OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

257 weatherby mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:27
in case you forgot the win mag are all based of the H&H case so how does that make you any better?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:40
I don't read "better" in my post. I just ask why? Read the new Handloader it really puts to rest the case shape BS that has been "a fact" for too many years. Trading in your H&H to buy a WM or WSM or WSSM is like leaving your wife to marry your Mother-In-Law.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:42

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

I don't read "better" in my post. I just ask why? Read the new Handloader it really puts to rest the case shape BS that has been "a fact" for too many years. Trading in your H&H to buy a WM or WSM or WSSM is like leaving your wife to marry your Mother-In-Law.

whats your point, we are talking about barrel life and you hijack the tread with this??

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:43
This all started with the .257 Wby. The H&H is grandaddy to all of the original WM's. Ditto the the belted RM's and of course the Wby's. I like all of them for hunting rifles. I am slow to warm to the newer, fatter, shorter, longer, blahblahblah magnums. I am sure this will change, too.  After all they have no belts and this is a good thing, IMO. The important thing to me is that the .257 Wby is a sweet shooting caliber and it is somewhat unique compared to most of the deer guns I see. Barrel wear doesn't matter in my deer guns.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:45

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

This all started with the .257 Wby. The H&H is grandaddy to all of the original WM's. Ditto the the belted RM's and of course the Wby's. I like all of them for hunting rifles. I am slow to warm to the newer, fatter, shorter, longer, blahblahblah magnums. I am sure this will change, too.  After all they have no belts and this is a good thing, IMO. The important thing to me is that the .257 Wby is a sweet shooting caliber and it is somewhat unique compared to most of the deer guns I see. Barrel wear doesn't matter in my deer guns.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:49
i think one thing to remember is that they all accomplish the same goal, bang whoop thud meat!! america is a great place thats why we have the win mag weatherby mag wsm ultra's etc.!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 16:58
Yup, just as long as everyone understands that the H&Hs are superior to any of their offspring or wannabes.

(JOKE JOKE JOKE!!!!!)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:02
i will give you this!! i am just glad they came out with the h&h so we could have this whole disscussion!! be boring to me if all we talked about was .270 30-06 257s
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 17:54

Hey fbombs, we forgot to tell you there is only one bullet to load for that  .257 Wby........

Barnes TSX, Trex............no problem

Edited by tahqua
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 18:40
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

I am sorry if weatherbys are a piece of kaka. Fortunately for weatherby the stock cartridges they make are very close to their factory chambers. If one takes empty brass or FL resized, a slow burning powder and not hot enough primer , the cases will collapse along the shoulder lines. Usually a neck sizer die or partial resizing takes care of this- and the shooter who doesn't and buys factory won't notice. Dolphin you need to shot more a read less gun mags. Both the 257 weatherby, the 270, and the 7 are extremely  (in that order) hard on barrels. The 257 I had only went 800 rds, but I'll admit the 270 did go the full 1000 rds. (mainly because I changed to reduced loads.) By the way my uncle did shoot every species on earth with a FNC sears and Roebuck 270 so stop name dropping a stick to your experience.  In fact the lands of any caliber shooting 85 + grs. of powder will wear the lands substantially, I've even had to rebarrel my 416s. Pyrro I hope your statement on barrel life does not reflect everything you know about barrel life. Both of you should get an over bore a test it for yourself. To me abuse is only shooting a rifle 250 rds. (whats that-you know the gun goes boom when you pull the trigger?) Abuse is 1000 rds full auto thru one of my select fire weapons. Abuse is falling down mountains side and having the horse land on the rifle. (abuse on the horse).

Ok, now we have another self proclaimed expert, who for some reason has read too many forum posts and has not done enough shooting to know what he is talking about.  I hate to tell you this, but reading those words of people who know more than you is what I would call a learning experience.  You might want to try it sometime.  Speak to some real old timers that have shot a 300Wby. for 30 years.  Yes, there are alot of diehards that have done that, believe it or not.  Kaka.  Anytime, anyone makes a blanket statement like that, shows primarily their bias against a certain brand or cartridge and instead of using an intellectual argument to back up his thoughts, he resorts to words that have the meaning crap.  I shoot plenty, own plenty of Wbys. as well as many other brands and calibers and I do not resort to calling any of the brands or calibers Kaka.  Any and I mean any over bored cartridge, especially with a double radius neck is going to have problems, if not properly reloaded.  Again, the 1000 round barrel life is total bullsh*t.  Moder metullargy and avoidance of barrel overheating will allow way past this point and as I have said, this has been well documented.  So you know more than David Petzal, Layne Simpson, Craig Boddington, Roy Weatherby (deceased), etc.  As far a the nine locking lugs.  Yea, they come out of the factory like the quality of a dime store bb gun, usually only one lug engages.  Thats what you make it sound like.  Owning 7 Wbys., every single one has even wear on all nine lugs, so take that an put in whatever you shoot and see if you like it.  Lets see what else have you grossly exagerrated.  So your uncle has shot every species on earth with the Sears and Roebuck 270.  Good caliber, but every speciecs.

What is it that you have against Wby. rifles.  Cannot afford them?  No I doubt that.  Your extreme bias, baffles me.  But, alot of times it is a matter of affordability and therefore there develops a hatred to them.  Do you like a Kreighoff shot gun with its fancy stock and engraving, no to mention tube inserts and custom case.  Merckel maybe.  FAIR.  Londons best.  How about Blazer rifles, calibered in almost all Wby. calibers.  You know Wby. calibers in almost all standard cartridges.  Lazzeroni does not.  What do you think about them.

And the most important point I want to make.   A NEW GUY, LIKE FBOMBS STARTS A THREAD REGARDING THE PURCHASE OF A NEW RIFLE AND HE IS EXCITATED ABOUT HIS PURCHASE.  GREAT RIFLE AND A GREAT CALIBER, DESPITE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT.  INSTEAD OF YOU CONGRATULATING HIM ON HIS PURCHASE AND MOVING ON, YOU sh*t ALL OVER HIS PURCHASE.  IF YOU WANTED TO START A NEW THREAD ABOUT THE CALIBER OR BRAND, THATS WHERE YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IT, NOT ON HIS THREAD, sh*tTING ALL OVER HIM AND MAKING HIM DOUBT HIS PURCHASE.  FBOMBS, IF THERE IS ONE BRAND OF RIFLE I KNOW BETTER THAN MOST, NOT EVERYTHING, IT IS A WBY. AND DO NOT DOUBT YOUR PURCHASE, AND BASED ON THE ILLOGICAL AND HIGHLY BIASED OPINIONS OF DALE CLIFFORD, AKA ROOT JR.  YOU HAVE PURCHASED A FINE RIFLE IN A GREAT CALIBER AND I GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. 

Edited by Dolphin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 19:44

wow now thats the bottom line cause stone cold said so!!                   

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
fbombs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fbombs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 21:43

Thanks everyone, I was just wondering about the recoil. I had already made my decision about the rifle. As for the Monte Carlo stock maybe it is an aquired taste for some but I wanted it because it just felt right and I think in the Deluxe and Mark V it just looks darn good. I am 6' 4" and most other rifles I have held just seemed to small and the Weatherby just felt good to hold. I am not that worried about barrell life because I don't shoot all that much. Maybe 100 rounds a year and at that rate I would get 10 years by Dale's estimation. I think if I take care of it I will be able to make it last a lot longer than that. I am not looking for this gun to be something to shoot every day all day long.

Thanks for all of your input. And I am still very happy with my new rifle. When I get it together I will post some pics.

Milhouse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 22:32

Wow....there are some hunormous egos on here!  DC hates Weatherbys and his uncle killed every SPECIES ON EARTH(????!!!!!!!??????) with a 270.  C'mon, I like a 270 as much as the next guy, but EVERY SPECIES ON EARTH???  I doubt it.  That my friend is just wild hyperbole. I have to raise the BS flag on this one.  By the way, fbombs will not find that only 3 of his nine locking lugs are engaging.....he bought a Vanguard....they only have two locking lugs.  So much for that arguement.  Any way DC has appardently single handedly worn out about 30 rifle barrels.  You, my friend need to get out more, socially that is......

RMS on the other hand evidently sees it as his personal duty to hijack every flippin thread on this forum and extole the virtues of the 300 H & H, and to a lesser extent 244 H & H.  Oh yeah, and let's not forget the wonder projectile, the Barnes TSX. 

Just a little heads up for you guys.........not everyone values your "I'm always right, and the only opinion that matters is mine" attitude that you come across with.  The term "Blowhard" comes to mind......

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 22:43
Originally posted by Milhouse Milhouse wrote:

By the way, fbombs will not find that only 3 of his nine locking lugs are engaging.....he bought a Vanguard....they only have two locking lugs. 

Very true and this gun itself is very strong and well made.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 22:49
Milhouse any relation to you know who? If you read every thread you would find I'm not on every thread so chill out.
Maybe if you had any experience in the real world with H&Hs and TSXs you might not be so sure of yourself. But you don't need that because there are at least 100 Bloggers who can tell you what's right and what's not from the safety of your "flippin" keyboard.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 06:39
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Originally posted by Milhouse Milhouse wrote:

By the way, fbombs will not find that only 3 of his nine locking lugs are engaging.....he bought a Vanguard....they only have two locking lugs. 

Very true and this gun itself is very strong and well made.

Very true, I forgot to mention that.  Thanks.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 06:52
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

A list of the swifts I'v "shot out"

Ruger 77 Atkinson barrel

Ruger #1 Shilen barrel

Remington 700 varmit remington barrel

currently working on a Sako-Douglass

list of 22-250's

Sake III sako barrel

Ruger #1 stock then a Pac-Nor

Remington Lieja barrel

Weatherby Vangaurd

Ruger 77

The 204 swill go to about 2500 depending on how hot its loaded. Don't you have any work of your own done other than quoting magazine hacks?

The 233 WSSM I had was so difficult to neck trim I only kept it for 400rds. By the way I keep records and use erosion gauges. Swifts will last as long as a 223 if you load them down, maybe thats what your friends are doing- do you have experience in this regard?

The comparison, in the browning graph is directly to the point. It shows that the 233 Wssm must be chromed lined to have the same barrel life as a 22-250 which browning then only puts at about 1500. This was one of the main concerns when the round was introduced, erosion in the leades shortening barrel life! 25-06 is short lived again overbores do have shorter lives than the same case using the next sized bigger bullet.

Again, you have proven nothing, but what I said.  Fast movers have shortened barrel lives.  But, in the case of the Wbys., regardless of what you have said, I stand by what I said, those cases are well documented.  Maybe those guys took better care of their rifles.  Could it be the Kreiger barrels that Wby. uses?  Could it be you a full of BS?  Again, your original post was to slam Wby., now you have recanted, which is good, but still unbelievable you have shot out that many barrels.  It must be a world record.  I personally, have a job and do not have enough time in a week to shoot enough to wear out one barrel in a year.  And if I did, there is a thing called, and it novel, and I am sure up have heard of it, and it is cost effective, especially if you spent 1000 dollars on a rifle, its called, are you ready, rebarreling the rifle at around 350 to 400 bucks.  Shoot it out again, and guess what, do the same thing.  And by the way you talk, it sounds like you can do it yourself and save a few bucks.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 07:35

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

Here are some truths to ponder from a geezer:
1. The 244 H&H is faster, flatter and MUCH OLDER than the the 240 WB. It is a HUNTING rifle so bbl life is a ho-hum subject.(after I've shot 500 sighting rounds and 500 Antelope/Deer I may have to get a new bbl.)
2. The 300 H&H is the most efficient 30 cal magnum in fps/gr of powder.(per Ken Waters) Also the oldest and the FAR least probable to have feeding problems.(See current Handloader)
3. The Ruger 375 WILL NOT equal or exceed the 375 H&H with any loads of the same pressure range. If "hotrodded" a bit the old H&H will leave it in the dust. Contrary to Ruger hype: X grains of powder behind X grains of bullet in cases of near equal capacity in bbls of equal length will have insignificent velocity differences.(See current Handloader)
4. There have been no recorded cases of a hunter (not some dude) ever being eaten or stomped cause he/she "short stroked" an H&H (or any other real magnum)
Sooooo, the geezer wonder why do I need a 30-06 or 308 action length in a magnum rifle that should weigh at least 9 pounds all up
(if that's too heavy stop "supersizing" or go to the gym)
The geezer thinks that all the WMs WSMs and WSSMs are just another way to create false product differentiation and get your money.
Maybe the new 30 TC is worth a look as it promises 30-06 performance in a 308 length case (no Virgina a 308 is not equal to a 30-06) and the ICON really looks like a NEW rifle rather than a rehashed steel tube or mauser action.
I suggest if you shoot a lot and fry bbls, buy a Savage in 22-250 as you can change and headspace bbls with a few simple tools and a headspace gauge.

Root, who cares if the 300 H&H is the most efficient 30 caliber out there with ballistics like these, especially for long range hunting.  30-378 Wby. for comparison.  I will post more ballistics, showing how superior the 240Wby. is to the 244 H&H is later.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 09:24
Hmm- The Weatherby factory site says an 85 BARNES (!!!!) TSX has an MV of 3500 FPS. (that with freebore). My unfreebored 244 H&H 700 does 3700 with that same bullet @ 15'.Generally speaking same bore, same bullet, more powder =s more FPS. Take the 30-378 for example......
Milhouse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 10:42
Ya, I thought that may hit a nerve or two.....what do they say about the truth?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic