OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

burris vs. zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimpenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: burris vs. zeiss
    Posted: January/20/2007 at 22:19

I am considering a new scope and was thinking about the burris 1.5 x 6 x 40 euro diamond 30 mm. I was wondering does anyone know if it compares to the zeiss conquest in clarity, quality, and overall performance? I have looked through the zeiss conquest and it is very clear and bright. Does the burris euro diamond have a side adjustment for parallax? Would this work for a turkey gun adjusted to 50 yards? Zeiss has a new conquest 1.8 x 5 x 38 with a turkey reticle that is parallax set for 50 yards. How important is this for a turkey scope?

nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 08:37
While I have never compared these two directly. . .I think Burris's top of the line glass is the best sub $1100 glass I have compared.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 08:51
i would hope that burris's almost top shelf scope would be better than the bottom line zeiss
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 09:53

For crying out loud - 50 yards -  if you want to shoot turkeys at 50 yards put the bead a 6 inches over their head and pull the trigger. Use 12 guage with full choke.   Sometimes the answer is not better technology the answer is more training and more practice.

If you absolutely must put a scope on a shotgun put an aimpoint on it or an EOTech. At 50 yards what difference does the quality of glass make, you should be able to kill it with any sight with a shotgun at that distance.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jimpenny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimpenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 10:40
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

For crying out loud - 50 yards -  if you want to shoot turkeys at 50 yards put the bead a 6 inches over their head and pull the trigger. Use 12 guage with full choke.   Sometimes the answer is not better technology the answer is more training and more practice.

If you absolutely must put a scope on a shotgun put an aimpoint on it or an EOTech. At 50 yards what difference does the quality of glass make, you should be able to kill it with any sight with a shotgun at that distance.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by jimpenny jimpenny wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Don't get scared off here, jimpenny. He does have a point regarding turkeys. Do you have other uses for these scopes in mind?

Edited by tahqua
jimpenny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimpenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 10:53
I was not talking about shooting a turkey at 50 yards. I guess it sounded that way but I was not. I wanted to know the difference in the 2 scopes and if the Burris is comparable. The parallax is set on 100 yards for the Burris and 50 yards for the Zeiss. Will this matter at all at ranges up to 50 yards? P.S. many of the new turkey loads will reach out to 50 yards very easily. I know there is a debate about whether you should shoot this far at a turkey but that is not what I intended to accomplish with my question on this forum. I wii also use this scope for deer hunting up to 125 yards or less.

Edited by jimpenny
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 11:08

Well, I have shot turkey at 50 yards using a shotgun with the bead site. I know a lot of people are going to scopes on specialty guns and that's cool.

I don't think parallax would be an issue with shot shells but would be for precision shooting. The same would go for deer at 125 yards, parallax with either scope shouldn't matter. There are experts here that know far more than me about parallax but the problems I've always had with it involve small targets over varying ranges.

Edited by tahqua
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 13:35
Unless you just want to spend money, get a Leupold 1-4 Shotgun Model and use the money saved to pattern the gun and sight it in. For deer use either Brenneke Golds (the maximum crusher- smooth or rifled)) or Federal Barnes Sabots ( 3" groups @ 100 with excellent expansion and penetration-rifled only)
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:20
That is a lot of money for a shotgun scope, IMO. Everyone is different and the Leupy would be a sound choice, too. That's just the cheap tool and diemaker part of me talking. The Burris and the Zeiss would be far better optically and in the dark stuff would be of help, brightness wise.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:17
The Euro Diamond scopes I have observed by Burris do not have the glass quality of the Black Diamong or Signature scopes. There have has also been reports from people that I find very creditable saying that the Euro Diamond has shown severe parallax problems at its given range. The Zeiss would be the best choice out of the two scopes.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:47

jimpenny....... I'm still not sure what you are asking/saying!

Are you going to put this on shotgun only or move it around?

take em!
jimpenny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimpenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 14:12
I will leave it on my Browning 12 gauge and not move it around.
twofer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 14:56

Hi Jimpenny,

FWIW:

Just this year I mounted a Burris 1.5-6x40mm Euro-Diamond scope on my Savage Slug Warrior (bolt action rifled 12ga shotgun) for deer season.  I have put about 200 rounds through the gun with the new scope in place, mostly at the target range testing slug rounds.

I took one deer in an open field from a ground blind at 104 yds at 8:00AM on a bright sunny morning with the scope set at 6x.  I took a second deer in heavy woods from a tree stand at 40 yds at 8:25AM on a foggy overcast morning with the scope set at 1.5x.  In both situations I was very happy with the scope's performance.

I've never looked through a Zeiss Conquest scope, so I can't comment on how the view through the Burris Euro-Diamond compares to a Zeiss Conquest.

I can say that I am totally satisfied with the 1.5-6x40 Euro-Diamond, and have no urge to replace it.

YMMV, etc.

--Twofer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic