OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

favorite action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: which action do you like best of all?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [22.92%]
6 [6.25%]
16 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [6.25%]
2 [2.08%]
8 [8.33%]
1 [1.04%]
7 [7.29%]
1 [1.04%]
2 [2.08%]
2 [2.08%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [7.29%]
16 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: favorite action
    Posted: January/19/2007 at 23:40

[watch the 700 take 98%]

I personally love weatherby, I like the look of the shroud and the fluted bolt, and I find it to the smoothest working action.

before the remington lovers start chasing me with torches and pitchforks. I also like remingtons, they would be #2 in my book only because of the shape of the bolt [it's doesn't fit my hand very well] and the factory stock, while better than the browning, doesn't cut the mustard compared to the factory stock on weatherby's. And let's not lie, pretty much all factory triggers suck.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 02:00
Remington.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 05:50
Remington
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 07:01
Weatherby.
4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 07:23
Remington 700....tried a lot of others....always come back to the Remington
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 08:38
pre 64 model 70
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Airtraffic101 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airtraffic101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 11:49
Weatherby.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 12:34
You haven't even mentioned the really good ones-BAT,Stoll, Surgeon,Neiska,Cooper,two lug Sakos, Colt Saur, Blazer,Eccles, should I go to 14 so we could take the poll again?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 12:36
i think we were talking mass production off the shelf stuff
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 12:55
how sad
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 12:56
more like what most average people are using!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 13:01
A steyr-mannlicher luxus is what an average shooter uses?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 13:58
great
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 14:15
Remington
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 14:25
Savage 12 Accutrigger
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 21:49
Savage 10fp
We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 01:03

oops, I thought I put savage in there, but I ran out of room, which is why I didn't include the rifles Dale mentioned, so I put the ones that I feel are most common, except now that I look at it I would switch the mossberg with a savage

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 07:49
Now the question was what was your favorite action and I too love the Remington 700 action, Tikka etc.  But, I am going out on a limb and ready to get alot of fire in my face.  But, when it comes to the finest action made, the Mark V has them all beat hands down for strength and smoothness of action, with that short throw for quickness of follow-up shot, not to mention, never have to worry about have the bolt hitting the scope.  I like the Mark V, far better than the Blazer action, which feels quirky like, did I really load a shell.  Really, all the modern actions today are good and have their pluses and minuses, in fact, their was a good article, either in Shooting Times, Rifle Shooter or Field and Stream comparing actions.  They made a mistake and stated the throw for the Mark V was 60 degrees and said the trigger was not adjustable.  But, beyond that it was a good article, describing the differences and what they meant for hunters.  Really, boiled down to what you prefer.  Just my 2 cents, as J would say.  So, I am ready, lets hear it.
dusky-jeff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dusky-jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 09:19
accutrigger set at 2lb. better then a lot of custom jobs and definately the factory 700 action.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 10:19

Hate to sound wishy-washy, but I can't decide on just one.  I like individual features of several different actions.  I like the function of a well-made CRF action like the Dakota 76, Kimber 84M/8400 etc. and the Mauser-style extractors associated with them (really due to nostalgic reasons as much as anything else),  but I have to admit the Rem 700 style enclosed bolt face / counterbored barrel shank push feed design is safer in the rare event of case rupture.  I like the 3 position safety of the Winchester 70 and its clones, the bolt release of the Sako, the Remington trigger (not because of the factory trigger supplied, but because of all the drop in aftermarket triggers designed for it), the 3 lugs and short lift of the Sako 75, the integral Picatinney scope bases of the new T/C Icon, the enclosed bridge receiver design, full diameter bolt, and recessed bolt shroud of the Sauer 200/202 & new T/C Icon, the recessed floorplate release button in the trigger guard of the Ruger 77, with the bedding footprint of a Rem 700.

If I had to pick one, the Dakota M76 and 97, the Kimber 84 and 8400 series, and the Empire 98L come closest to what I like in a hunting action, and the Rem700 and its clones come closest to what I’d choose for an “ultra-accuracy” project -- among factory actions.  Throw in custom actions, and it’s an entirely different ball game.

Then again, I also like an extremely well-made falling block single shot like the Dakota Model 10, mainly for aesthetics and nostalgia reasons.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic