OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where to find Burris?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to find Burris?
    Posted: January/17/2007 at 09:40

The forum has helped me determine the reticle and scope for my new-used Sako TRG-S in .338 Lapua.  With input, it was narrowed to either the IOR Valdada with illuminated MP-8 reticle, or the Burris Ballistic Plex LRS illuminated reticle.  I chose the Burris as only the bottom post is illuminated, and not the entire reticle.  Now I need to find one.

The scope is the Burris Euro Diamond 2.5-10X 50mm with the illuminated Ballistic Plex LRS.  It is the Burris catalog item 201922.  I've visted various sites and no one has one.  I corresponded by email and got the usual half-ass answers; one said it was last years model and no longer in production, while the other said it won't begin production until 2007.  Burris declined to indicate who would possibly have one. 

Can someone help me find one of these gems?

Duffy

Duffy
"There is wisdom in your confusion" - Professor MacDonald
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 09:49
If Burris (or any scope company) doesn't know what they have in production nor is able to supply a dealer list I guess I'd be running for the door. What will happen when it breaks?
I'd start with calling SWFA, if they can't get it, I'm not sure I'd want it. One thing I can tell you that if it were a Leupold you could spend 1/2 hour on the phone and they would be happy to help you. I won't bore you with my Burris 6-24 Signature defective scope story that ended up in small claims court befor the company refunded my money and their President called me some bad names on the phone!
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 10:14

I received clear information from SWFA, (our esteemed sponsor), stating the scope is just going into production and will become available in March. 

Duffy
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 11:53
Hmmm... even a better reason NOT to buy it. You can be the BETA test for Burris. Been there done that with the 6-24 Signature. Was not fun. Just an old man's opinion, but I think you are over "teching" yourself (as in technology) with the gun & optics unless you plan to go to Iraq as a sniper. The more features the more will go wrong when you are 500 miles from nowhere. Good luck!
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 08:10

You say you had some difficulty with Burris.  I had their Signature 6-24X with Electro-Dot on a Sako chambered for .300 Remington Ultamag and it worked well.  I had no issues, except for it having too much magnification for my purposes. 

I still have a sour impression of the Burris customer service and their half-ass answers.  Every time I've emailed them they seemed pissed-off and annoyed to do anything at all.  There is no other way to describe their responses; they are half-assed.  Their demeanor was similar to a rhino with a hangover.  They suck.  But they make good glass.

What was the nature of your problems with Burris?

Duffy
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 09:28
Originally posted by Duffy Duffy wrote:

The forum has helped me determine the reticle and scope for my new-used Sako TRG-S in .338 Lapua.  

Duffy

Sorry we have not helped  you a little better. The 338 lapua is a sniper cartridge for shooting extreme long range, and it is a hot round that will burn up the barrel in about 1500 rounds and after a couple of shots you need to let it cool. The scope you buy needs to have lots of internal adjustment. You could use something as inexpensive as a Nikon Monarch fixed 6x42 which has 80 MOA of internal adjustment for $188.95 or you could use a true tactical scope like a Leupold Mark 4 LRT  4.5-14 x50 which has 100 MOA of internal adjustment. NOTE: most scopes dont have that much adjustment.  As far as true tactical scopes go  -- the least expensive good quality one is the 10x Super Sniper and it would serve your well for $299.  While you could get some use out of any good hunting scope with any reticle you will find that a tactical scope with a mil dot reticle is of significant value on this type of rifle.  The mil dot can be used as marks for known hold over just like a balistic reticle plus it can be used to determine range. I believe that you would ultimately be much happier with a true tactical scope like an IOR 6x42 or a Super Sniper 10x both of which are quite sturdy and will handle the recoil of t his weapon. NOTE: fixed power scopes have less moving parts and are less likely to break due to recoil.

Burris Euro Diamond 2.5-10X 50mm is not one I would recommend for this rifle but it would be a great choice for a 30-06.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 11:40

In many regards it shall have to function like a .30-06, as perhaps in the closeness of a cedar swamp or swale.  But I still go to Idaho, and the ranges get really, really, long.  I can't afford two rifles and for the next few years it will be my one-man marching band. 

This gives me pause - perhaps I should consider two scopes for the same rifle.  Hmmm. 

Well then, time remains on my side so I'll entertain the concept of two scopes for one rifle.  Who makes the best detachable rings for a Sako receiver?  Will they hold zero?

Duffy
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 13:30
If the ranges in Idaho are really long you have:
a) a bad guide
b) a need to improve your stalking skills

On any big game in the ID WT MT states, 300 yards should be a long shot if a & b above are avoided.

On a cannon like you are buying a high quality 2-10 (with enough eye relief ) is all the scope you'll ever need. IMO a 1.5-6 would be even better unless you plan to hunt prarie dogs too.

IMO the biggest problems in hunting today are:
-overgunned
-overscoped
-shooting too far
-no stalking or tracking skills
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 12:10

I most definately agree that too many hunters are trying to compensate for their lack of fieldcraft by trying shots at ranges they can only guess.  They are likely not shooters either, preferring to burn a box of factory ammo during sight-in rather than shooting regularly. 

I've been a revolver man myself, preferring to enforce the development of fieldcraft within myself, and I handload with great diligence and zeal. 

When I was younger, rifles seemed like the lazy man's way to hunt, but now that I've been to Idaho, I see the elitist error and folly of such thinking.  There are places and situations wherein a rifle, and only a rifle, can accomplish the task.  The desert near the Snake River valley comes to mind, as do the fields of Bavaria.  Shooting at 400-yards is common in both situations, and although Elmer Kieth did in fact kill an animal with a 4-inch barreled .44 magnum at a range of 600 yards, there is a reason he is considered a giant among men.  (He's also one of my hero's - can ya tell?)

Duffy
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2007 at 12:30
Keith shot at that Mulie several times and missed as well as hitting it several times. I published his book Sixguns. He was a giant and a fine writer. I hunt in places where 600 yards shots could be taken (WY) but they are not necessary. Proper camo and or hide techniques can get you a lot closer than that IF you don't mind being hot, dirty and perhaps sitting on a cactus or two. I'm sure the elite in Germany don't get dirty hunting but along the Snake lots of folks do and kill game at 100 yards.
Hog-Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hog-Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2007 at 12:17

I want to clear up a misconception I keep on hearing repeated over and over. Hunting in Europe (Germany) is not just for the elite or rich. For the record I’m an American that lives in Germany. The money I make puts me just above the poverty line in the States. I paid less than $290 for a three year license that lets me shoot more animals than I have time to mention. I pay $380 a yr for a 1900 acre five person lease (forestry department).  I do have to pay for the animals that I shoot and want to keep. For under $300 I keep my freezer stocked all yr long with deer and wild boar. This comes to roughly $800 dollars a yr; which entitles me to yr around hunting. In the states I had a 600 acre lease that I paid $1500 a yr for, plus hunting license and tag fees. I do spend about 15 hrs a week working the land “getting my hands dirty”.  Sorry for the long post but it just bothers me to hear the same old rhetoric repeated again and again. I should put something in here about optics.  “I hunt with a Burris Euro diamond not because it’s the best but because it’s the best I can afford"

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2007 at 20:42
Hog-Hunter,
  Where in Germany are you?  Most of the Germans I work with have never  fired a weapon,  some of them have served in the military so they have shot, but the majority of them freak out when you take them shooting.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Hog-Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hog-Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2007 at 08:58

Steelbenz,

I live near Frankfurt. You're spot on about most Germans' reactions to weapons, but the German hunters are totally different. For most of them it's a way of life. They take what amounts to be a yr long course wich consist of everything from animal diseases, land conservation and everything in between. At the end they have to pass a written and a pratical shooting competency test (shooting at stationary and moving targets). Long story short the German hunter is one of the best prepared hunters there is. They have to be able to select a shootable animal at night by sex and general age and then pull off the one-shot-one-kill. If you want to talk more about it send me a PM, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic