OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Dangerous Game Scope... Options?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PostDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dangerous Game Scope... Options?
    Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:19

Hi all,

I'm having a .416 Hoffman build and need to find the right scope.  I want a 1-4 or 1.5-5, second focal plane scope with either a #4 or something very close.  The new Swaro Z6 has my attention, but what are my other options????

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:25

Hello PostDriver, welcome to the OT. Here is another great option.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/51806/kahles_1.1-4x24_he lia_csx_30mm_riflescope.htm

smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:27
Depends on how much you want to spend. Other options would be the Burris Signature Safari line or Leupold VXIII. Several of the European scope also in this range but will be more expensive.
PostDriver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PostDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:41

Thank, SVD666, that might just be the one for me!

I had looked at the Khales line but didn't notice this particular one.  The only concern I have is whether the illumination will 'grab' your eye for focus and obliterate the target when you're concentrated on the reticle.  Certainly don't want that to happen when it hits the fan.

What are your (and others') experience when using these illuminated reticles?

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:46

As good as Swarovski glass is I would consider the glass in this CSX a tad brihghter in low light. The iluminated reticle is very well desighned and could be turned down very dim or off if you are in a very dangerous hunt and do not want any distraction at all. The very best scope of this kind is the S&B PMII 1-4 #7 but it is a front focal plane scope.

http://www.kahlesoptik.com/index.php?menu=24&sprache=0&a mp;a mp;pf=1&model_id=56

Front focal:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/9467/schmidt_bender_1.1- 4x20_police_marksman_ii_30mm_riflescope.htm

Edited by SVD666
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 08:37

Illuminated reticle is waaay overrated-it is great help at night-on the lowest possible setting,but extra bright daytime illuminated reticles are in my opinion worthless.If you are hunting running game they will leave a red trace while you are sighting (something like staring in a bulb)-tried&tested.Best bet would be to pick non-illuminated circle-dot,german post or heavy duplex reticle.

Cheers

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PostDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 09:50

To be honest, I'd really prefer a non-illuminated.  The problem is, the scopes that are available in that power range all have first focal plane reticles.  The exception is the Kahles with the illuminated.  I'd probably keep the light turned completely off anyway. 

I agree, and again state my objective: low power, 2nd plane, hopefully nonilluminated.  So far, haven't found anything except the Z6 that will meet those goals.  However, for about the same $$ as the Z6 nonilluminated, I can buy the Kahles.

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 11:22

Leupold is also 2nd focal plane.

Cheers

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 11:39
Take a look at the Nightforce 1x4 weight at 17 oz, 2nd fp, look at the tapered and the ch-2 reticle outstanding. Although the reticle is illuminated it is variable and shuts off.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 12:51
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Hello PostDriver, welcome to the OT. Here is another great option.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/51806/kahles_1.1-4x24_he lia_csx_30mm_riflescope.htm

If and when I step up from the 1.5-5 VariX-III on my .375, that's it................yeah baby

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 13:30
I have a leupold 1-4 shotgun model on my 400 H&H (see pic) and it has yet to bite me.
All the optics stuff is nice but EYE RELIEF is the most important factor for a scope on a hard kicker. You'll note that the 1-4 is as far forward as I could get it as I am a stock crawler. If it were a Leupold or Lyman Alaskan that eye piece could be right over the striker (even safer). I have a Weaver 60 series K-1 with the 5 min dot on my BPS 10 bore for goose, duck and turkey. It too has never failed and has gobs of eye relief. All things being equal, the lower and farther forward on a weapon to be used on moving targets, the better off you are.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PostDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 18:10

SVD666, I'd like to thank you again for pointing me in the direction of that Kahles.  I found one on eBay (of all things) and after about a dozen emails verifying the warranty card, checking the serial # with Kahles, etc., I bought it.  Got a good deal, and am looking forward to using it.  Every once in a while a blind sow finds an acorn

Edited by PostDriver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic