OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Conquest eyepiece hits bolt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtavernetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquest eyepiece hits bolt?
    Posted: January/16/2007 at 01:46

So I got my sweet new conquest but ran into a little problem with the mounting. People on this board had said that they mounted the conquest with medium rings on the pre-64 model 70 but my bolt hits the eyepiece. I can get it to clear if I max out the leupold windage screws to the left but then I would have to move the rectile way right (bad idea?). The way the bolt is shaped I’m not sure if high rings will be enough. Anyone have experience to share here before I start trying taller rings?

Any sugestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Edited by rtavernetti
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 15:38

I believe that I am the one with the pe-64 model 70 and a Zeiss conquest. The bolt is very close to the eyepiece but does clear on my rifle. I think that the rings a medium, but will measure. I will also try and post a picture or two as well. The rings are .300 from the base to start of the ring.

smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 15:43

As yours is 30.06 and mine is a 300H&H I am not sure if there is a differance in the action lenght and perhaps mounting. The rings and bases are Leupold, as they were the only ones I could find for a magnum pre-64 at the time I bought the mounts and rings. The zeiss was added later.

HTH

Ron  

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 16:54
I think your solution, like it or not, is to go with higher rings or different ring design entirely.  Even if your bolt barely clears, to my way of thinking, it would still be way too close to the eyepiece for easy operation, especially during the "moment of truth" if you have to make a quick follow-up shot on a hunt or when wearing thick gloves.  It's never a good idea to move the mount windage screws an excessive amount to compensate.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rtavernetti View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtavernetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 16:57

I was using the leupold standard mounts. The quick release mounts in your picture look as though they may be a bit thicker than the standard mounts giving you a hair more height. (Anyone know?) Thats likely where I went wrong. It clears the metal but rubs that thick rubber bumper on the eye piece. Add a buttler scope cap and it rubs allong the whole eye piece. I think I'm going to have to try a set of high rings. I blame my gun smith. I brought the scope and gun into him to get the right rings and he just eyeballed it and said mediums would work. Because I had heard that here too I didn't make him check. Since I already tried mounting them though I don't know if he'll let me exchange them. I'll let you know what it takes when I get it on.

smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 17:26

The quick release mounts are about .400, giving a total of about .700 in height. I don't have any standard leupold mounts around so I am not sure if there is a height differance. As a guess i would say you will need taller rings to get the clearance. I also would not want to correct from on center with scope adjustments. If my setup had any less clearance I would be getting taller rings as well. I clear, and gloves give me no trouble but a thick cover would be an issue.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 17:36
I'm sorry about your problems, fellas.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 17:42
The one thing you don't want to do is use the windage to move the scope over as you mentioned.  That will screw up everything, making your only true zero where the scope is sighted in.  Anything closer or farther would shoot left or right.  If you don't mind higher rings, just go that way.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtavernetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 02:12

In case anyone does a search on this in the future.

Zeiss conquest on a Winchester 74,XXX 1947 .30govt06 standard action, transition gun with the cloverleaf tang:

Leupold standard mount- SUPER HIGH rings (1 inch high with mounts) needed to clear bolt.

High rings just barely clear but will rub with blizzard scope cap. Super high rings offer comfortable clearance and will flip open your scope cap for you when you rack the bolt. Bell just clears rear sight so no need to insert a blank. Head position seems comfortable.  Will post a pic when I get it set up.

Gunsmith wanted to grind my bolt down because he said mounting the scope that high would hurt the performance. Is my POI going to shift all that much at different ranges now that my scope is .3 inches higher than the medium rings?

I don't know yet but if that .3 inches is important then future shoppers may wish to think about scopes with lower profile eye pieces for the old Winchesters as the bolt shaft bulges outward and is not swept for a big scope. Also- I wonder a little about zeiss usa quality control as my Zeiss emblem on the side is rotated about 15 degrees to the right of level. Not that it matters, just unsettling in something that is supposed to be crafted to precision standards.  

Edited by rtavernetti
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 02:22

Thanks for posting that!

Glad you got your issue resolved.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 06:40

Being a pre 64 Winchester I certainly would not alter the bolt.  I noticed that smithrjd is using the quick release mounts and standard mounts are likely to be a little different height. I was thinking that a Badger Ordnance plus 20moa base and medium high rings wouldn't work you might call Badger Ordnance for a solution. The other posibility is to mount somthing like an aimpoint 2x that has an entirely different profile.

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                        Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $422.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 07:35
I would not alter that gun, either. Maybe try another smith. That gun has been around a long time with countless other scopes mounted, problem free. Good luck..............
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 19:41

Here are some Leupold standard ring measurements, I have several packs laying around.  These are not quick release but the standard kind with twist-in front and windage screws on the rear.  I like mine mounted as low as possible, all of my objective bells are under .040" from touching the barrel.  Rem 700 .270 has VX-II Leupold 3-9x40 on "Super Lows". Had to sand about .020" off the bolt

My Rem 700 .300 ultra-mag has a Kahles CL 4-12x52 on medium leupold rings, bell is .027" from the barrel.  Friends say I have a problem.

From the base to where the scope tube starts:

High:       .400"

Medium:   .270"

Low:          .150"

Super Low:  .050"

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtavernetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 17:57

Ok finally got the scope back from zeiss and mounted it up. The super high rings provide plenty of bolt clearance and I don't find the head position at all awkward even with the straight comb. I have to say that I am very happy with it. The real surprise was the rifle. The first 3 shots at 150 yards are shown. It was with cheepo $7 a box Kmart 30-06 ammo and kneeling with a pillow for support. The rifle is stock, barrel is not floated, no bedding or anything so I'm really surprised. Had I known I think I would have opted for a bit more power. This thing throws 30-06 better than my 22-250 varmint rifle. I have another one and I think I'm going to put a 4.5-14 on it because I would guess it should shoot about the same and the little 2.5 that's on there is holding it back. Anyway if you are scoping one of these transition model 70's get the super high rings and when picking you power keep in mind that those old hand made guns might actually be pretty accurate so you may be able to have some fun with a bit more power.

Edited by rtavernetti
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic