OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

lets get loading!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lets get loading!
    Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:10

curious if anyone could tell me what they have loaded up in the follow setups and had good accuracy 1moa or less.

25-06-100 grain bullet

270win-130 grain bullet

6.5rem mag-120 or 140 grain bullet

25wssm-120 grain bullet

300wsm-180 grain bullet

i look forward to seeing what you guys have used keep in mind these are for hunting purposes, not target/competition stuff! thanks

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 17:28

reloadersnest.com

That is where I get most of my reloading info!

Excellent site.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 20:41
i have been there. i agree its nice but i figured i would ask here and look there too.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 22:45

Pyro, what do you hunt with your WSM ??  Have many loads for the 7mm or 300wsm...

Edited by hot30
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 07:26
whitetail mostly
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 22:06

Pyro, if you load your own give this one a shot, 

IMR4350-  59gr. (to start)

180gr bullet

The load is SAAMI, I use it out to 100yds...  I keep the speed down to save meat, still has more  knock-down than neccessary..any further I would turn up the heat allittle..  not much..  I can use a few tip styles, it just depends what I have to shoot through to get to the target..

merely a suggestion, 30

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 08:20
ok i will try it although i have never had any luck with 4350 in my entire life. i have had great success with 4064 4895 and 4831, but i will give it a shot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 22:50

Hey Pyro,  If I load with 4064, I tend to load it in a shorter barrel..  Its faster than 4350 wich I load in a longer barrel..  Complete powder burn occurs typically arround 20"of barrel length..  4350 is allitle less sensative to primer inconsistancy, builds power at a more consistant rate.

Fast powder-short barrel  (bullet leaves faster, less down range energy)

Slow powder-longer barrel (bullet leaves slower,more down range energy)

I would be causious using 4064 on heavier bullets..I have found 4350 to be very dependable in my .308, 30.06, 300wsm and my 7mmwsm..  30 cal bullet at 168gr. seems like magic, use it the most ..  7mm wsm, use 160gr..The 7mm out-runs the 300 with ease..    For hunting I guess you need a dependable, consistant load that your rifle likes..I use a 1-10" twist on a 30 cal.

Have fun,30

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 07:02

Hot30, not trying to start an argument just want to understand your comment:

Assuming using the exact same bullet (so same ballistic coefficient), my understanding of energy calc is Velocity squared X bullet weight (in grains) divided by 450499. So at any given range for the same bullet, the one exiting the muzzle at a higher velocity will be carrying more velocity, hence more energy downstream.

Just wondering.

God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 07:50
Originally posted by hot30 hot30 wrote:

Hey Pyro,  If I load with 4064, I tend to load it in a shorter barrel..  Its faster than 4350 wich I load in a longer barrel..  Complete powder burn occurs typically arround 20"of barrel length..  4350 is allitle less sensative to primer inconsistancy, builds power at a more consistant rate.

I would be causious using 4064 on heavier bullets..I have found 4350 to be very dependable in my .308, 30.06, 300wsm and my 7mmwsm..  30 cal bullet at 168gr. seems like magic, use it the most ..  7mm wsm, use 160gr..The 7mm out-runs the 300 with ease..    For hunting I guess you need a dependable, consistant load that your rifle likes..I use a 1-10" twist on a 30 cal.

Have fun,30

i find that intresting because the most accurate load i have ever made was with 50.2 grains of 4064 with a 150 gr sierra spitzer for my m70 30-06 .6 @100yds 5shots and it brought down elk and deer. but that too is not a wsm!! so i will play with the ideas!!

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 23:14

Dogger, I guess the post warrants a good question.. If I say it this way,

longer barrel - slower powder (more velocity, more down range energy)..

the barrel length plays the role in certain ballistic equations, if you load the same caliber, same bullet, same powder but with different barrel lengths the chrono can show you the difference.. If you care to, set the chronograph up at 100yds. I guess my suggestion to Pyro was to be causious with the faster powder with heavy hunting bullets..

Hot 30

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 23:27

Hello Pyro, like your 30.06 load.  Lighter bullet on 4064..(IMR Powder)

Try the 4350 with the 168gr. bullet, 54grs. even..My most accurate load in the Ruger M77. 30.06.. Groups alot like the load your shooting.

My best do-all powder, IMR 4350 and the wsm calibers show alot of current data..

Hot 30

I

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 23:38

Pyro, Dogger,  lets keep this goin, see what we come up with..Outside of being locked in the gun room all day (ha ha) I come back in here to talk and hopfully enjoy good conversation..and to learn..Yah, I know Pyro, Im as old as your dad, Im laughing!!!!!!!!

Hot 30

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 23:55

Here is one for the forum..Which load data do you use the most??

For hunting, I use Lyman 46th and 48th edition (and base for custom loads)

1000yd or less, I use Nosler and Sierra for base loads..

1000yds ore more, you dont want to know..

It might be easier to talk reloading if we knew where some of the info came from..

Hot 30

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2007 at 07:36
Thanks Hot30 - see what you were saying know.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2007 at 08:51
i have been using until recently within the last 5 years and this is somewhat embarrassing, but i used the 2nd edition sierra reloading manual, i started using that one when i was 9-10 years old and havent put it down, but now i have wsm's and wssm's so i had to buy newer stuff so i picked up a copy of richard lee's 2nd edition book and its pretty good but didnt have the wssm's in it so now i am going to have to go buy the new hornady manual or else rely on imr's and hodg. web page data. and another manual in my eyes wont hurt to have. i wish i could remember the load i worked up for my dad m70 .243 xtr with bull barrel, 4895 and a 85 grain sierra bullet we both jumped and yelled when we got to the target and saw the tiny five shot group, 5 .243 bullets under a dime with room to spare. i was stoked, best load i have ever made, i'm thinking it was 38.5 grains of 4895.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2007 at 10:54
Hot30, Pyro:  will leave the detailed discussion up to you fellows, I only reload shot shells.  Find ballistics interesting that's why I posted the question - didn't quite understand the issue.
God save the Empire!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by hot30 hot30 wrote:

Here is one for the forum..Which load data do you use the most??

For hunting, I use Lyman 46th and 48th edition (and base for custom loads)

1000yd or less, I use Nosler and Sierra for base loads..

1000yds ore more, you dont want to know..

It might be easier to talk reloading if we knew where some of the info came from..

Hot 30

I own manuals from Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, etc.

My "go-to" manual is always the latest Nosler edition. I generally find the information therein matches my experiences most closely - even if I am not using Nosler bullets.  (I do refer to the appropriate bullet manufacturer's info to find the bullet's B.C. and S.D. figures) The Barnes manual is used for comparisons and as a secondary source for load development.  The other manuals are older and are only used for curiosity and comparison purposes.

I really like Hornady bullets and I use them often.  However, I NEVER use Hornady's published information to develop load data.  Based on some of the loads I have seen them print, I am relatively convinced that those people have no fear of God at all!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2007 at 20:03

LUCZNIK, I find Hornadys 168gr. hpbt extremely accurate and consistant..It shoots with the Sierra and other match bullets as well..  The Nosler books 6&7 are very mutch the same..If you get a chance to look thru the Lyman 46&48, you might be suprised..Thought about picking up Richard Lees new book, heard its very good..Someone told me he left out the WSMs  RAGE!!!!!

Anybody read thru his book ???

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2007 at 20:07

Dogger, you have a "ballistic" backround ???  Energy calcuations..

Hot 30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic