OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR
    Posted: January/14/2007 at 11:20

I want to put another scope on my Remington 700 BDL Deluxe in a 375 RUM to complete it as an African plains rifle.  The fact that it has a fancy stock, does not deter me from wanting to use it, as it is a tool and will try to take care of it.  Regardless, with the Monarch sale, I thought, well lets see.  The only real option is the 2-7 32mm, as the 20mm scopes have a significantly limited FOV at 4.5x and the fixed 4x is a 40mm objective and I want something smaller.  So, I looked at the IOR 4x 32mm objective for 299.95, which would be perfect.  Does anyone have any experice with this model.  I have no personal experience with IOR scopes, but have heard alot of good things on this forum about them.  I do not want to spend an arm and leg on the scope, as after reading multiple safari sights, many recommend a "good quality" scope, with alot recommending a Leupold VXIII 1.5x4 or so thereabouts or as a second choice a standard 3x9, but the later for smaller caliber rifles.  Any info. would be appreciated.

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 11:48
If you plan to hunt big stuff up close you may want to think in the 1-1.5X at the low end of your variable.
No shortage of proven scopes in the less than $400 range in 1 to 4,5 etc.. You'll yell at me but the Leupold 1-4 shotgun model works fine on my 700 custom 400 H&H.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 13:41
That is a consideration, I have never owned a Leupold and said I never would, overpriced.  The Monarch in that range has, as I said a poor FOV at the highest mag. and the 4x scope has a bigger objective than I want.  Let me look through the Leupold line-up.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 14:03

Why chose a Leupold 1,25--4X?

It's has less FOV than any german 1,5-6x42 or the new Swarovski 1,7-10x42........

Regards Technika

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 17:07

Technika, what do you think about the IOR?  I really do not want a Leupold.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 19:46
how about the fact that a 1-4 leupold is far cheaper?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 19:58
I have a VariX-III in the 1.5-5 and I am really happy with it. I have it on a .260 M7 for now and it was more than bright enough at last legal shooting in the cedar swamp. It also has a reputation for excellent durability. I just ordered a 2-7 Monarch and if it doesn't fit between the rings on my .375 H&H M700, the Leupold is going there. For the price I would look at the 1.5 -5 Monarch that is on sale, too. It looks like a great scope for a great price, parallax is 75 yards, though.............375 RUM is

Edited by tahqua
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 20:57

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

how about the fact that a 1-4 leupold is far cheaper?

That is the point.  The IOR is alot cheaper than the Leupold.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 00:11
HUH?
IOR 1.1-4 $580
Leupold 1-4 $300
Leupold 1.5-5 $400
those are SWFA prices ANIB/ANNB Leupolds are often on Ebay for 20-30% less (with that bothersome forever guarantee)
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 00:13
look at
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-VARI-X-III-1-5-x-5-rifle-shotgun -pistol-scope_W0QQitemZ230075837024QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31714Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230075837024
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 11:44
I am talking about the IOR fixed 4x.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 12:40
I've used the fixed 4x32 IOR and it is a great little scope.  A few infrequent posters bough this scope after recommendation on this forum (by me and Chris, I think) and were very happy.   On of the guys, I think, is in South Africa and he was putting it onto something heavy.

The scope is small and bright.  I think it still has a steel tube, so it is very durable.  I would strongly suggest that you go with a #4a reticle.  It is thicker than #7 and very visible in low light.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 12:48
I have been waiting for you to post on this subject.  With the Monarch sale, I was trying to choose something from that list and the only scope that would fit the bill, is the 2x7, as the FOV on the 1.5x4.5 is significantly limited at 4.5 power.  It would be nice to have a variable, (but the fixed would be tougher) and the Monarch 2x7 has the same size objective as the IOR.  I do not want to get much larger.  What is your opinion and do you have any other recommendations, keeping it in a similar price range, or a tad higher?

Edited by Dolphin
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 13:09
The Monarch 1.5-4.5x20 is a nice little scope, but I was dissappointed with it.  That's the one Monarch scope I really did not like.  For whatever reason the glass in the couple that I saw was not up to the standards of the rest of the Monarch line.  Not sure why.  I compared it with several other small variable scopes and Fullfield II 1.75-5x20 was actually a little better than the Monarch, while with all other scope sizes Monarch is better than Fullfield II.  Go figure.  Besides, it is corrected for parallax at 50 yards, if memory serves me right.

Leupold makes nice enough scopes, but I was absolutely unimpressed with anything below the VX-3.  Yes, I know, glass is not everything, but I like nice glass, and Leupold is not the only durable scope out there so that argument does not cut it either.  All scopes can break and Leupold is not any more durable than other reputable scope makers (Leupy is actually less durable in my experience, but I suspect it is simply my luck).

IOR variable is excellent, but expensive, and for your needs unnecessary.  Same for a Meopta Meostar low range variable.

One thing that I think is very underestimated is the reticle.  I have come to really prefer reticles similar to German #4 with three thick posts that are very visible in low light and thin center crosshair for precise aiming.  Too many otherwise very serviceable scopes are only available with fairly thin duplex type reticle (actually I commend Leupold on offering such a reticle variety).

Anyhow, for the money, I do not think you can find a better 4x scope for the money.  Even a much more expensive Kahles 4x36 is not appreciably better, if better at all.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 13:39
What do you think about the Monarch 2x7 32mm for this application?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 14:06
Monarch 2-7x32 is a pretty nice scope for this application, especially if you need a little higher magnification for longer shots, and at current prices, it is a very good deal.  My only complaint with it is that the reticle is thinner than I like for low light shooting.

ILya
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 14:21
 I just last night bought a scope for a similiar purpose. a Burris Signature safari 1.75-5 with a German style reticle for just under $300.00 NIB. It is going on a CZ-550 9.3X62. I wanted something smaller with good glass with enough range to suit the caliber but with a lower range. I also have a Leupold VXIII 2.5X8 on a Model 70 lightweight. The Leupold is a nice small light weight scope. Good glass etc but perhaps a bit expensive compared to others if bought new. I have a Burris FFII on a 243 and for the money I feel it is an excellent scope. The Burris Signature was purchased off the dreaded ebay, for the price I could not pass it up.  I see similiar auction prices on Burris often.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 14:27

Originally posted by smithrjd smithrjd wrote:

I just last night bought a scope for a similiar purpose. a Burris Signature safari 1.75-5 with a German style reticle for just under $300.00 NIB. It is going on a CZ-550 9.3X62. I wanted something smaller with good glass with enough range to suit the caliber but with a lower range. I also have a Leupold VXIII 2.5X8 on a Model 70 lightweight. The Leupold is a nice small light weight scope. Good glass etc but perhaps a bit expensive compared to others if bought new. I have a Burris FFII on a 243 and for the money I feel it is an excellent scope. The Burris Signature was purchased off the dreaded ebay, for the price I could not pass it up.  I see similiar auction prices on Burris often.

What size objective is on that Burris Signature?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 14:33
I've got one of those 1.75-5x32 Signature Safari scopes.  It is a very nice scope and mine has a somewhat rare Post and Crosshair reticle which is also very fast to acquire.  I've played with it for a bit, to see how it stacks up and I am impressed.  I do not have any true kickers, so I think I'll sell it, but it would be one of the better choices for a 375 or a 450 of some sort.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic