OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vari X-111 or Zeis Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmason57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vari X-111 or Zeis Conquest
    Posted: August/16/2004 at 21:34
I need professional advise. Which is better. Leupold VX-111 4.5x14 50mmLR or Zeis Conquest 4.5x14 44mmAO? I have been reading all the specs and the price is about the same for the duplex and Z-Plex scopes.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2004 at 22:42

I don't know how professional this is, but the Zeiss is a superior scope.  It is brighter, clearer and has a longer constant eye relief.  The leupold is a very good scope, but I switched to Zeiss a few years ago and I have never looked back.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 15:13

strongly agree with ranburr, love the constant eye relief of the conquest.

cory

SPAD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 20:07
I own both scopes.  They are both excellent.  I would have to go with the Leupold being that you stated the VX-III "LR".  I would rather have a 30mm scope than a one inch scope in this case.  Like I said before I have both of these scopes and neither of them is for sale. 

SPAD
SPAD
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 22:07
I have to back ranburr on this one no matter how much I lov my Elite 4200's. They are not in the same league!!!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 23:35

The paramedics declared me legally dead for two minutes!  Roy, you are not in my will so please stop trying to give me a heart attack!

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 09:04
ranburr, don't misread my statement. The Leupold is not in the same league as the Zeiss. The 4200's blow them all away! Now your heart is back on track I'll bet!!! Talk to ya soon.
dmason57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmason57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 20:17
Thank you for the input. I sure like both scopes. I own an older VX-111 in a 40mmAO. I will go by the Bass Pro Shop and look very close at all of them. I am leaning toward the Zeiss right now.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 20:21

good idea, jsut remember, you cant go wrong with either of them, but the zeiss is just the better value IMHO. dont just look at those scope, compare others, and see which one best fits your eye.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2004 at 15:06

Leupold has more adjustment travel

Zeiss is brighter when both scopes are emitting same size exit pupil

Zeiss has constant eye relief

Zeiss has Euro. fast focus eye piece

Leupold has larget objective meaning larger exit pupil and brighter on powers over 6.5

Both have side focus, life time transferable warranty.

I would say it really depends on what you are doing with the scope.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2004 at 20:20

dont forget who has the best customer servie

cory

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 11:00
...true and in case someone out there does not know, it's LEUPOLD.
ClutterMonkey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClutterMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2004 at 02:41

On the subject of VariX-IIIs the varminters reticle is calibrated for 40gr vmax. But because of barrel erosion Im not sending vmax through my SR-15. Do I go UP to mark 4s to get mil dot? Or go down to 1inch main tube and get a Zeiss? Also which power range should I get for target or varmints at 300 yards? 4.5-14 should do it right? Trying to keep my rifles total cost under $3000 would be nice. Any ideas?

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2004 at 16:49

4.5-14 power range is perfect for target and varmints out to 300 yards.  You do not need a 30mm tube for that range either.  Save the money and go with a 4.5-14 with a one inch tube.  The Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 Side Focus, Mil Dot would be perfect.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 17:25

cluttermonkey, if you dont want to spend the money for a the conquest 4.5-14, check out the leupold PR 4.5-14x40, it has a 30mm tube, side focus, mildot reticle, and free leupold acc. for 689.99.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
ClutterMonkey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClutterMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2004 at 00:06
Since reading up on scopes and technologies used to make them and features ive become attached to 2nd plane reticles seeing as they dont ever change. Still about 18 days till my rifles expected delivery. Any suggestions on  rings for the zeiss? Badgers with the inserts will go direclty onto KACs RAS? I just recently got into rifles, been a pistol guy for the last 10 years i have 50 pistols and 3 rifles, go figure. -Clutter
kokdyer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kokdyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2004 at 05:16
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on a 6 pound 338, and a Leupold VARI-X III 3-9 on a M70 Supergrade 300 Win.  The Zeiss is twice the scope.  If you going to spend $500, get a Kahles, Docter, Zeiss, or Burris.  All you get from Leupold for $500 is name recognition and a box with a fresh steamer on the inside and Guarantee in 12 inch letters on the outside.  It's a hell of a Guarantee though!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2004 at 09:35

you do mean VXII right, because leupold has never made a VXIII in 3-9.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
kokdyer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kokdyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2004 at 13:31

That was my mistake I meant 3.5-10. VARI-X III.  I got in on a trade when I bought an A-Bolt, sold the A-Bolt (it's not a real gun anyway), and kept the scope.  It's on my 300 now.

Good catch!  I can't think and type at the same time!

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2004 at 17:10

you think your typings bad, check out mine. the worst part is im too lazy to spell check it. that little button is so close, but so far. i figured you jsut missed an I, but i just wanted to make sure.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic