OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low magnification binoculars.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low magnification binoculars.
    Posted: January/14/2007 at 06:02

Hunting as I do in Michigan, in dark timber on overcast days, I found a cheap pair of 5X 30mm roof prism binoculars quite handy.  The only dificulty is that they are so cheap!

Everywhere I see companies producing nice 10X binoculars, and now it is rare to find anything under 8X.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a low power, (5-7X), roof prism binocular, (preferably rubber coated so they don't "clink" on my grunt call), under $150?  Okay, under $200.

Duffy
"There is wisdom in your confusion" - Professor MacDonald
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 07:47

Yes this is the simplyest question ever, exept for the strange (in my eyes) request for roofs........

Zeiss 6x30 B is a great binocular for low money.

Hensoldt 8x30 and even more the Kern (Leica) 8x30 is also great.

Both the Zeiss and the Leicas are wide angle binoculars of military origin and they are made to withstand the most difficult conditions.

You can find those at Deutche optics, ebay and other sources that is dealing with second hand military optics.

Regards Technika

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 14:50
Eagle O.'s Platinum Class Roof 6x32 (under $200)

Leupold Yosemite porro prism 6x30 ($100)

Leupold Katmai Roof prism 6x32 (under $300)

Fujinon Nautilus AR-SX porro 6x30 (under $200)

Edited by Bird Watcher
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 06:47
If you can find a few extra $$ the Leupold Katmai 6X32 is great.  Top rated in the $200-500 category.  I used mine all season  and am real happy with them.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 11:17

Throw my vote in for both the EO Ranger 6x32 and Katmai 6x32. Both are excellent, bright little glasses.

You mentioned a roof prism model but still the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 porro should be mentioned as well. For under $100 you get very good optical performance in a lightweight package.

Frank
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 07:05
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 porro should be mentioned as well. For under $100 you get very good optical performance in a lightweight package.

Very good performance.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:51
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 porro should be mentioned as well. For under $100 you get very good optical performance in a lightweight package.

Very good performance.

Has anyone here handled (1st hand mind you) the newer 8x Yosemites yet?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 08:28
I am working on it lucznik. Nobody that I have called has them in yet. Birdwatcher sent me the specs for the 8x30. Specs look pretty good. A 7.5 degree (390-something foot) field of view with a little short (14 mm) eye relief. Everything else was the same as the 6x30 if memory serves me.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic