OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best $200 Slug-Gun Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is the best moderate range, moderately priced slug scope?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [80.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon77fhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best $200 Slug-Gun Scope
    Posted: January/15/2007 at 21:10

I am trying to find a good scope that will work well with a Remington 870 cantilever slug gun.

Most of my shots are 50yd's or less (typically 8-15yds <-- No Joke) and in VERY heavy brush, so something that can pick up a lot of light is a definite.  However, occasionally the chance arises for a 100+ yd shot if there are deer back behind the house.

I was initially set on the Leupold because I love the heavy duplex and the 2-7 power seems just about right for what I want and retails for about $190 on SWFA.  I was also drawn to the unlimited lifetime warranty, the gun can take a beating in some of the areas where I hunt.

Then I saw the Bushnell with the FireFly, does anyone have experience with this?  Are the crosshairs overpowering for the eye or just about right???  This also retails about the same as the Leupold.

And after checking out this forum, people have been raving over the Nikon Omega.  This is a touch higher at around $250 I believe.

Other, am I missing a key scope that could change my life???

Anyways, I have been a long time reader but first time poller. 

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks

It is impossible to make anything fool-proof because fools are so ingenious.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 15:24
Most of my shots on deer fall in to the ranges you mentioned, I use a 44 mag carbine.  Scope I have used and really like for the past couple of years is the Bushell Trophy 1.75-4x32 (model 73-1421).  Really big FOV at low power, seems plenty bright to me & I really like the circleX reticle for close in shooting - almost like a peep sight.  As a bonus it's pretty inexpensive.
God save the Empire!
jon77fhs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon77fhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 16:00

Actually, in my travels between gun shops I have stumbled upon a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x Shotgun Hunter that is really tickling my fancy.  It retails for right around $130.

Does any body have any reccomendations/ beefs with this scope?

It is impossible to make anything fool-proof because fools are so ingenious.
fmjacket View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmjacket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 10:14

I haven't seen much about it in this forum but have read nothing but good things about the Mueller Multi-shot 2-7x32 with a illuminated dot with a circle. The circle covers 15" @ 40 yards on 2x and the dot 1" @ 100. FOV @ 100= 47'-18'. $139.00@ One Click Shootng. Limited lifetime warranty. I'm going to buy one soon.

A place for everything and everything all over the place!
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 12:41
My "other" vote was for a Weaver V3 which is plenty of scope for the distances to which you make reference.  It is a 1-3 power scope and sells for around $140.  It is a bargain.  I have had one on a slug gun for years. It is bright and clear has a wide field if view for those close shots, and stands up to the recoil. (I have also used a Leupold VX-ll shotgun scope and it is also worth considering, but it will cost more.) 
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 09:52
The Elite has the rainguard finish on the glass which can really be helpful if you hunt in an area where it can be rainy or foggy.  The Mueller is a good value as is the Weaver.  I just would not spend $250 on a shotgun scope (Nikon) when so many other choices are out there.  The sleeper in all this is the Bushell Trophy (Dogger's recommendation).  I killed a hog with an 870 with a trophy scope mounted last spring and was very impressed.  It's also a great value so if its a mistake, its a small one.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2007 at 18:44
The 3200 elite should serve you well for the price and is a pretty bright scope....the firefly reticle is not overpowering, in fact its just about perfect in my book.

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 11:59
Ive had good luck with the 3200's on 2 slug guns ( 12 and 20 ) and a T/C  Black Diamond 50 cal . So far after several  years and lots of range time and field use- no issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic