OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for opinions on binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for opinions on binoculars
    Posted: January/15/2007 at 11:30

Many of you already provided me some good information on binoculars and I previously stated that I was going to take the Vortex Razor 10x42 over the Minox HG 10x43. The only doubt in my mind was whether to get 8x or 10x. Many people subscribe to different schools of thought and I just need to look at them myself to decide. I am sending the 10x43 HGs back and getting the 8.5x52. The reason I would go with the Minox instead of the vortex in this instance is that the minox are optically better (albiet minor, they are still crisper) and I think the margin of clarity would be even greater with a larger objective. The vortex do not make any objectives larger than 42 and if they did they would probably be too heavy to carry around. The minox 8x52 weigh about what the vortex razor 10x42 do and I like that weight. This should give me the feeling of durability and added stability I want. Most of my hunting and viewing will be done within 400 yards and all of my shooting will be done will be done with 300 and more likely 200 yards. I figure I can use my scope to get more detail should I need it.

A secondary question is whether people feel the zeiss conquest line would be better than Minox HG or vortex. I have read that the conquest are no better than the vortex razor.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 12:37

A secondary question is whether people feel the zeiss conquest line would be better than Minox HG or vortex. I have read that the conquest are no better than the vortex razor.

An important distinction to make here is between that of the regular Conquest and Conquest ABK. The latter is what I am assuming you are referring to because you want a full sized (40 mm) binocular. The Conquest ABKs utilize Abbe-Koenig prisms (hence the ABK designation). This particular prism design allows the smallest amount of light loss for a roof prism design. Light is reflected off of two less prism surfaces thus resulting in better contrast and perceived sharpness. Published ight transmission figures for the 8x40 ABK were around 90% if I remember correctly and only bettered by the Zeiss FL for that particular configuration.

The downside is that their field of view and percentage of edge distortion is more comparable to the $300-$500 roof prism models rather than the $800 models for the respective configurations.

Hope this helps.

Frank
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 09:58

ahuebel,

The larger objective will give you a brighter image, but not a "crisper" image.  If you want a fair comparison, you need to make sure both binos you're comparing are of the same power, 8X or 10X.  The lower power will provide an increase in brightness as well, as decreasing magnification and increasing objective diameter both increase the exit pupil size.  Also, I hate to add to your confusion, but Vortex is introducing an 8.5 X 50 Razor this year, according to their website.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 10:10

You know, I heard about that and totally forgot. Unfortunately I don't think I can hold out that long because I only have a certain amount of time to return the binoculars. The thing is, I know I wont be comparing apples to apples this time but because it seems to mostly be a matter of preference I need to decide for myself which magnification I will prefer. In reality I could just go with the razor 8x42 and probably be happy...but since I am fairly close in price to the 8.5x52 minox I figured I'd try those.

Perhaps I should have worded it a little different....you are right, the margin of clarity won't be greater, but the overall optical package would be even better. Granted it will be unfair to the vortex because I am comparing a 42mm to a 52mm. Someone told me I could second guess myself into oblivion...to which I replied, "oblivion here I come".

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 12:52
ahuebel,

A smaller objective diameter affects how much detail you can see.
The bigger lenses have a larger central area, sweet spot, of resolution than smaller lenses.

Also the Minox 8.5x52 offers Aspheric lens technology which gives higher constrast and optimizes focusing along the perimeter of the FOV.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 14:49
I like 8 to 10x with a 50 to 56 obj. Minox will be a great choice.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 16:42

I have an 8X50 Leica Trinovid, and while it's great for stationary glassing from a stand/blind, if I'm spot and stalk hunting or covering a lot of ground in steep country, I find the physical size of a 50mm+ objective bino is rather bulky and gets in the way too much, regardless of weight.  In addition to the larger objective, these bins will also be longer.  I personally think 42mm is a good compromise between exit pupil vs. physical size.  Heck, in all but extreme low light, I think a high quality 32mm objective bino works adequately well.

Just something to consider.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 19:00
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

ahuebel,
Also the Minox 8.5x52 offers Aspheric lens technology...

As does the Razor, as well as the Kahles he was originally considering.
Ted

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 23:32

Have you compare the FOV?

FOV is one of the most important factors to me, and it's really annoying to get narrow glasses.

Some manufacturers have wide angle binoculars and that is so much nicer to use.

I prefer also big front lenses, a binocular that is somewhat heavy is much more steady and you can easyer see the detalis.

I stick to 7 and 8X binoculars becuase the much wider field of view, but there is a few 10X with really nice FOV if you are interested.

Regards Technika

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 17:50
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

FOV is one of the most important factors to me, and it's really annoying to get narrow glasses.

Some manufacturers have wide angle binoculars and that is so much nicer to use.

This is true but, only so far as good edge clarity in the binocular in question is maintained. A wide FOV is useless if most of it is just a blur.  In such a case a binocular with a somewhat more narrow FOV but, that maintains good edge-to-edge clarity would likely prove more satisfying. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic