OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Savage Striker in .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loder16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Savage Striker in .308
    Posted: March/02/2004 at 14:51

Hi! I've been contemplating buying a Savage Striker in .308 cal for whitetail hunting and some bench work. I had a Burris 2x7 on a T/C Contender in 30/30 before and was pleased with it but I'm wondering if I should step up to the 3x12 with this one. I really like the balistic plex but it's not available with the posi-lock option. Will I need the posi-lock for a .308? If not I'll definitely get the 3x12 but if it's really advantageous to have the posi-lock, I know the 2x7 will be adequate. Thanks!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2004 at 18:31

I own one in .260 and put a 3-12 B-Plex on it and absolutely love it.  In my opinion no one "needs" the posi-lock.  The scope is designed and built to hold the reticle just fine with out it.  It is just an added heavy duty option and should not be a make it or break it decision maker.

Burris 3-12 Handgun with the Ballistic Plex Reticle......$329.95

loder16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loder16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2004 at 20:12

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I just talked to my FFL and he's ordering it tomorrow, I can't wait for my "Fist full of Fury"!!! :o)

What are your thoughts on rings? I had a 3 ring TSOB (Tough son of bitch) on the Contender and that thing was pretty solid but I'm thinking Leupold PRW or Mark4 for the Striker...

So do you really like the Striker? I had been out of handgun hunting for quite a few years since I sold the T/C but this thing has me excited about it again. Have you done trigger work to it and can you get MOA groups at 100 yds w/ match ammo? Thanks again!

Kurt

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2004 at 11:31

Kurt,

The ultimate would be Badger Ordnance rings and bases. Plus Leupold does make a Mark 4 base for Savage at this time.

I love my Striker.  I like keeping it in the truck or on the four wheeler for quick unexpected shots.  I did do trigger work but have not really tried to get it to group yet, I can tell you that it does shoot deer moa though..   I am not super serious with it and have only been shooting off the shelf el cheapo ammo so far.  But your questions might make me see what she'll do, all I need is an excuse to go shootin' and now I have one.

loder16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loder16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2004 at 21:54

Hey Chris, just picked up my Striker today!!

I'm pretty psyched, very impressed with the overall package but probably will get a little work done on the trigger. Not too bad but could be better, wonder if they'll ever come out with an accu-trigger for these that I could retrofit. Guys who I've talked to that have had them, love them but Rifle Basix makes one that I'll most likely get....

Now... scope bases. I think I want to replace the aluminum with a 1 piece steel Leupold Mark4 if you can get one. I do want one that has a similiar cutout for shell extraction though. Do they have that or are they like the full picatinny base on the Badgers? I couldn't find any pics or listings here. Or what about IOR maybe?

I'm definitely going with the Burris 3-12 B-plex and probably the Mark4 1" rings, I'd just rather not use the 1" adaptors for the Badger 30mm rings... 

Thanks and good shooting!

Kurt

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2004 at 11:50

Kurt,

An AccuTrigger would be awesome.  They have to be thinking about doing it or at least offering it as an option.

Leupold does not make a Mark 4 base for the Savage.  You would have to go with a Badger or IOR (both are relieved on the underside for ejection).  You can use the Mark 4 rings on either a Badger or IOR base.  The ultimate for Savage is Farrell mounts (relatively new and we do not carry them yet) http://www.kenfarrell.com/cgi-bin/kenfarrell.cgi/index.html

striker260 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striker260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2006 at 11:28
i too own the savage 260   and reload with good results. 100 yrd groups are touching but i put a Leupold 2 power on it and i personally do not like the scope would like to find one that i could have adjustable power . dont know what any one out there uses but have had a simmons and leupold fixed and have hard time seeing target. i have to move cross hair up and then pull down and fire. but i do get good groups though. been loading 120grn with imr powder and was much better then rem factory loads.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 10:48

The eye relief on the 3-12 with balistic plex is not useable over about 6X unless you have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of time and sandbags. A bench rest guy would love this scope but it sucks for hunting. For hunting  try the 1x it has unlimited eye relief comes on target instantly and is quite durable mine is on an encore 45-70 and I shoot some smoking hot loads.  If you want the 3-12 balistic plex I just traded one in here that is in mint condition ask them about it.

200424 Burris 1x Short Mag Rifle Scope Burris 1x Short Mag Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $185.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 17:22

I have used the 3-12X for hunting on many different rigs, the most recent being a 7-270 WSM XP-100 for deer, and one of my all time favorite coyote/long-range rigs was a 6.5-284 XP-100, and 12X was not easy to apply for hunting, but is manageable once u get used to it. If u take running shots though 12X is unmanageable. Shot both my bighorn ram (12X), and goat (8X), and several elk. It is difficult from prone unless u get a mount that will allow u to move the scope further forward such as the Farrell, or Near base system. I like the Near picatinny as it has a bit more flexibility for mounting the scope than the Farrell. My hunting partner and i both competed in the International Tactical Rifleman's Competition in Gillette WY 8/04 against some pretty elite military/police sniper teams and some civilian practical shooters using this scope set at 12X the entire time, engaging tgts. out to 700 yds., and we didn't do too badly with our "handguns". Not quite 50% in the standings-- and this is a roving field course that's a timed, PRESSURE shoot.

This being said for what u're looking for the 2-7 should be just fine really. The Ballistic Plex can be installed in that scope for $50.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic