OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best low light scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best low light scope?
    Posted: January/22/2007 at 21:52
i needs me  a  good low light  scope that  will be functional  at  dusk at 10x (a tad more  would be preferable like 12 or 14).

any body  compared the  VX-7's  to   swarovski or  zeiss comparable models yet?
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 22:05

Originally posted by Exoman Exoman wrote:

i needs me  a  good low light  scope that  will be functional  at  dusk at 10x (a tad more  would be preferable like 12 or 14).

any body  compared the  VX-7's  to   swarovski or  zeiss comparable models yet?

This is just my opinion & yes I own a Leupold & Zeiss.

The top of the line Leupold scopes are laughable compared to the top of the line Zeiss, Kahles or Swarovski. I'm not sure what your budget is, but if your budget allows get the a Zeiss 2.5-10x50, 3-12x56 VM/V a Kahles 3-12x56 CL or if you want something with a 14 power Swarovski makes a 4-16. They are great low light scopes at dawn and dusk.

If they aren't in your budget I would still rather get a Zeiss, Swaro or Kahles in a 1" tube. Something along the lines of a 3.5-10x50 or 3-12x56 Zeiss conquest.

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 22:23
I don't think the vx-7's are on the market yet, but with leupolds track record I doubt they will compare to Zeiss, Swaro, Khales or S&B. considering the price range of them I would guess that they will be better than a conquest though
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 22:38
I've heard its hard to beat a S&B. Personally I was looking into the 3-12x50 S&B. Haven't had any personal experience with them though.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 22:42

Exoman, Obi wan is right, Leupold high end scopes are a joke. Best bang for your buck will come with a Kahles AMV coated C,CL,CS,CBX,CSX,and soon to be released KX. The low light optical properties lie in the middle of Swarovski and Zeiss,Zeiss and S&B bieng the best but more expensive.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 23:18

IF you really want a low light scope that works wery well on 12-14X there is really only a few that is good.

Zeiss have tvo versions of the 6-24x72 one military and one civilian.

Both are great scopes and at that high magnification you really needs the 72mm lens.

If you are going to buy a low light scope on a strict budget I would recomend you to buy a fixed 8x56 with german no1 reticle, those can also be found second hand at very reasonable prices. But even new they are not that bad.

And as SVD said, drop Leupold, they are not the choise for low ligth.

Here is my main "night setup". Zeiss military ZF6-24x72 with rubbereyepiece and sunshield (also great for avoiding rain on lenses)

Regards Technika

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 07:46

God that is a big objective!  Any larger and the scopes will have to be made by Astro-Physics or Takahashi. 

All kidding aside and from reading your comments looks like that setup is for way after dusk usage.  I know night hunting is legal for types of game in some areas.  Would think that if the primary intent is just to hunt up to dusk that the average guy could get by with a much smaller oblective i.e.  50 mm, and save some weight.

God save the Empire!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 07:51

if you want bright AND higher magnification i would get the biggest you can.

if you want AFFORDABLE and bright, quality optics, i would get the 3x12x56mm meostar by meopta -

it's super bright at lower magnifications and even at highest magnification (12x, i think?)

your exit pupil would still be 4.66, which ain't bad.

it's all about the objective size, quality of glass, and exit pupil - you HAVE to get big, to get bright at higher power.

my 2 cents - you can get the meostar for under 700 bucks and it compares to upper end swaro and zeiss, without a doubt.

add a german #4 reticle and you are good to go. or add money and get an illluminated.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 07:54
i have seen teloscopes with smaller objective's than tech's scope my gosh.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 09:18

For real low light performace you need a Litton

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 09:27
for low light performance you need a huge spotlight
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Exoman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

IF you really want a low light scope that works wery well on 12-14X there is really only a few that is good.

Zeiss have tvo versions of the 6-24x72 one military and one civilian.

Both are great scopes and at that high magnification you really needs the 72mm lens.

If you are going to buy a low light scope on a strict budget I would recomend you to buy a fixed 8x56 with german no1 reticle, those can also be found second hand at very reasonable prices. But even new they are not that bad.

And as SVD said, drop Leupold, they are not the choise for low ligth.

Here is my main "night setup". Zeiss military ZF6-24x72 with rubbereyepiece and sunshield (also great for avoiding rain on lenses)

Regards Technika

Id love to  get the  6-24 x72 mildot but $3300  is a bit out of my  range. :(
I am   looking more in the $1500  range  at  50 and 56mm objectives.
I also have to have a rangeable reticle like a  tds bdc or  a mildo t or mp8.

I was looking at these

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1674-277-swarovski-3-12x50-profession al-hunter-30mm-riflescope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1548-258-zeiss-3-12x56-diavari-vmv-30 mm-rifle-scope.aspx
I coulda sworn kahles had a tds plex  but I cant  find one.

nice hog btw
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

for low light performance you need a huge spotlight

yeah that  and  a portable police scanner  to  hear  when the game wardens  are on to me..

Edited by Exoman
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 23:14
Zeiss 3-12x56 VM/V will be your best choice.
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 02:08
I own Zeiss VM/V, S&B, and Swarovski PHs.  Of the two you mentioned I would go with the Zeiss VM/V.  I have tested all my scopes against each other and I think the Zeiss and S&B have a slightly brighter view than my Swaros though not by much.  I would add a S&B 3-12x50 to the consideration.  It is also an exceptional scope.  To me it would depend on what rifle I was going to put it on.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 07:17

+1 on the zeiss - it's my favorite spendy scope.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic