OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Binoculars
    Posted: January/18/2007 at 00:22

I have from time to time showed pictures of a number of older optics here.

I do use 60 year old binoculars as much as I use modern stuff.

And as a free lance write and firearms editor for one magazine I do test a lot of optics.

Here is some of the older stuff I am using.

This is a Dutch Nedinsco, (System Carl Zeiss Jena) and the factory was under German control during the war.

The eyecups are of "gasmask model" so they should be retracted while using gasmasks, this fits me well as I am using often glasses. FOV is 8,5 degree and that is considered as very good.

Baush & Lomb 7x50 M16 and M17 offers also good binoculars that can be used today.

Delfort 18x50 from around 1922 is not the best example of good user value, but still it can be nice to use it just for the fun of it.

AT the height of the optical development is the 8x60 HT.

This is produced in february 1936 in the first batch of 20 binoculars that had coated lenses.

The h construction meant that the field lens was cemeted together with the prisms.

Porro 2 construction

Before Nikon was name Nikon it was Nippon Kogaku.

This was made during the US occupation and even though those binoculars not offers the best optical performance, they could previosly be had at money where it didn't matters if they got stolen.

So I have always one of those in my car.

Do you have any vintage binoculars that you use?

Regards Technika

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 08:52
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

Why should i use a 2500 gram piece of individual focus junk when i have a 600 gram central focus split bridge Swarovski?

By the way, as a kid i used a beh marked 7x50 individual focus, 1940 vintage. I am glad that i don't have to anymore.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 11:50

Using vintage binoculars, scopes, cameras etc is mainly because I like old style quality.

Some of those items would simply be to expensive to manufacture today.

It's problably the same reason why some people are using rolling blocks, others drive T fords and some renovats old houses.

There is really no reason for you to use this kind of equipment, and that was not what this thread is about.

This thread is about the same things at the similar thread in the riflescope section.

By the way there is really no reason to have a discussion with you about those matters as you already have a very bad attitude and behavour from the beginning.

Technika

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 15:42

anweis:

What's the problem?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:31

I'm sure vintage binoculars are interesting for their history and are almost guaranteed "conversation-starters" in crowds (especially some of those larger and more exotic looking models like that 18x Delfort.) 

However, I sure wouldn't want to have to carry them around MY neck as I drag my butt around the mountains near my home.  I also would not want to be relying on their 40-60+ year-old seals to hold during the kinds of "bad" weather we often get around here.

Of course, this is all besides the fact that I doubt they can favorably compare optically to the high-quality optics available today.

If I were prone to collecting, I would think they would look cool on a mantle peice where they could be seen, admired, and discussed but, they just can't quite cut it as serious outdoor gear anymore.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 02:47

Vintage binoculars as well as rifles, cameras , scopes etc are not used because they are better.

Often they do have some qualities that are better but generally they are not.

But they are used becuase of the feel for the old style quality that is to expensive to manufacture today.

They are used because of their historical values.

But when it comes to watertightness of those, the sealings are made for marine use and they are that way far better sealed than the majority of modern centerfocus binocular.

I have had a brand new Zeiss classic centerfocus that got moist inside while walking in thick haze, but I never had a old marine binocular get wet inside in the worst of rains.

I don't use really big binoculars when i walk around, I use small or medium sized binoculars then, like a rubber armourd Zeiss from the 70th 6x30 with 8,5degrees FOV.  or a vintage 6x30.

The big ones are used when I am sitting and waiting for the game to come, and espesially at nights.

Regards Technika

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 06:43
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

anweis:

What's the problem?

Two actually:

1. the "best in the world, you don't know what you are doing if you don't use this" attitude. 

2. a knee with a lot of pain.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 21:58

“As a free lance write[r] and firearms editor...”

“As a[n] inventor…”

worked as a toolmaker for 8 years and gunsmith for 10 years.”

Wow man, you sure do "get around."

There is really no reason for you to use this kind of equipment, and that was not what this thread is about.

Except of course that they are superior to all modern "non-German-speaking" manufacturers' offerings. Especially those built for military use.   At least that's what you've been trying to convince us all of in other threads.

By the way there is really no reason to have a discussion with you about those matters as you already have a very bad attitude and behavour from the beginning.

You said a similar thing to me on another thread.  Could it be that you just don't like the fact that we keep disputing the merits of your assertions rather than simply cowering behind your "obviously higher class" tastes in optics. 

You should be happy though! After all; with all of us uneducated, inexperienced, low-brow, redneck beatnicks coveting the useless, poorly designed, inferiorly made, optically challenged, modern offerings of Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, Minox, Kahles, Pentax, etc., you will never have to worry that we might beat you to another great deal on one of those fantastic, optically superior, well made, "military grade" optics from the genius German craftsmen of 60 - 80 years ago.  

Edited by lucznik
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:01
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

anweis:

What's the problem?

Two actually:

1. the "best in the world, you don't know what you are doing if you don't use this" attitude. 

2. a knee with a lot of pain.

Anweis,

Sorry to hear about your knee.  Is this a new injury or an chronic aggravation?

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 18:46
[QUOTE=anweis] 

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:54
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 18:59
Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Why should i use a 2500 gram piece of individual focus junk when i have a 600 gram central focus split bridge Swarovski?

By the way, as a kid i used a beh marked 7x50 individual focus, 1940 vintage. I am glad that i don't have to anymore.

Individual junk?????
wow -you dont know what you are talking about.
The blc 8x60 is the best ever made.
And individual focus is much bether than central focus.

We've already gone the rounds with the IF vs. CF debate.  You should do some searching for the various threads on the topic as I'm pretty sure noone wants to spend the time retyping it all.

Of course, you could also just take the short route and simply accept that you are wrong. 

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 19:08
[QUOTE=lucznik]

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:56
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 19:21

While I'm sure it has great optics and is also probably a great conversation starter, that green monstrosity is not a field glass by any stretch of the imagination.

Come hunt in my backyard and try to hump that Zeiss for a day.  I'm quite sure you'll be stone dead within the hour. 

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 23:35
[QUOTE=lucznik]

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:57
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 00:27
Btw

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 12:00
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:53

Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

why do you think that my zeiss DF 7x50 from 1920 is still working well with individual focus and the opticron 10x42 failed with the focus mecanism after 1 year.

Operator error.

Edited by lucznik
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 14:39
[QUOTE=lucznik]

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:59
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 11:00

To each his own, zeissoem2.  I've tried IF binos -- even high quality ones -- and I don't like them at all.  Despite the fact that what you say is true about your eyes' ability to focus using the IF binos, I've found you get a much crisper image with a good center focus bino, and if you have a high end model CF bino with a broad depth of field combined with a relatively fast focus knob, you really don't have to do much focusing at all.  I've never found using the focus knob to be such a nuisance anyway, as it doesn't take but a couple seconds.  With IF, you are requiring your eyes do the fine focusing through the optic, and therefore, depending on the distance an object is viewed at, it is never in as precise focus as it could be with a good center focus model, since any IF settings are a compromise to cover a broad range.  I've found I get much more eye fatigue with IF than with CF. 

I'm sure that oem2 green thing you have there is a very finely made piece of equipment that probably has great optics, but to say that would be a good choice for spot and stalk hunting is ridiculous!  It would be about as useful as carrying around a blacksmith anvil!  If I'm elk hunting in the mountains of the American west, walking up and down steep, rugged terrain all day long for many many miles/Kms carrying a lot of gear, that would be the very last piece of gear I'd want to be stuck with, especially if I have to pack out an animal at the end of the day! 

I think vintage optics are interesting from a historical viewpoint, and they are often very well made with good optics, but lens coating technology and glass quality have advanced significantly since those models were made.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 00:29
[QUOTE=RifleDude] �

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:58
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 16:36

It's also "possible" to carry a boat anchor around all day, but who would want to?  Most here use binos for carrying in the field, for hunting and/or birdwatching, not as a substitute for a telescope.  That oem2 is ridiculously large and bulky for normal field use, regardless of its other virtues.  Even if we assume it has the best optics money can buy... it isn't made anymore, it isn't convenient to carry, there aren't very many available for sale, and most people wouldn't spend the high cost.  I'm sure with the tripod and solid construction, it's great for stationary viewing as you show in the photos, but as an everyday "go anywhere" bino, it would be basically useless.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic