McDonald
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 10:30

100 yards, Mike??

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 11:02
Out to the range today with two non-modified Savage 11gs, one a .308 and the other a 7mm-08.  No hand loads, probably Rem. Core lokt.  I will have to see what is available.  Will post pics of what mine can do in a rest.  With my shooting despite a rest, I am still looking for 1 inch groups, will see.  Nice post.  You can see pics of the newly mounted scopes on the firearms posts.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 12:43

100 yards, Mike??

Yeah, old fat blind bald guy laying in the dirt at 100 yards.  Chris has this thing set up correctly.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 13:18

Your usual fine shooting--what was that --prone you said

Chris has this thing set up correctly.  Which part getting you to do it or the scope on the rifle?

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 13:46

The scope and the rifle.

Thanks for the compliment Dale

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 14:14
Who needs a bench when you can shoot like that?  Anything you can give us on the Xotic and Tubbs reticle?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 14:32

Anything you can give us on the Xotic and Tubbs reticle?

Dale, I have to give that Savage back to SWFA now that I'm done with it.

Knowing that, if I said anything I'd probably be shot with that very same rifle  :)

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 14:49
Ha Ha in the works eh!!! Put me on the buy list.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Anything you can give us on the Xotic and Tubbs reticle?

Dale, I have to give that Savage back to SWFA now that I'm done with it.

Knowing that, if I said anything I'd probably be shot with that very same rifle  :)

Ah come on, Mike, we won't tell anybody.

Promise......

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 15:08

That is some fine prone shooting there, Mike. Was looking at the Black Hills for the AR, they seem to make good stuff and a lot of competitors are using them. Who made the 168's?

Also, been thinking about reloading for service rifle, are you happy with the ball powder and have you used it in gas guns? I know it meters nicely.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 16:21

tahqua,

Thanks for the compliment.

The 168's are unknown mfg, milsurp but not pulldown.  They are 168gr +/- 0.1gr and have a cannelure.

I got these in trade for something or other and thought they'd be 2moa practice rounds in the AR10.

Loaded some up and found they shot quite well at 100 yards.  I've been able to hold ten shots into 1.5 moa at 1000 yards with them.  I would not have thought they'd be stable at 1k but they are.  This is the first bolt rifle I've run them in and they seem to work well enough to continue using.

On ball powders; down here in Tx we worry about heat sensitivity alot.  In the past I always pushed my loads really hard, and that precluded the use of ball powders since most seem too sensitive to temp changes.

I found that by reducing the load to modest velocity such as Blackhills does, the temp instability goes away and accuracy is greatly improved.  The 168 load was run off a Dillon 550 and not weighed.

A friend yesterday at the range showed me a 200 yard 5 shot group that a quarter would easily cover, using H322 powder metered through a Dillon measure. This was shot with his Ar15 and a 4x scope and a 69 grain matchking bullet.   For service rifle that might be a decent option and Hodgedon lists it as one oftheir "Extreme"series of powders.

Edited by Mike McDonald
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 12:20

Great post Mike. Could you please post any Xotic info as it becomes availalable. 

Trinidad

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:23
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

............Chris has this thing set up correctly.  Which part getting you to do it or the scope on the rifle?

You're correct Dale, getting him to it was about the only thing I did.

"Project Savage / SS" is to show what can be done on a budget with, new "out of the box" equipment.

Rifle - Savage 10FP HS Precision w/ Accutrigger $899.95

Scope - SWFA SS 10x42 $299.95

Mounts - Burris Xtreme Tactical base $17.95, Xtreme Tactical 30mm rings $57.90

Bipod - Harris S BRM $89.95

$1365.70 retail

Michael is going to shoot it and a true "full custom" rig side by side at 100, 500 and 1,000 yards to show that you don't have to sell a kidney to get into shooting long range, accurately.  The Savage / SS package is a very capable and reliable rig.  Many police departments we deal with have a very limited budget or they are required to purchase their own rifle and scope, this is the exact set up that we put together for many of them.

With the recent jump in prices from Schmidt and Bender, USO and Night Force just a scope can cost you close to $3,000..  A custom rifle will set you back, $4,000.

I didn't anticipate the Savage / SS to out shoot a $7,000. rig but it looks like it is going to.

By the way we are going to sell set ups like this on GunBroker.  They will be broken in and sighted in, ready to go.  We can't promise you'll be able to duplicate what our esteemed tester can do but you will have a target that shows what the combo is capable of doing.

Edited by Chris
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:33

Great idea Chris. If I could make just one minor suggestion it would be to substitue the Burris XTR rings and bases with TPS lightweight rings and bases. I do prefer XTR over Warne though.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:38
We used Warne the first time out with this set up but the rings were way too high and they do not make a lower one.  The Burris XTR are the only rings and bases we currently sell that fit the "budget" theme.  Our buyer is working with TPS (I hope) to get them added soon, once we stock them I'll get a set and see how they mount up.  This Burris set up is dead nuts perfect with the SS and HS stock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:42

Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

This Burris set up is dead nuts perfect with the SS and HS stock.

So is the "experimental" shooter........

That is some smooth shooting, Mr Mike.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:43

Another idea,maybee the TPS upgrade could be added later with a phase 2 type set-up:

Savage 10 McMillan

TPS rings&mounts

Xotic

Harris Bipod

Edited by SVD666
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

This Burris set up is dead nuts perfect with the SS and HS stock.

So is the "experimental" shooter........

That is some smooth shooting, Mr Mike.

I do not know if I would want a set-up after Mike has handled it.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 15:57

We used Warne the first time out with this set up but the rings were way too high and they do not make a lower one.  The Burris XTR are the only rings and bases we currently sell that fit the "budget" theme.  Our buyer is working with TPS (I hope) to get them added soon, once we stock them I'll get a set and see how they mount up.  This Burris set up is dead nuts perfect with the SS and HS stock.

I am not a big fan of Warne rings and mounts this hight reason bieng one of them. Burris XTR's have a better desighn and ring hight option than Warne but I have a concern with the grade of the aluminum used on the XTR for long term use and remounting. TPS has no flaws in my opinion,both desighn,materials and price wise.Thanks for the info Chris.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic