OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit
    Posted: January/20/2007 at 07:22
I would like to start reloading.  I bought a used Mark V 240Wby. in a synthetic stock and he threw in all the dies, shell holders and tons of brass and bullets.  I have talked to pyro6999 and rifledude about reloading.  What do you guys think about this inexpensive kit, about 70 bucks at most places to start off with.  I know all about the RCBS and Lyman, etc kits, that start around, a little less than 300, but do not seem to give you anymore that this kit,  This one even provides the shell holders.  Know, I know you get what you pay for, but I have read some good comments on this kit.  My logic is, if I get this kit, then I can also afford to get a MEC shotshell reloader at the same time.  Ok, maybe bad logic.  What do you guys think.  And really let me know, what is realistic to start off with, even as far as any accesories, to do the job right.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 07:29

IMHO, my setup has worked well for me loading only for my .308 bolt rifle.

RCBS press, Lee Auto Primer, Lee Deluxe 3 piece die set that includes the Collet neck die, FLS die, and a decent seating die.

The Lee Collet die is very simple to use and provides me with sub MOA accuracy rounds.

The Lee presses have had a few bad reports online of being "cheaply made" and prone to break.

I personally have never used one, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 07:56

Check out the reviews on this kit at (competitor). They are positive. I bought a Rock Chucker kit 25 years ago and have never had a problem. Like you said, though, the Lee kit is a lot cheaper and it sounds to be serviceable.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 08:41
the reason i like the rock chucker so much is because it is heavy duty built for magnums
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 10:51

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the reason i like the rock chucker so much is because it is heavy duty built for magnums

The Rock Chucker is a great press, no doubt, but I have the RCBS Special 5 press (cheaper) and that press has sized mulitple 1000's of .300 Win Mag and .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. cases. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 11:00
i used to use the old jr2 and it did i dont know how many of thousands of rounds but the rock chucker is a big step up!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 11:22

The Rock Chucker is a heavy duty press. It will not deflect, that is for sure. If it is over kill I've never worried about it. I have worried about moving it from bench to bench, though. If you drop it on your foot you will wish you had the Lee.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 11:26
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The Rock Chucker is a heavy duty press. It will not deflect, that is for sure. If it is over kill I've never worried about it. I have worried about moving it from bench to bench, though. If you drop it on your foot you will wish you had the Lee.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:32
In 50 years of reloading there is not much I have not owned (including many defunct ones)Everything from a Ideal tong tool to a Hollywood senior turret (more die stations than Rosie has pounds). Right now I am using a Redding Turret and the new Lee Turret. Each loads as good ammo as the other. The Lee is very well designed and works fine as a progressive or not. The removable turrets (3 or 4 dies) are great as once set, you're done. The auto prime on the press looks like piece of plastic crap and functions perfectly. The Lee dies are as good as anything except MAYBE the Redding dies with the inserts and micrometer seating.
(for 4 times the price). So were I you I'd buy the Lee setup a very good powder scale (Redding or RCBS) and the new RCBS automatic powder scale/dispenser outfit. (I don't trust anything purely electronic to check charges, i.e. to set up the RCBS unit). The Lee will even load 50 BMG so the weakness stories are just that. For a hotrod like the 240 WM the Barnes TSX should prove an exceptional medium game bullet. (I use it in my 244 H&H) Enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:49

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

The Lee will even load 50 BMG so the weakness stories are just that.

I'm not sure about the newer Lee presses, or the press that comes with the kit in question, but the older Lee Challenger?? presses had a lot of breakage issues, or so it seems.

Maybe they got better, I don't know.

You can literally log on to most any reloading forum and hear people complain about Lee presses. At least the older units.  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:53
go green cant lose!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:04
This is my first Lee press and appears bullet proof. Dies have always been good.
Scale & Measure work but just too cheap looking for me. But RCBS/Redding cost a ton more. After reading what some people say about Leupold here, I'm not sure I'd trust unverified opions on Lee elsewhere. Also Lee customer service is excellent dare I say as good as Leupold's ?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:25
I can vouch for Lee customer service. I broke a decapper on some Berdan primed brass. I told them what I did, doh, and they replaced it promptly.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:28

After reading what some people say about Leupold here, I'm not sure I'd trust unverified opions on Lee elsewhere.

Unverified?!?!?

Edited by cheaptrick
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:38
Unverified means there is no proof that would stand the test of a scientific challenge. "Lee sucks cause my cousin Jethro got a case stuck in one." That is unverified.
Read the review of the new Redfield turret in the new Handloader, that's a recognized author on the subject, who tested the item out in the open and published his findings in a reputable forum. Internet blogs are the epitome of unverified.
"Bush blew up the WTC", Diana was murdered by the queen", "JFK was killed by the CIA/Castro/the mob/LBJ (your choice), Flamethrower tanks took out Waco". You can find these and more on the web, "must be true it's on the web." Uh Huh and Hitler and M. Monroe are still alive in Switzerland too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:50

I'm familiar with the term "unverified", Slim.

(I wish you were familiar with the practice of using paragraphs for your rants.) 

I guess you missed Basic English class when you were going through Astronaut training for NASA.

Paragraphs would make your "commentary", easier to read, Slim. 

But alas, just as boring ......      

Dolphin, Good luck with your reloading gear.

Edited by cheaptrick
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:58

Unverified means there is no proof that would stand the test of a scientific challenge. "Lee sucks cause my cousin Jethro got a case stuck in one." That is unverified.
Read the review of the new Redfield turret in the new Handloader, that's a recognized author on the subject, who tested the item out in the open and published his findings in a reputable forum. Internet blogs are the epitome of unverified.
"Bush blew up the WTC", Diana was murdered by the queen", "JFK was killed by the CIA/Castro/the mob/LBJ (your choice), Flamethrower tanks took out Waco". You can find these and more on the web, "must be true it's on the web." Uh Huh and Hitler and M. Monroe are still alive in Switzerland too.

And Barnes TSX are the only bullet you should use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 18:07

I guess Slim's right. 

The hundreds of people online that have bitched about Lee presses breaking and dies that are "rough as a cob" on the inside, are just part of The Big Conspiracy!! 

I could provide links, but what would that prove??

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 18:19
I have seen a lot of this info and not just on the web. I have seen these complaints in magazines and chatter at the club. For me I would rather go with Hornady, Lyman or RCBS.  Redding is a green of a different shade and they have a great reputation. I think Dolphin would have a serviceable press and he said he has the dies so maybe he's good to go. The working surface in the Lee dies is nothing new and I would definitely think about using them.

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 19:58
i wont argue with the lee name, but i will say i love the rcbs stuff
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic