OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scopes
    Posted: January/16/2007 at 07:33
I'm new to this sight. I need a good scope for my Remington 30-06. What scope do you recommend? No price limit. I hunt in the mid west and also Canada.
bama
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 08:38

if you got the money, get an IOR hunter, Highend Swarovski or Zeiss, Kahles, or Schmidt and Bender -

you can't go wrong w/ any of those.

if you want a great scope and want to save a lil money - get a meostar by meopta.

good luck - let us know what you decide.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 11:15

Hello Bama

I recommend a Zeiss VM/V or a Schmidt & Bender C or PH in a 2.5-10 or 3-12 power configuration preffered.

You will not find better optics or quality constuction for the price than the above mentioned.

bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 11:19

Thanks, I'm leaning toward the Zeiss or Swarosvki.

Bama

bama
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 11:21

Swarovski does not have the glass quality of the above two mentioned but it is the lightest but not as robust.

Kahles C has better quality glass and vconstruction than Swarovski.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 11:37

Normally I am prefering Zeiss.

But now when Swarovski have released their Z6 line i would probably go for them.

1,7-10x42 sounds like a very interesting sight, at least as long as you need the possibility to shoot at short ranges as well as long ranges.

Regards TEchnika

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 11:54
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Swarovski does not have the glass quality of the above two mentioned but it is the lightest but not as robust.

Kahles C has better quality glass and vconstruction than Swarovski.

I dunno... I'd have to disagree on that one.  I've looked through all except the S&B in various light and environmental conditions, and I honestly can't tell any difference in optical performance between any of these excellent scopes, certainly not enough to choose one over the other based solely on optics.  If there is a difference, to my eyes, it's so slight as to be too trivial to worry about, so I'd pick based on price, weight & length, and reticle choices among those options.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Javali View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 12:20

Hello SVD666,

Are you sure about that?

Regards

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 12:39

Hello Javali,Rifledude

Yes it is my opinion that a AMV coated Kahles has better glass than the current Swarovski,

I have not seen a Z6 yet but it is rumored to be unchanged in glass quality. I will give the edge

to S&B, Zeiss,and Kahles compared to the current Swarovski. One of the biggest complaints

I have heard of the Swarovski is the shock absorbing eyepiece failing in the field and a slight lack

of penetrating shadows and objects in the dark. See the Tbone post in the field tests section for

discription of this lack of penetration from the Swarovski. These have been my observations but

it matters most what is observed by the user in the field.

You must be looged in to view this.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4486&PN=1

Edited by SVD666
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 13:05

i would agree w/ svd666 - the kahles in the lowlight, to my eyes, seems to be just as good or better.

you do pay for a name when you buy swaro or zeiss, but they are indeed excellent optics.

for that matter, the meostar by meopta is not far behind them all. and half the price.

kahles is nothing short of amazing for the money.  it's definitely worth your time to check out.

the zeiss diavari line has been the standard among my ring of buddies for years, but kahles is just as good for cheaper.

my 2 cents.

bottom line, all the scopes that are mentioned here would be just fine.

j

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 13:47
Kahles are an excellent scope for the money. They are durable, the adjustments are crisp and repeatable. The glass is very bright and the resolution is great all the way to the edge.
bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 13:56
What model Kahles would you buy?
bama
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 14:06

This one but I prefer Zeiss or S&B. Cost does not matter right?

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/51622/kahles_2.5-10x50_h elia_c_30mm_riflescope.htm

Edited by SVD666
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 14:07

i like the kahles C - but the CL is nice if you are doing longer range shooting and need the sidefocus.

it is a wonderful scope. great glass/coatings/construction.

good luck.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 14:09
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 14:11
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 16:30

Boy, I wish I could get to the point in life where "cost doesn't matter."  I've never personally met anyone to whom cost doesn't matter, regardless of their income level!

Heck, if cost truly doesn't matter, go for it and get one of the top of the line Zeiss or S&B scopes!

Me, I'd personally rather get a $1000 - $1200 scope that will still be d&mn good and spend the $800 to $1000 I saved on a new rifle to go with it, but call me crazy!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 16:39
Yep, I'm with ya on that one RD. I could get a Kimber Montana, 3-9 4200, Talley LW's and drive halfway to my farm for that money.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 20:50

You're in a fortunate position in that you have no limitations cost-wise.  If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely lean toward the following:

--Zeiss VM/V;

--S&B Zenith or Classic;

The Swarovski Z6 line (which reputably wow'd a lot of people @ the SHOT show) is unchanged from a glass & coatings standpoint from their current PH series.  This is certainly not substandard but, in my opinion and that of many others here, not as good or superior to that of the aforementioned S&B or Zeiss.

Best of luck & let us know what you decide...

bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 21:01
I'm leaning toward a Zeiss. What do you think?
bama
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic