OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody watch "FutureWeapons"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody watch "FutureWeapons"?
    Posted: January/16/2007 at 21:59

This past Monday night on the Discovery Channel, the show "FutureWeapons" did a story on the latest AICS .50 Caliber "sniper rifle" being produced for the British military.  It's a semi-automatic along the lines of the Barrett.  Super cool episode as the host of the show (a former Navy SEAL) was able to take out targets out to 2,000 yards.

Anyhow, here's the scope/optics related info that really got my attention.  The developers of the rifle are equipping them with Schmidt & Bender PM II scopes!  The show had a high speed camera situated to the right of the shooter, focusing on the action.  Guess they wanted to show in slow-motion footage the rifle cycling the rounds after each shot.  However, I was drawn to the punishment this scope was withstanding!!!  With each shot, you could literally see (through the super slow motion footage) the shock wave of each shot causing the front objective of the Schmidt to WOBBLE!  It was literally wiggling from where the front bell meets the 34mm tube.  I am truly amazed that that scope can withstand that kind of punishment and still remain on zero.  I was also shocked that the internals weren't absolutely shattered.

Maybe this is just one of those "you had to see it" scenarios but I thought it was really cool.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 22:09

Great post Ceylonc,missed it but no surprise.

I do not watch TV that often. Last thing I watched

was the History Channel and a special on the

knights Templar.

Edited by SVD666
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 22:35
Make sure you watch next week and you'll get to see the stuff I make everyday.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
juslearnin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juslearnin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 22:35
I noticed the same thing.  I was pretty surprised to see him make the 2000 yard shot after seeing the front half of the scope come down and hit the handguard with each round.  I figured there would be no way to get that kind of accuracy out of the system.  If you looked at the back, you could also see the space between the picatinny rail and the receiver open up with each shot as well.  I don't know if the receiver flexes down, or the rail up, but there was an awful lot of force on that scope and rail.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 18:04

That show is cool.

I didn't see that episode though. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 18:14
Originally posted by ceylonc ceylonc wrote:

This past Monday night on the Discovery Channel, the show "FutureWeapons" did a story on the latest AICS .50 Caliber "sniper rifle" being produced for the British military.  It's a semi-automatic along the lines of the Barrett.  Super cool episode as the host of the show (a former Navy SEAL) was able to take out targets out to 2,000 yards.

Bill and Alice Davidson were manning the Accuracy International booth at S.H.O.T.  They own Tac Pro Shooting center located in Mingus, Texas and they are the U.S. importer for A.I.  Alice told me that they would be getting one of the new 50's soon and we were welcome to use it for testing the new XOTIC scope.  I can't wait!!!

link to the new rifle on Military.com

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 18:41

I usually watch that show I missed that one I will look for it on the reruns sounds cool  I have a friend that has a 50 cal but he has not put a scope on it yet. He is reloading but it is still expensive to shoot. I will call him and tell him to look for last weeks episode.

Duce 

Duce
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 20:39
Another fact about S&B as I wandered thru the SHOT Show.  Premier Reticles is the US manufacturing facility for the PM II/LP...I don't think this will make them any more affordable but there are rules about domestic manufacture (i.e. only first 10K M9's made in Italy....FN makes the M16A2, M249 and M240 etc (SCAR-L and SCAR-H.....oh baby!) at their SC facility. 
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 01:38
Anyone see the episode tonight?  How about that grenade under the Dragon Skin vest?
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Henry455 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2007 at 21:03
That episode is being replayed now, 1/27, 9:00 P.M. Central Time, Discovery Channel.
DougS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2007 at 06:27

I saw that scope flex like crazy, but I thought it was the beer goggles I had on.

It looked like it bowed 1/4" or more.

I wonder if a Nightforce would do that???

Edited by DougS
longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 18:57
CEYLONC

I SEEN THAT SHOW,S&B HAS GOT TO BE BUILT GOOD.
IT LOOKED LIKE A DIVEING BORD WHIPLASH WE HE PULLED
THE TRIGGER ON THAT 50 CAL.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic