OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reticle selection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reticle selection?
    Posted: January/12/2007 at 07:02

I am purchasing a Sako TRG-S in .338 Lapua (the sporting version) and need help selecting a scope reticle.  Some background is needed.

This will be a general-purpose rifle, not a dedicated long-range rifle.  I am returning to college and will be relatively impoverished so this one rifle has to accomplish many tasks.  My school is in Sudbury Ontario.  Situations can vary from brushy to perhaps 400 yards. 

The best hunting seems to be at sunrise and twilight, so I prefer lighted reticles.

1. German # 4 Reticle.  This one looks good for running game, but I’ve never used one.  How would it perform on a smaller 400-yard target?

2. Duplex Post Reticle.  It looks good for most purposes, but I found it not so hot for running game.  Is there something better? 

3. Mil-Dot Reticle.  It is said to be a good choice for long range, but what about short range and running game?

Is there anything I’ve overlooked or should consider?

Edited by Duffy
Duffy
"There is wisdom in your confusion" - Professor MacDonald
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 07:11

i am a huge fan of the #4 reticle - open top for finding game in the lowlight - thick sides that you can see in the dark.

excellent reticle.

i am a huge fan of the trg-s sako - the m995 actions are sweet and the trigger is wonderful. tack drivers.

what kind of scope are you looking for? what objective size is too big for you?

welcome to the OT.

J

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 09:52
Shoot before you buy. The 338 L is a great specialized cartridge but.... I shot one in the sniper rifle and it was stout but managable. In the sporter weight is was about like a 340 WM. Too bad our folks in Iraq dont drop those 308s and get some of these..they could smoke a camel at a mile!
For a one gun guy in Ontario you might not need all that power but big whompers are fun.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 10:07

it's expensive to shoot as well, maybe try a 300wm if you need a powerhouse gun w/ less kick.

it's hard to find the trg-s in some calibers, though.

good luck.

J

Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 10:15

The recoil will certainly be stout, but this isn't a rifle to shoot from the bench.  Shooting from the bench would hurt!  I've got experience with .45-70's and .458 WinMags, plus .300 Weatherby's and .300 Remington Ultramags.  The .300's were attention-getting when shot from the bench but when standing, weren't bad at all.  The .376 Steyr was actually rather modest; a gentleman's gun and a real surprise. 

Larger objectives offer significant low-light performance, but add significantly to the bulk and mass of the rifle.  With this in mind I'd prefer a limit of 50mm objective, but can be flexible if something remarkable happens my way. 

While the .338 Lapua is comparatively flat shooting it isn't a laserbeam.

Examination of the German # 4 would appear to find the bottom post unsuitable for long-range.  Is this correct? 

Are there variants to the # 4 with hashmarks or mil dots?  Are they illuminated? 

I've examined the Zeiss, Swarozski, and Schmidt & Bender reticles and they have some plausible variations that appear up to the task, but if I had that kind of money, I'd be able to purchase them all and discard the ones that didn't suit me. 

Duffy
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 11:36
I tend to think the 338 Lapua is not the ideal brush gun. You have a large heavy rifle which will certainly knock down anything it hits but the advantage to this cartridge is its ability to deliver kills at 1000 + yds. Why dont you pick up a 30-06 and put a 2x aimpoint on it for your under 400 yd brush gun. Then put a high end tactical scope on that 338 Lapua something that will get up to about 20x on the top end with a mil dot reticle.  If nothing else put the 2x aimpoint on your 338 Lapua or look at the Trijicon Accupoint scopes for another solution.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 00:33
What are you hunting? Even a Moose will die quickly if shot with a 30-06 and,as you say, if $ is a consideration you can buy a minty used Rem 700 in 30-06, put the money you saved into a fine scope and lots of ammo. You'll be a better shot and have less pain although only those who know will be impressed.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 06:50

I think the man is set on which rifle he wants.  Now he wants help on the scope and reticle.  Now with this info given and the fact that the Monarchs are on sale, that is where I would look first.

6535 Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $329.95
More Info... Buy Now

This scope and reticle should suit your purposes just fine, without breaking the bank.  Plenty of light gathering, although the Nikons are not suppose to be the best in the world for low light, but then compared to S&B, etc, who is and the reticle is fine.  Mildots are a problem with smaller game at longer distances, depending on the size of the mildot, as they can cover the vital zone, but with moose, if you wanted to go with the illuminated mildot version, this would not be a problem, just more money.  Nice rifle and good caliber.  I had a chance to buy one in a 30-378Wby. from competitorinvestments.com a couple years ago for I believe either 499.95 or 599.95 and I let it go.  Damn, sweet rifle.

longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 08:50

this is a IOR mp8 very nice.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 09:26
Yeah, the MP8 is a good reticle.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 10:59

This is much harder than I anticipated and I thank you all for the input.

I considered a detachable mount and a second scope, and I also considered just getting a second rifle for the bush, such as the Savage Scout in .308.  Due to the cost of either of these, I returned to the original idea of just one rifle and just one scope.  Nonetheless if I come into some money, I’ll but the Scout.

The illuminated MP-8 reticle of the IOR is about what I want, although the gap between the horizontal bars is a bit narrow.  It’s available on the 2.5-10 42mm Tactical, and it’s the perfect power range for both the bush and longer ranges.

Burris makes a similar reticle which is even better for my use, their LRS illuminated.  The gap between the horizontals is wider, making it perhaps better for close range.  Regrettably it isn’t available in their premium lines except for a 4-16 44mm Signature model, and that’s more low-end power than I want.  I’ve sent them an email inquiry to see if it’s available in their 2.5-10 44mm or 2.5-10 50mm Euro Diamond, but they aren’t known for offering obliging what the customer wants.  Pentax offers the LRS in a 2.5-10 50mm, and I was once told it is the same company.  

Burris also makes a # 4 with illuminated dot in their Euro Diamond.  The bottom vertical doesn’t have hash marks so it isn’t as good for longer range as their LRS or the IOR MP-8.

Leopold offers an illuminated # 4 in the VX III 3.5-10 50mm.  It’s actually an illuminated duplex centerpiece.

So far, it appears the Pentax or IOR are the closest matches, with the Pentax having the better reticle for my usage.  IOR is a known quantity, but I haven’t seen many Pentax scopes.  

Compared to the Burris Signature, Burris Euro Diamond, and the IOR, how good is the Pentax?  Is it as good in the low, low light?  Is it as durable?  

Duffy
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 08:47

Gentlemen:

You've been infinately helpful in this endeavor and I now have narrowed my reticle choices to the following styles.

This is the Burris/Pentax Ballistic Plex LRS illuminated reticle.

This is the IOR Valdada MP-8 illuminated reticle.

The second string line-up of reticles includes the Burris 3P#4 illuminated (which won't upload) and the Burris Mi Dot illuminated (which also won't upload).

Burris seems less expensive, but the model I want is their Euro Diamond 2.5-10X 50mm with their Ballistic Plex LRS illuminated reticle, catalog item # 201922, and nobody seems to have it.  Again I've written Burris and I anticipate the usual cold shoulder from them.  Does anyone know where I can find one?

Duffy

Duffy
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 22:37
Don't discount the simple plex reticle-- especially if u're only going out to 400-500 yds. IMO, it's the simplest (possibly best) 1 stadia ballistic/ranging reticle going.
Steve
Duffy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 11:53

Hey!  Someone planted the seed of a new thought. 

Why not get two scopes in detachable rings?  If so, what scopes would you suggest?

Duffy
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 13:22
you have too much money and too much time. don't let the chattering class in Ottawa find you as they will tax you more!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 13:35
Root your mailbox is full.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic