OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hello Fine OT Bino experts.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Fine OT Bino experts.....
    Posted: January/22/2007 at 16:36

Have any of you fine Getlemen tried these Binos out or have any comments ..........

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/4625A002/canon_15x50_ima ge_stabilized_binocular.htm

Edited by SVD666
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 19:08
www.cloudynights.com has had discussions on these, and those who own them swear by them.

I don't have enough experience navigating through their system. They do have tons of information, if you can manage to narrow it down to what you are looking for.

It's worth the try if you have the time and the patience.   

Or, you can make things simple by going to www.amazon.com and looking at the customer reviews for these binoculars.

Edited by Bird Watcher
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 19:51
Thank you Bird Watcher for the info I will check cloudynights. I do not trust anything or anybody at Amazon though.

Edited by SVD666
1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 20:38

The Canon stabilized binoculars seem to consistenly get excellent reviews for image quality. Here's from an astronomy site:

http://www.weatherman.com/BINOCS.HTM

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 23:02

Thank you 1stscope for the info,I have decided to pass on these binocs,I am going to wait to see what new products come out this year.

Thank you everybody for your help and great PM's.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 07:39
Are you deadset on image stabilized binoculars?
Frank
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 08:53

I've only tried the Canon 10x42, which is supposed to be their best model.

I can tell you that they are not even close to LeiSwaZeiss in optics quality, but that they are a decent glass. The image stabilization does help you see much more detail than you would by handholding the binos.

I still insist that you don't need a 15x as a hunting binocular, and that you don't need a large and heavy electronic device as a hunting tool.

That 15x50 may be suitable for military/police of for biologists looking at 2 inch drab sparrows in the prairie.  

Edited by anweis
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 14:41

Hello FrankD no Ia m not set on IS binocs. I could have goten them for half price but decided to hold off to see what new binos are going to be released this year. I have the 7x50 Polaris and the 8x56 Nighthunter XP's and was just thinking about getting a higher power binoc with better glass,I have not decided if this is the right thing for me though. I know that in order to get a brighter picture with higher powers you need a larger obj. The Binos I currently have are large enough so I may have to wait to get some premium glass at a good price.

Thank you Anweis and all of you for the great info and PM's. I will check in with you on my future thoughts before buying.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 15:17
Higher power with better glass, sounds like a Minox BD 15x58 BR ED/Fluoride glass with apochromatic color correction.

There is also the Minox BD 10x58 BR ED, for the more conservative-minded individual.

Edited by Bird Watcher
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 16:09

RE: "FINE OT BINO EXPERTS"...I'm by no means a bino expert, but I will admit to being quite fine ...

Anyway, in my humble opinion, I've just never seen a hunting situation where I've wished I had more magnification than 8X or 10X, and I'm not interested in any bino with an exit pupil less than 4mm.  However, you didn't specify whether or not you'd be using them for hunting, and you may not care that much about low light performance.  As for IS, it's a neat technology, but I personally would rather spend the extra $ on higher quality glass.  And, if you don't have either IS or a tripod, I feel it's too hard to hold binos above 10X steady enough to take advantage of the extra magnification, not to mention full size binos above 10X start to become very large and cumbersome IMO.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 17:21

I've hunted with them in S. Texas and was really impressed with the optical quality.  Down side is size, weight and the way they eat batteries.  I had to replace the batteries every single day.   This was before Energizer came out with these

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 17:48
Thank you Chris for the great info.
1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 09:26
The Canons that seem to get the better reviews are some of the higher magnification stabilized models.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic