OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon BDC reticle question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon BDC reticle question
    Posted: January/12/2007 at 12:28
Does anyone know the dimensions of the BDC reticle in Nikon Monarch scopes?

I downloaded Nikon's BDC manula, and in typical Nikon tradition it is not exceptionally helpful.  Unless I am missing something it only says that the circles are 2" at 100yards.  Is that the inside of the circles or the outside? How thick are the lines?  What is the spacing between the circles and crosshair?

If anyone has this information, I'd be eternally grateful.  While the scope I ordered is on the way I was hoping to get some reticle information and set up some tables for different calibers.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 14:23

I have read the manual also after I saw you bought the scope, thinking I might buy one too.  All the talk about using the top, middle and bottom of the reticle.  Therefore, I copied the reicle, assuming it is the same as on the scope, made some accurate measurements and simple calculations.  Here are your reticle subtensions at 100 yards:

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 14:45
The image is not showing up in your post.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 17:15
Damn.  While at work, it showed up fine.  Basically, if I remember correctly, from the bullseye to the center of the first circle, there was a 2.6 inch drop at 100 yards, between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3 there was a 3 inch drop and between 3 and 4 there was a 4.4 inch drop.  A total of 13 inch drop at 100 yards.  So depending at what distance you sight your scope and the ballistics of the caliber you are using, this should be a rough guide from which to start.  I would probably sight in at 100 yards for simplicity, look up the drop, use the reticle and see how accurate it is at 200 yards.
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 18:58

I was wondering if either of you two had an opinion on how well the BDC reticle might work with a 22-250.  I heard it is geared more toward the 30-06 and .308 calibers.  I'm sure should work very well.  The first time I saw it, I thought that the dots on the reticle were way too big, but it makes a lot of sense now.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:00

Will the mil dot master help? I have a Nikon 6 X 20- 44 BDC  on order, it is back ordered I am considering the Bushnell 6 X 24  in the 4200 with the side focus but is is $ 150 more of course I would like to have the S & B 5 to 25 police scope but I have a hard time beliving it is worth $ 2500 more than the Bushnell. I will have to have another drink on that decision.

Duce 

Duce
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:01
i wonder how it compares to the burris ballistic plex?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:04
I ordered a 5.5-16.5x44 with BDC and I will try it on my 22-250 which currently has an Elite 4200 6-24x40.  I'll post myimpressions once the scope is here and I get to play with it.

ILya
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:10
Thank you very much koshkin, I appreciate your expert opinion in the way of optics.  I am new to posting on this forum, but I have read many of your posts and they're awesome!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:11
oh no the dark forces have claimed another young one!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:13

Must...submit...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:13
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

oh no the dark forces have claimed another young one!!

Yes, but since this involves a Nikon scope, I dedicate this soul to cheaptrick.

ILya
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:15
Speaking of which, I have looked at a lot of posts and have gathered that you don't prefer Nikons, whether or not this is true I don't know.  Would you recommend them for around the 400 price range (namely the UCC, and disregarding the current blowout prices)?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:19
koshkin doesnt prefer nikon, i do however,  likes stuff that is a little more spendy, sightrons i think is about as cheap as it goes for the dark lord
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:26
There is a price......dark side........must let go.......and become

Edited by SVD666
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:33
Ok, so I've gotta ask.  Is the new Monarch coming out next week?  Just making sure...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:34
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

koshkin doesnt prefer nikon, i do however,  likes stuff that is a little more spendy, sightrons i think is about as cheap as it goes for the dark lord

That's not strictly speaking true.  I do not own anything truly expensive.  Not a single scope over a grand.  Most of the scopes I recommend are in the $200 to $500 range.  

Overall, my preferred brands are Sightron S2 and IOR, but I've been quite impressed with a number of others.

Nikon makes good scopes, I just do not find them to be superior to their competition.  Or at least I do not find them superior to competition at their regular prices.  At their current prices, they offer a spectacular value for the money.  Besides, I've been wanting to try Nikon's BDC reticle for a while.

Another complaint I have about Nikon is their customer service which I've had very bad luck with (a sentiment that I see mirrored by quite a few people).

However, Monarchs are being replaced with something else.  Sightron S2 is being superceded by Sightron S2 Big Sky.  IOR seems to be reworking their product line quite a bit, but I do not know whether they are strictly adding products or also discontinueing them.

I think 2007 will be an interesting year for a lot of scope makers.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:40
Guitarman you should wait a while and check back here before you make your purchase, 2007 is going to be wild, do not worry about any brands right now all of these brands and the info on them is up in the air right now. My pick so far for 2007 is the mid-priced Kahles KX for now but all of this current talk can change this year. There is so much stuff that unless you absoulately need a scope do not spend any money right now.

Edited by SVD666
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:48
Oh I've heard about it, I will definitely be doing a great deal more contemplation before I make a purchase, including coming here frequently.  I wish I could know what going to come out :-S.  It would be amazing to have a Kahles though...  I'm still very excited to find out what Nikon brings out, and I have a strong feeling I'm going to end up wanting one.  We'll see!
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 19:53
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Guitarman you should wait a while and check back here before you make your purchase, 2007 is going to be wild, do not worry about any brands right now all of these brands and the info on them is up in the air right now. My pick so far for 2007 is the mid-priced Kahles KX for now but all of this current talk can change this year. There is so much stuff that unless you absoulately need a scope do not spend any money right now.

I totally agree with you SVD but this was just too good to pass up for putting atop a tack driving .260...

6546 Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $286.95
More Info..order=

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic