OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What scope would you put on your favorite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What scope would you put on your favorite
    Posted: January/17/2007 at 09:50

.22 cal rifle, within the $200 dollar range without going over it?  I have a 90's model Bushnell Banner (lol) on mine which is acceptable but would like to upgrade to a little better scope in the 3-9X range.  Elite 3200?  or something else????

thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 10:46

In 3X9, I would buy Sightron SII or Burris FF.

I am looking at higher magnification for my rimfire and considering Mueller, Swift, something that focuses under 50yds is the challenge.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 19:57
For a 22 rimfire, recoil is not a problem, so spending alot of money for a scope that is built to withstand alot of recoil does not make alot of sense.  That is why alot of scope makers offer rimfire scopes.  My personal opinion is to buy a good quality scope from a maker, from their lower line of scopes.  The Bushnell Legend of Trophy scopes are fine.  Weaver rimfire scopes are fine.  The Mueller or Swift premier scopes are fine.  You know the Tasco and BSA scope would probably do the job just fine.  The more expensive scope will probably be a little tougher, but that is a subjective opinion.  On my .17HMR I have some el cheapo, that at the bench will shoot quarter size groups all day long.  I think it is a Simmons Blazer, as I am embarresed to say, but I had one on hand, mounted it a it worked fine.  I will probably replace it, with a BSA Sweet 17, I am not sure why, but as all hobbyist and gun lovers, we like to fiddle.  I do not even think you need to spend 200 bucks, unless you have an Anshutz and then I would buy a nice scope.  What rifle are you putting this on?  Let us know and I can give you a more specific recommendation.  I hope this helps.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 20:38

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

For a 22 rimfire, recoil is not a problem, so spending alot of money for a scope that is built to withstand alot of recoil does not make alot of sense.  That is why alot of scope makers offer rimfire scopes.  .

Recoil did not kill off the Tasco I had on my stainless 77/22.  Keeping the gun in the trunk and driving over bump gravel roads did.  I look for a used middle of the road scope for .22s

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 20:58

Not a 3-9 but this would be my current choice in your price range with a .22.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6510/nikon_2-7x32_monarc h_ucc_riflescope.htm

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 08:32
why does a .22 rim fire need a scope any ways! if you had a 17 then yeah i could see getting a scope, the .22 rim imo isnt a good choice for distance shooting, might as well buy a 223 or a 22-250, i have a 10/22 that is 40 years old and has never had a scope on it for the reasons silver talked about, 22 always get beat on and abused but still manage to shot good enough to kill beer cans and occasional gopher or pdog, id save the money for something else.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BOLIO1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 11:50
There are alot of us small game hunters who use scopes on 22 rimfires.....My favorite is the Weaver 2.5x7x28....i love the size, weight , clarity and reliability....and if you could find the 3x9x32 version ....more power to you
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 11:59

I agree with Bolio that a 2-2.5-7 would be ideal magnification,I would not get a Weaver though.

Weavers are now made by Simmons mostly in china under poor QC.

jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 12:58

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

why does a .22 rim fire need a scope any ways! if you had a 17 then yeah i could see getting a scope, the .22 rim imo isnt a good choice for distance shooting, might as well buy a 223 or a 22-250, i have a 10/22 that is 40 years old and has never had a scope on it for the reasons silver talked about, 22 always get beat on and abused but still manage to shot good enough to kill beer cans and occasional gopher or pdog, id save the money for something else.

Because my 77/22 does not have open sights on it.  It came drilled and tapped for a scope.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 13:07
Originally posted by jsethmor jsethmor wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Because my 77/22 does not have open sights on it.  It came drilled and tapped for a scope.

oops!! i forgot about that type of setup!! sorry to everyone

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

I agree with Bolio that a 2-2.5-7 would be ideal magnification,I would not get a Weaver though.

Weavers are now made by Simmons mostly in china under poor QC.

All the Weavers I've seen were made in Japan, while the Simmons scopes are made in China.  Also, Weaver isn't made by Simmons, as neither brands have a factory.  Both brands are owned by Meade.  I have found Weaver scopes, at least the Weaver Grand Slam series, to be a pretty good value for their price and provide decent optics, significantly higher quality optics than the Simmons scopes I've seen.  I would never personally buy a Simmons scope for anything.

If you have a really accurate, high-end .22, I HIGHLY recommend the now-discontinued Kahles AV 2-7X36 rimfire model.  WONDERFUL rimfire scope that doesn't look out of proportion on a trim, light little rimfire rifle!  You can generally find one used for around $450 or so.  There may be one on the Sample List, though I haven't looked for one there recently.  I wouldn't personally recommend the 2-7 Nikon Monarch mentioned, as it is intended for a centerfire, and is therefore parallax adjusted for 100 yds.  In that respect, I wouldn't recommend any centerfire scope for a .22 rimfire, unless it has parallax adjustment that goes down to 50 yds or lower.

EDIT:  I somehow missed the $200 price limit on the original post.  Sorry about that.  In that case, I'd recommend the Weaver 2.5-7X28 rimfire scope.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:27
Alot of weavers are made in China now exept for the Grand slams. Yes Weaver is now owned by Meade,I said simmons becuse it is a name the poster could identify more clearly as to the type of company he will now be dealing with if he purchases a new Weaver. For his Maximum $200 budget a Kahles is out of the question unless he is willing to expand this.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:35

In todays scope market a investment in a weaver is a poor investment IMO.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

In todays scope market a investment in a weaver is a poor investment IMO.

While I agree with that overall, there are 3 problems I see here:

1.  A $200 budget limit won't buy any scope that would be considered a great investment.  On a .22 intended for general plinking and squirrel hunting, a Weaver rimfire is about the best you're gonna get within that budget.  I've used several, and they're better optically than any other comparable rimfire scope in the same price range I've seen.

2.  Nobody, except maybe Leupold, makes a decent non-A/O rimfire-specific scope anymore, regardless of price.

3.  Unless you get an A/O model, no regular scope not specifically made for rimfires is a good idea on a .22 due to the 100 yard parallax issue.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 18:09

Most of the good rimfire scopes with a non AO have been discountinued.

Sightron has a S1 3-9x32 non AO that goes for about $100 and is made

in japan, the glass is comparable with the weaver but it has the exact-trac

movement and is set pallax free at 50. Burris makes a very nice non AO

3-9 sako quad rimfire but it goes for about $250.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 18:21

I wasn't aware of the Sightron 3-9 50-yd parallax model.  Worth looking into. 

I don't understand why so many scope manufacturers have apparently abandoned rimfire model scopes.  Maybe they just weren't selling many of them.  For whatever reason, many people seem to have the mentality that "it's just a .22; a cheap scope is fine" and simply aren't willing to pay more than $100 or so on a scope for their favorite squirrel plinker, so it remains in the domain of the cheap scopes.  This is puzzling to me, as I'd venture to say the average person will spend much more time with, and shoot many times more rounds through their rimfires than their big game hunting rifles!

I'm glad I got my Kahles AH 2-7 rimfire before they discontinued it!  A pleasure to use!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 18:28
How about cruising ebay for a good used scope? I bought a mint K6 60 series Weaver (circa 1960) for one of my 22s for $75.00 on Ebay. It's bright, clear and steel. It's a lot more scope than $100 will buy you today.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 18:28
I have seen for a while now alot of rimfire shooters with huge AO scopes. Maybee the better rimfire scopes lost popularity to this trend.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic