OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Docter Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Docter Binoculars
    Posted: August/13/2004 at 01:40

As I mentioned in the riflescope section, I was recently able to do some informal testing with a good bit of the Docter Optics line.  The 8x42 and 10x42 center focus  binos seem to be a very good buy for the money.  They are not the equal of Leica and Swarovski but they are a little better than Kahles and Minox.  The view was bright, clear, color accurate, and distortion free.  I personally think that Minox and Kahles are pretty close as far as the view goes.  I think the Docter may have a slightly better view then those two, but I think the Docter had far superior ergonomics.  I have never been a big fan of a right barrel diopter adjustment.  The center placement of the Docter's diopter adjustment allowed me to fine tune things for my eyes very quickly and precisely while using nothing more than a finger and it allows you to hold the binos in a natural viewing position while you make your adjustments.  The rubber covering is quite comfortable and allows for a firm, but not sticky grip.  I just got a real favorable impression from these binos.  There does not appear to be a huge difference in the quality between Docter, Kahles, and Minox.  But the Docters have a few little things that I think make them nicer and when you are talking about items roughly in the same price range, it is the little things that set them apart. 

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic