OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Warne Rings with Weaver Mounts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warne Rings with Weaver Mounts?
    Posted: January/22/2007 at 11:03

Does anyone know if I can use Warne Rings on Weaver mounts....... I tried the "fit" at the store and they seemed to fit ok.  I have a Savage 99 that I have Weaver mounts/bases that fit, but I'm not wanting to use Weaver rings and I've heard good things here regarding Warne hardware.

Thanks

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:17
Warne Maxima rings are compatible with Weaver/Picatinny bases.  Warne Premier and 7.3 are not.  Warne 7.3 rings are, incidentally awesome rimfire rings.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:37

Yea.... I forgot they were Maxima rings......... they are what we have in the store and I've never seen them before so didn't know there were others.

THANKS!

You guys like the Maxima rings......... are they as good/preferred as the others?

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:44
Warne Maxima rings have been my "go-to" rings for a while now.  ALthough, I've been very impressed with TPS rings.

I've sold almost al other rings I have and basically I use Burris Signature Zee rings on varmint rifles (those offset plastic inserts can help with high mag scopes that do not have much adjustment range), Warne rings for almost everything else and TPS rings for 35mm IORs and other tactical looking applications.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:50
Is there a trick to installing them......... I never know just how "tight" to tighten the screws!  The screws that hold the scope... not the ones to the bases.
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:59

If you have a T-15 torx head wrench, place scope in rings, install cap and screws, holding the SHORT END of the wrench, tighten about as tight as you can get it.

Did I mention holding the short end of the T-15 wrench??

Check to make sure gaps are equal on both sides.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:10
I hope RingMaster logs in and corrects me if I am wrong, but with Warne rings (vertically split) I usually tighten the bottom screws completely, and then the top screws.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:17

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I hope RingMaster logs in and corrects me if I am wrong, but with Warne rings (vertically split) I usually tighten the bottom screws completely, and then the top screws.

ILya

My version was for horizonal split rings...And you may well be right about tightening the bottom screws first, koshkin.

I thought Tip69 was looking for "how much to tighten" the ring cap screws.

Edited by cheaptrick
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:19

so, if there is a gap..... it would be on top?   You two seem to have different opinions on this.

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:24
For Warne rings, the gap is on top, yes.  Are you talking about their QD rings or permanent rings?

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:25
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

so, if there is a gap..... it would be on top?   You two seem to have different opinions on this.

My fault for the confusion.

Koshkin's way of install would be correct.

I messed up by telling you HOW MUCH TO TORQUE the screws by using the T-15 wrench.

I'll shut up now..... 

Sorry for the confusion.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:26
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

ILya

My version was for horizonal split rings...And you may well be right about tightening the bottom screws first, koshkin.

I thought Tip69 was looking for "how much to tighten" the ring cap screws.

Does Warne make horizontally split tings?  I am only familiar with vertically split ones.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:36

I think all Warne's are vertical split.

My bad....

My method of "how much to torque the cap screws" should still work and is a good rule of thumb, if you have a T-15 wrench.

I thought that was Tip's question.

The wrench comes standard with certain ring kits.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 13:42

I'm not talking about the QD rings......... just the regular ones that are less expensive.  Sorry for the ignorance, but I've only just learned about Warne products and we only have a few items at our store.

This is going to sound ......... gee.... can't think of the word... but I don't have a lot of confidence in our store's scope mounting guy and it seems this is going to be a problem of the future!  The more Super sized stores we get the less "experts" we have.  I asked him to check out my "work" on the 22-250 I got for the kid.  I wasn't sure I tightened the screws to the proper tension.  I had the scope adjusted pretty well, but was just "breaking" in so I wasn't looking for pin-point results.... anyway...... he said he tightened them just a bit and bore-sited.  He said it was way off.  Next time I go shoot the damn thing...... I'm not on paper at 50 yds!!!!   Now maybe he just made a goof and I shouldn't worry about it......... but it hasn't helped me feel any better.

So that is why all the questions. 

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 14:30
In the regular rings the bottom two actually fix the scope to the rail.  They have to be tightened first.  The top ones are to make sure the scope does not move inside the rings.

As for "experts" in large stores, I hear you.  Every time I go to a gun store I run into some expert of that sort.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 14:40
Yeah, I trust the experts here a lot more. But then, that is kind of like preaching to the choir.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 15:30

....  The top ones are to make sure the scope does not move inside the rings.....

ILya

Koshkin........ this is the part I'm not sure about.  How tight is tight enough?

Do what Cheap suggested?

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 15:48
What cheaptrick suggested will probably work.  THat's more or less what I do and I have not had any problems.  If you particularly ham fisted, remember to not overtighten the screws.  Generally, It is best to use a torque wrench and ask Warne how much force they recommend.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 15:59

I sent Ring Master a email with a link to this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic