OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Yukon Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yukon Optics
    Posted: January/09/2007 at 21:36

I noticed on the Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild show that Ted's wife supposedly is using Yukon optics.  Anyone had any experience with this company's optics or know anything about them?

I was thinking of getting one of their 16-32x50 spotting scopes for my kids.  I figure for $70 it might be a pretty good bargain, as long as the optics aren't total crap. 

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Nordic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 08:22
Yukon is a name Russian manufacturer Sibir uses for their US export models. Quality is indeed total c.ap. My friend bought few of them in Moscow for about 10$ each. Image quality was appaling and it was very difficult to look through it. The eyepiece was very sensitive for eye position and image blacked out very easily. IMO not worth even the 10 bucks he paid for them.

Need I say more? ;)

Recommend you look at some other makes. I am sure you can find affordable scopes with much better value.

EDIT: clarification: I am talking about the $69.95 16-32x50 model.

Edited by Nordic
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 08:26

lucznik,

I have no experience with them personally. I do seem to remember alot of interest being focused on one of their higher mag/larger models. I do not remember the name of the model but it actually utilized two different objectives..or an objective and a mirror to obtain two totally different magnification ranges. It received mixed reviews from what I remember.

At that price point maybe that little Winchester Spotter (12-36x50 maybe) that typically sells for right at $100 might be in order. I owned one a few years back and thought it offered acceptable image quality at its lower mag. range. The usual dimmer image with more noticeable CA was present at the higher end. Overall build quality seemed fairly good though for the price.

Frank
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 11:44
there is a draw tube 20x50 scope sold by Yukon for about $30. They are good. The sweet spot in the middle of the field of view is not too wide, but they are bright and sharp, though a bit warm tonned. They can be used handheld but work better on a  tripod (they have a thread underneath). This particular model has been in production for 30 years or so and it has a good reputation.

Edited by anweis
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 17:50

Thanks guys. Y'all have stated pretty much what I expected you would.  That's a comfort.  I think I'll probably just get them a Bushnell Natureview, Spacemaster, or perhaps even a Trophy.  Any of these would be fine scopes for my boys to start out with and will provide solid quality that I can count on. They'll cost me a bit more but, at least it won't be a gamble.

As a side note, I noticed that at one time Bushnell offered a "folded light path" spotting scope that looks identical to the Yukon in question under their low-end Sentry line.  This scope is no longer listed on their website but, it would be interesting to find out if they are indeed the same scope. 

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 09:40

Quote As a side note, I noticed that at one time Bushnell offered a "folded light path" spotting scope that looks identical to the Yukon in question under their low-end Sentry line.  This scope is no longer listed on their website but, it would be interesting to find out if they are indeed the same scope. 

I believe I bought that scope for my wife's grandfather last summer. I found a deal on one in the Bargain Cave and his birthday was coming up so.....

If we are talking about the same scope, which I believe we are, then the optical quality for the price was quite good. It was directly comparable to my Nikon Earth and Sky 60 mm in terms of image quality plus it came with a nice set of accessories. If you can find one still then I would grab it.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic