OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22-250; Burris, Bushnell, or Leupold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22-250; Burris, Bushnell, or Leupold?
    Posted: January/11/2007 at 12:37

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this forum, or to any rifle scope forum, for that matter, although I have spent a great deal of time in this forum and in others reading what you all have to say.  I have recently purchased a Remington SPS 700 chambered in 22-250, with a regular barrel (24"), and I am also in search of an adequate scope for it, my price range is approximately 400 dollars, but I would be willing to push it up to 450.

I have heard much of you speak in favor of the Bushnell Elite 4200, but I am not pleased with their reticle offerings (as I would like to have something fine), also, their scopes look to be fairly large and heavy.  I have looked into the Burris Fullfield II's, but I have heard rumors of questionable quality, because they (might) be assembled overseas.  I have also heard rumors of lens coatings flaking etc...  I know that many of you in this forum do not particularly care for Leupolds, or more, seem to think that they do not typically present a very good value, and in some instances, this may be true.  However, I have been strongly considering their VX-II 4-12x40AO with a fineplex reticle, which I have viewed and have found to be wonderfully thin.  I have also read consistently good reviews on this scope.  It does concern me a little to hear all of this talk about questionable optical quality though, could you fill me in please?  I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Leupolds outside of this forum.  I am 21 years old, and I have a number of friends who use them, and they have told me that they will never use anything else after witnessing the optical quality.  One of my friends has a Sighton SII with an AO, and he also speaks in favor of his 3-9x40 Leupold (mounted on a .22 Mag).

But, I am open to discussion, because I don't have very much personal experience with Leupold at all.  I REALLY like the fineplex reticle though!  It would be exciting to be able to zero in on something the size of a .224" bullethole.

I have owned two other 22-250's, both with varmint barrels, and both could shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards (on occasion ;-).  I would greatly appreciate some advice!  The Leupold seems to have the best value right now for my needs...  I used a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 on both of them, and it did pretty well, but I did not like the "Nikoplex" reticle, because it wasn't thin enough for my taste.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 13:58
Leupold does have many scope configurations and this also adds to thier high prices including marketing and other factors at the corprate level. Fine reticles with good glass are generaly found on target scopes with higher magnifcation than 14x exept for the Conquest but this is probably out of your price range. It does not sound like low light shooting or hunting is the purpose for this purchase so maybee the VXII is the best way to go for what you have described. Here is what you will get with the VX II:poor low light glass,inflated cost,and a good warranty. What you are looking for is a low power target scope for day shooting and due to Leupolds many configurations this might be your only rought for something just OK on a budget but overpriced.

Edited by SVD666
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:21

Ok, so if I were to abandon the fine reticle, what would you recommend in the price range for a scope of APPROXIMATELY a 4-12x40 (things close to this would work, for instance, a 4.5-14x40), out of ANY brand that you might like?  I am VERY open to suggestions, as I have done a great deal of shooting, but I have only used a few brands, mainly Nikon and Tasco.

The price range is around $400.

Thanx guys! Your knowledge and experience is already helping me a great deal.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:35

what about this guy:

6550 Nikon 6.5-20x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 6.5-20x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Fine Crosshair
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $329.95

Heck of a deal for just $329.95 and you get the Fine Crosshair!

take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:40

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6545/nikon_4-12x40_monar ch_ucc_riflescope.htm

Cheaptrick Best Buy!! 

That's stealing. 

You find Nikoplex reticle too thick?

What the heck are you shooting? Match sticks??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:44

Thanx for the quick responses guys!  So are Leupolds really that bad?

Also, how does a Monarch UCC compare to a Buckmaster?  I have owned a Buckmaster, and I was pretty pleased with it, I must say.  What are your opinions on the Burris FFII's?  I don't think that the Bushnell Elite 4200's have anything that I would be interested in.  4-16 might be just a little extreme :-S.

Lol BRB gotta run to class, it always gets in the way.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:48

they are not bad at all.......... but you said you only wanted to spend $400.00!

Monarch's are clearly better than Buckmasters and I would say they are better than Burris FFIIs.

take em!
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:50
Monarchs are better than Fullfield II's and your best value will come from any of the Monarchs on clearance right now,take your pick.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:50
the monarch is better than the buckmaster and the difference is very clear when its darker and when you switch to higher power, its not that leupold makes a bad product, what's turning people off is that the cost is very high for a scope that shouldnt be, i own a burris and i like it as well, its right between the buckmaster and the monarch in my opinion 4-16 is  a good choice for your 250 if i was buying a scope for mine it would be in that 4.5x14 or 4-16 range
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:51

The Monarch is a real step up from the BM.

If you liked the BM, you'll love the Monarch.   

Tip's suggestion is good to go too.

I just bought that scope, but with a lit Mil Dot.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:26

I bought the 6 X 20 Monarch too, the 20 will let you see you point of impact way out

great scope for the price

Duce

Duce
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:50

Wow, thanx a whole bunch guys.  It sounds like the Nikon Monarch UCC's are kind of the best bang for the buck.  I was a little iffy on the FFII's.

So you would really rank the UCC above the VXII 4-12x40AO?  I'm sure the optical quality is better...but what about overall durability and the ability to maintain POI?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:51
absolutly 100% on all levels!! that link to that scope test tells the truth!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:57
Optical quality on the monarch is better and durability and POI comparable. The Savage shooters article has problems that have been discussed here before and I do "not" find it "reliable".
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:58
what dont you agree with??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:01
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:01
You mean you don't find the scope reliable, or the article?  I think I would sacrifice slight optical quality if it meant better durability and maintenance of P.O.I.  But man, 85-87% light transmission compared to 95% kind of sucks dude.  I have also heard that Nikon has shifted production to the Phillippines, this might possibly be just in the Buckmasters series?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:03

I do not find the article reliable.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:04
how come??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:04
Wow, this rocks.  I thought it would take a few days to get a reply, sorry if I'm annoying you guys in any way, I don't want to waste your time or anything.  This is extremely helpful though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic