OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX III, 4200, or wait on new Nikons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX III, 4200, or wait on new Nikons
    Posted: January/17/2007 at 16:10

Still can't decide on a scope.  I was originally set on a Nikon, but I like the fact that you can get a Bushnell 4200 with a 16x zoom in a 50mm.  I had pretty much decided on the 4200 listed below when a friend of mine told me he would sell me his Leupold for $500.  He had a Leupold that he sent back 3 times because he couldn't get a good grouping at 200 yds with a .270 WSM.  The first 2 times they sent him the same scope and said they fixed the problem.  On the 3rd time they sent him a brand new one.  They discontinued the model that he was having trouble with and upgraded him to the VXIII listed below.  In the meantime, fed up with Leupold, he went out and bought a $1200 Swarovski and now just wants to make his money back on the Leupold. 

I also read in a previous post that Nikon is supposed to be coming out with their new stuff in a week or so.  I like Nikon products but they don't have any scopes with a zoom up to 14 or 16 in a 50mm.  I'm leary about buying the Leupold even though it is a new scope/different model because I don't want to have the same problem.

So my question:  VXIII for $500 from a buddy, 4200 for $435, or wait on what Nikon will be offering (hopefully a 14x zoom in a 50mm)?

Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU55132/leupold_4.5-14x 50_vx-iii_30mm_riflescope.htm

Leupold VXIII

4.5-14x50

30mm

Long Range

AO

679.95 (Can get from friend for $500)

Bushnell 4-16x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/424165M/bushnell_4-16x50 _elite_4200_rifle_scope.htm

Bushnell 4200

4-16x50

AO

1"

$435

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 16:17
The current Nikon Monarch clearance scopes are your best investment right now for a scope in this performance category.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:04
Current prices on Nikons are spectacular and I ordered a 5.5-16.5x44 myself, although I am certainly not a Nikon guy.

I am not sure why 50mm objective lens is so important to you, but it is certainly a personal choice.   Between the Leupy above and the Elite 4200, I would go with Elite 4200.   Both are good scopes, but I believe Elite 4200 has better glass and still costs less.  The only real advantage of the Leupy is the increased adjustment range,  but that can typically be worked around.

What application is this for?

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:36

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

although I am certainly not a Nikon guy.

Yet.......

My Nikon Foo powers grow stronger.........You can't resist!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:38
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

although I am certainly not a Nikon guy.

Yet.......

My Nikon Foo powers grow stronger.........You can't resist!!

Keep talking.  Once I receive the scope I'll give it a fair and unbiased test .  Then we'll see what you say.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:40

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:46
I would never do that.  Maybe this:

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:57

Fair and unbiased, he says!!!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 18:15
ILya, make sure you check with Barness first.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 18:27
Why Barsness, when I could simply ask his avatar, E?

In all fairness, Roy, it is not Barseness' fault that some random moron keeps on misquoting him.

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 18:36

I Can't resist,

RRRRRROOOLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!!!

OK, thats out of my system.

First i'd ask what do you want to do with this scope?  Hunt here in Bama?  Kill paper?

If shootin' here where?, South bama over soybean fields or in the pine thickets? It all matter what your going to do with it?  give us more info Aubie!!!

Edited by Steelbenz
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 19:33

Barsness is a good writer. Check the CF for the latest. MD's post might cure the idiot from future DEVA quoting.

brasskeeper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 21:30

The deal on the leuopold is allmost to good to pass up but I would also look at the clearence sale on the monarch to see if there was one with the specs you want.

On another note I really like the warranty from bushnell on the elite series,  "no questions, no proof of purchase required"

Hard decision.

AuburnEngineer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 23:06
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I Can't resist,

RRRRRROOOLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!!!

War D Eagle!!!

I will be using the gun for deer hunting in Alabama.  Most of my shots will be inside 200 yards.  My hunting property is located on a powerline so there are some chances of some longer shots.  Even if I don't shoot, I at least like to be able to zoom in and watch a deer if I see on 400+ yds away which is why I want the higher powered zoom. 

As for the objective lense, I assume that the scopes I have mentioned as well as some others in the same price range will have close to the same quality of glass.  The bigger the exit pupil, the more light, the longer I can see.  Going from a 44 to a 50 is only 6mm, which seems small, but it is a 30% increase in surface area.  So I assume I will get more light out of a 50mm than I will a 44mm (set at the same power of course).  My logic may be flawed, but that is it none the less. 

I have considered the 44mm Nikon's 5.5-16.5 and if I could look through it and then look through a 50mm and compare the two, I would feel better.  I just don't want to order it and then look through a 50mm scope and wish I would have gotten a different one. 

The deal on the Leopold is a good one, but from everything I've read on these forums, I think I'll either stick with the monarch or the 4200.  And unless someone can convince me that I will pull just as much light with the 44mm as I would the 50mm then I'll probably go with the Bushnell.

Thanks for all the input...even the random arguing with the Emoticons! LOL!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 01:22
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Barsness is a good writer. Check the CF for the latest. MD's post might cure the idiot from future DEVA quoting.

Unlikely.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 01:56
The difference between objective lenses will only come to play at higher magnification and in low light.  Unless you plan to truly use it the middle of the night, there will be very little, if any, practical difference.

I still think that Elite 4200 is the best glass out of these choices, but Monarch is certainly a better deal at these prices.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic