OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need new Binos, my budget is $200 max

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need new Binos, my budget is $200 max
    Posted: January/19/2007 at 09:02

after all I have learned about optics here in the last month, I realize I need new Binos for Deer hunting (counting points and making sure it's not a button buck). I really don't want any Leupolds. I think I need 10x50 or 12x50, I do mostly stand/box blind hunting. I would like to stay under 200.00  any help would be appreciated!!

thanks in advance -js

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 09:13

Celestron Ultima DX porro prism, probably the best 10x at that price, or this Pentax, but i don't think that you need a 10x

Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II Binocular

• Rubber Armored
  • Porro Prism
  • Center Focus
  • Waterproof
  • Free Objective Lens Caps w/ Purchase
  • Free Eyepiece Lens Caps (rain-shielding) w/ Purchase
  • Free Case w/ Purchase
  • Free Neck Strap w/ Purchase

SWFA:

$178.95

More Info... Buy Now
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 11:21
Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro prism FOV 430'

Pentax PCF WP II 8x40 porro prism FOV 300'

Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 porro prism FOV 429'

Garrett Optical Classic 8x45 PCF-WP porro prism FOV 420'

All binoculars listed are waterproof/fogproof.

Edited by Bird Watcher
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 11:24

The others have given some excellent suggestions and have followed the same thought process that I came up with after reading your post. If you are looking for an upgrade in optical quality without getting more expensive than you listed then a porro prism in that price range is the way to go.

The Celestron Ultima DX has me interested as well but not necessarily in that configuration. The less expensive Outland LX has received some very positive reviews for optical quality but very poor comments on quality control.

Frank
Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 13:06

thanks guys, ANWEIS stated I don't need 10X. what do ya'll suggest instead of 10X? I assume ya'll think 10X is too much magnification?

I have a open mind and I am still learning about optics, I have always used cheap scopes and binos. I also have orded the JB book. should be in next week.

thanks in advance -js

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 13:52
What kind of distances are you talking about? I would think that if you are mostly shooting 300 yds. and under, you would be better served by looking at the same binoculars in an 8x. The 8x will have less "shake" when handholding, and, it will be brighter under low-light conditions.

I changed the above list from 10x to 8x, if you want to look at the FOV/Field of View.

Do you wear eyeglasses?

Edited by Bird Watcher
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 17:19
10x and 8x are the choices. Try both. Thre are a few 8.5x models out there but not really woth the trouble at this price range. The 8x models  vary quite a bit. But most 8x40 porros, above, will give good wide field. There might be some Monarch 8x36s out there for 250 or so. May work.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 17:56

my max distance would be 300 yards. so I guess 8x would be fine. I do need something that will work good in low light and cause of that I was thinking I needed a 50 objective, correct me if I am wrong. I really like nikon products.

thanks again guys!!

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 18:33
The major complaint(s) about 50mm is the bulkier size and the extra ounces.

The easiest thing for you to do is to go to a Sporting Goods Store that carries the Nikon Action Extreme ATB binoculars, and, look through the 8x40 and the 10x50, and see if the 10x "shakes" too much when handholding them, and if the 50mm is brighter enough to your eyes to warrant buying them.

It would be nice if you could look through both of them around sunset, to check the lowlight differences between the two.
chmcmm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmcmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 19:42
I was in the same boat a few years ago. I bought a pair of Pentax PCF WP 10x50 binos. Excellent bino for the money. I keep them in my car now. My hunting binos are now a pair of Minox BL 8x42's. I've looked through Nikon Monarch's. Decent glass for the money. Bright but not as clear and crisp as more expensive glass.

IMHO if you could wait another year or two and up your budget to $400 you'd get something a lot nicer. I'd stick to the 8x40 range. I really like the Minox. I hear nice things about the Pentax DCF SP. Nice glass, small and light weight. Also, get the bino buddy strap or something similar. Looks kind of odd but really is nice.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 17:01
Just in case you are still interested in 50mm, but, at a lower magnification, you could also look at the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7x50mm.

You could make comparisons between all three, 8x40, 7x50 and 10x50.

Edited by Bird Watcher
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 10:29
I recommend Nikon Action as a good quality budget binocular, but i feel that Celestron Ultima DX are the cat's meow these days. Their quality is astounding at that price. Had i not been priviledged with a Swarovski and others alike, i would have used  a 8x32 Ultima DX knowing that i missed nothing. Their brightness, edge to edge sharpness, and sturdiness are fantastic.They have wide field of view and long eye relief.

Edited by anweis
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:58
Thanks Guys. I am not in a hurry, so I will research as much as possible. I don't need these until next hunting season.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 17:20
Looks good, the 8x32 Ultima. I will need to see how it feels, before any purchase. Though I would like to see a full line, the Ultimas have very few options.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 07:37

Tero,

I would have to agree. On paper the 8x32 Ultima DX looks excellent, except for the weight which is quite a bit heavier than just about every other 8x32, porro or roof, that I know of.

Frank
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 10:26
Although almost any binocular could be used for hunting, it is interesting that Celestron does not mention anything about hunting applications in its advertising.

I guess only time will tell if they are constructed to withstand the rigors of hunting, in all climates and in all temperatures.   
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 10:00
I looked thru a nikon action extreme 10x50 last night at academy and WOW! I like them. I still want to checkout the pentax binos before making a selection.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 17:32
Nikon Action Extreme ATB 10x50 FOV 341'

vs.

Pentax PCF WP II 10x50 porro FOV 261'
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 07:33
I do not think you can really go wrong with either selection. As BW posted there is some difference in their specs but you also have to consider how much of that field of view is free from distortion. 261 feet is a bit tight for my tastes though, distortion free or not.
Frank
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 19:30
Yep the WP II's have a more narrow field of view but they are sharper and you can see well at the edges.  The Nikons are very good also (I have a pair) but they are sharp only in the center 2/3's.  Fuzzy near the edge.  Overall sharpness goes to the WP II's.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic