OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated reticle???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illuminated reticle???
    Posted: January/14/2007 at 16:32
Will be joining an old hunting partner for back bear hunt in SE Alaska June 7th. He had to pass up on a monster in 2005 because he couldn't see cross hairs at last light on black bear. I will be putting this on my 338 WinMag. Spent $$ on the trip, so budget is $400. Got any ideas? Anyone had any problems with illuminated reticles by any particular manufacture I should know about?  Thanks/ Chaz
chazgreen
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 17:05
The biggest thing with IRs is over illumination.  But, most have an adjustable rheostat.  I have not looked at the Bushnell Firefly, but the Monarchs are on sale.  With a large target such a black bear a singular illuminated mil-dot would be fine.  There are alot to choose from.  The Monarch 3.5x10 50mm with an illuminated mil-dot is 418.95 at SWFA.  If this is too much, the Mueller TACII illuminated mil-dot, made in Japan, has gotten great reviews.  Whatever, he gets, he needs to look through the scope at low light and see if it fits the bill.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 17:08

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

The biggest thing with IRs is over illumination.  

Quite right.

Over illumination is the main issue on lit reticles.

Very few scope makers do it right.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 15:37
Dolphin/ isnt the firefly an all-or-none deal? Either you light it up or you dont? I heard the Burris Fullfield has only 2 adjustments other than "off". / Chaz
chazgreen
AuburnEngineer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 13:43
I was thinking of going with the Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x50 with the illuminated nikoplex @ SWFA for $450.  Then I got to looking at the same scope with non-illuminated nikoplex which is $330.  I asked the question in a previous post "is it worth the extra $120" and basically got answered with a "no."  http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5383&PN=2  I've decided against going with the IR, but still haven't decided on which scope I want.  If you buy a midgrade or better scope ($300 or more) shouldn't you be able to see the crosshairs for as long as you can see your target? 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 14:14

I think a little qualification is due here.  I believe many of the negative comments you received regarding IRs is due to the limitations with some manufacturers' designs.  Concerning the problem of over illumination, a lot depends on the adjustment range of the illumination brightness control, as well as how much of the reticle is actually illuminated.  If the entire reticle is illuminated, it can overpower the target image behind it due to the extreme difference in contrast causing problems with your eye adjusting.  Some IRs only illuminate a tiny dot or a dot and circle in the center of the crosshair.  I believe this is the best type of IR for hunting.  If the scopes IR controls will also allow a very dim illumination, just barely enough to be visible at night, then it can be a useful feature.  I like illuminated reticles and find them very beneficial for predator and feral hog hunting, both of which are legal to hunt at night where I live.  But, the scope has to have the right amount and intensity of illumination in order to prevent contrast problems.

Hope this makes sense.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 14:14

My son has a Bushnell 3200 3x9x40 with firefly on his Savage 116.  Charges up fairly quickly (think 10 sec is recommended) and settles into a soft green glow that stands out against a dark background well without being overpowering.  I haven't used it a lot but seems ok to me picking out targets in heavy bush at dusk.

Anyone else with Firefly experience?

God save the Empire!
chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 10:31
Thank you all for your input/ chaz
chazgreen
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I think a little qualification is due here.  I believe many of the negative comments you received regarding IRs is due to the limitations with some manufacturers' designs. 

Right.

Thanks, RD.

I meant I'd rather not have one at all, then to have a sub standard one.

S&B does the lit reticle justice. L7, and it was superb. 

I had, but didn't care for the IOR illuminated reticle.

I have been told they have tweaked that problem some. I don't know.

Interestingly, the new Nikon Monarch with a lit Mil dot I just got from SWFA during the sale, has been pretty good.

It has both the red and green reticle going from 1 to 5. 

I have had it out at in some low light scenario's to complete dark.

So far, I'm very happy. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 15:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I think a little qualification is due here.  I believe many of the negative comments you received regarding IRs is due to the limitations with some manufacturers' designs.  Concerning the problem of over illumination, a lot depends on the adjustment range of the illumination brightness control, as well as how much of the reticle is actually illuminated.  If the entire reticle is illuminated, it can overpower the target image behind it due to the extreme difference in contrast causing problems with your eye adjusting.  Some IRs only illuminate a tiny dot or a dot and circle in the center of the crosshair.  I believe this is the best type of IR for hunting.  If the scopes IR controls will also allow a very dim illumination, just barely enough to be visible at night, then it can be a useful feature.  I like illuminated reticles and find them very beneficial for predator and feral hog hunting, both of which are legal to hunt at night where I live.  But, the scope has to have the right amount and intensity of illumination in order to prevent contrast problems.

Hope this makes sense.

Rifledude is right on the money.  The ones that I own are mostly of the illuminated red-dot.  I own a few IRs, that illuminate the bottom three reticle lines and the adjustment brightness seems very good.  Nikko Stirlings.  One made in Japan, the others Chinese.  The Japanese made model has a variation of the #4 German post and reticle.  All the IRs on these work fine.  But, I have never hunted them.  The optic quality on the Japanese made model is better than the Chinese made and appears to be a better made scope, equal, I would say at least to a VX II or at least close.  The others, in the ballpark of a VXI.  But, they were alot less expensive.

Edited by Dolphin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic