OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Selecting a new tactical scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 07:13

ok yet another question.

Does the SS come with push pull lockable rings?  If not are they really anything I would miss? 

I like the idea of being able to lock them for when you travel.  I know you can just reset them for zero and all, I'm just curious

mrlullabye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 23:04

I have been stepping up my search for the right scope.  In a lot of ways I like everything about the SS.  Including the price.  A friend of mine has really been working on me to stick with a more proven name brand.  He has over 30 years of benchrest shooting experience so I have to believe he knows what he is talking about.  At the same time I can only justify spending so much money on a scope and it is really going against my grain to consider more, but I have opened my budget up a bit more.  So I was going to run a couple of scopes past you guys and I will put it like this.  If money was not an option which of these scopes would you get?  Also think if all of your bills were paid and you had enough cash to afford any of them, but you still had other financial duties which one would you go for.  Prices are approximate.

Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope 790
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 PR 30mm Riflescope 700
Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope 
Burris 3-12x50 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope 630
Burris 6-24x50 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope 770

They all have 1/4 clicks except for the 6-24 XTR which is 1 elevation and .5 windage. I like the idea of being able to dial into 1000 yards with a single turn of the knob, but 1 moa clicks does seem like a lot to me.  At least the windage is 1/2.  If I had my druthers I think I would want 1/2 W and 1/2 E.  Also realize this is going on a more or less stock howa heavy barrel 308.  This is a $500 gun.  I do have a 20MOA base already, and I really liked the FullfieldII tactical in 4-14x but I think it only having 40MOA of total adjustment would put it out of the running for me.  My barska currently has 40 or 50 total MOA and I can barelly get to a 100 yard zero with it.

I really appreciate any input you guys give me I am having a hard time making this decision.  I may also buy a better rifle in the future and I think if I get a cheaper scope now I could always replace it when I get a bette rifle.

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 23:18
Lots of Super Snipers on the SWFA sample list www.samplelist.com
$250 and $350. If you're looking at the Burris and Leupold 6-20s, check out the Nikon Monarch sale on the 6.5-20 from SWFA. I have a Leupold & the Monarch and can't see any difference.Several of us have had problems with Burris service whereas Leupold is (in my opinion) the industry standard regardless of how much you spend or how old it is. Also check out Ebay as there are 100s of used scopes on it.
I just bought a 40 year old Unertl Vulture IA 10X on there ANIB $400 and it can hold it's own against most of today's scopes. (Of course it is a Unertl!) They were tactical before there was tactical.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 01:04
Originally posted by mrlullabye mrlullabye wrote:

I have been stepping up my search for the right scope.  In a lot of ways I like everything about the SS.  Including the price.  A friend of mine has really been working on me to stick with a more proven name brand.  He has over 30 years of benchrest shooting experience so I have to believe he knows what he is talking about. 

More proven than the Super Sniper???

Could you elaborate on that?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 06:06
I think your friend shouldn't knock the SS until he's used one extensively....some people are prejudiced about the old days where people referred to it as the "Tasco Super Sniper"......I remember seeing a post on here a long time ago where Chris explained the history of the SS but my opinion is double the asking price of the SS wouldn't be unreasonable (but then it wouldn't be the bargain it is). 
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 09:35
The SS is not really a benchrest scope (at least among those who do that stuff that I know) Usually it's a Leupold tweeked up to some very high power or among the ancients (like me) a 2" Unertl.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 09:43
Another question.  How many MOA are in a 360degree turn of the SS scope?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 10:57

Originally posted by mrlullabye mrlullabye wrote:

Another question.  How many MOA are in a 360degree turn of the SS scope?

15 @ 100 yards.

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 11:59

15 @ 100 yards

Interestingly enough it's also 15 moa at 1,000,000 yards. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 12:04
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

15 @ 100 yards

Interestingly enough it's also 15 moa at 1,000,000 yards. 

DOH!!!

HAHA....Thanks Mike!

8 hours of sleep in the past 3 days is wearing on me..........

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 19:56

My SS is zeroed at 200, 37.5 MOA up for 1000 yrds  I have no cant in the base and have more to spare.

A box test at 100 makes a perfect square. For what I wanted it for, It has held its own.  But you might look again at the numbers you posted. The SS is less than half the price of the others you mention, that may not be top tier names for sniper scopes but some pretty big names in the scope Industry.  You'll get your monies worth with the SS, I could afford to spend more, but then I'd lose my tight wad status and I would rather save the money for other things. I need reloading equipment.  The savings between the SS and the MK4 would hook me up right.

I'll rest my case. 

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2007 at 20:24

I know that all things break but this makes for an amusing anecdote;

My Leupold MkIV M3 has been in the shop twice.

I've not had to send a SuperSniper in for repair.

nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 09:17

I was in your situation about a year ago.  I was looking at the Super Sniper, Burris XTR 3-12 and the $600 - $700 Leupolds, plus a few others.  I would have been buying the Super Sniper on reputation alone, which it has.  I was fine with that.  I studied these scopes inside and outside of several stores.  IMHO, the Burris always seemed to win for clarity and color rendition.  The Burris XTR was also the scope which I never found broken knobs or inconsistencies from scope to scope.  I found several scopes which just couldn't handle being handled in the gun store.  I also found the Leupold's in my price range to have an amber tint to their glass.  In the end, I truely thought the Burris was the best optically and it had the 1/4MOA clicks I wanted.  It also had the mildot reticle and big, easy to read exposable knobs, I wanted.  The real deal breaker for me is that I may have to take a less than 50 yard shot on a walking animal.  For that 3x or similar is a need in my opinion.  That broke the deal on the Super Sniper.  I picked the Burris.  My only complaints are:

1)  that I had to send it in when I got it.  They fixed it.  two trips back.

2)  The power indicator is hard to see.  The etching isn't deep enough.  10x for reticle use is easy to find.

3)  the entire eyepiece rotates causing the scope caps to interfere with the action unless setup perfectly.  Then the opener is always moving.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 13:04
Another story confirming
A) Burris quality control sucks
B) Burris repair service is a multi-trip experience

Hmm wonder why the real snipers use Unertl?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 13:14
I thought, at least in terms of the Army and Marines, it was Leupold and S&B for daytime use on M24 and M40's.

Edited by tahqua
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 17:15

I think I am going for the 3-12 burris XTR with mil-dot.

I am going to see if I can get them to throw in that spotting scope like they do on the fullfields.

nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 19:45

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

Another story confirming
A) Burris quality control sucks
B) Burris repair service is a multi-trip experience

Hmm wonder why the real snipers use Unertl?

I think this is a bit extreme.  I will say at the onset that I know nothing of Unertl's quality or control there of. . .  I thought Burris would be a scope built to the highest quality level.  I thought it would be because every Burris I handled was the same(definition of quality). . . none were broken.  I found several other makes in the sub$1000 glass which were broken or just different scope to scope in the case at the store.  I found broken Leupold M1 turrets. . .from too much customer handling??  Is there too much?

That said, my Burris went back twice.  Both times were for stupid things that an inspector should have caught.  They paid at least once and maybe twice.  The only thing that could have improved this experience would have been if it never would have gone back. 

That said, I know a 1911 manufacturer who sent me a gun which jammed and the hammer folloed from the factory.  That took 2 or 3 trips back.  I forgot.  When they finally "fixed" it, they shortenedd the hammer hooks too short for me to consider safe. . . .012", if I remember right.  I could have seent it back again, but why keep tuning a MIM sear.  I just replaced with a quality hammer and sear.  I had to rework half of the dang gun to get a quality 3lb pull out of it.  Now it is perfect in my eyes.

Oh yea, aren't all of the Unertls being replaced by USO?

Edited by nksmfamjp
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 23:49
Insofar as I have heard Unertl is still making scopes and tells anyone enquiring about commercial scopes that they are 100% under military contracts. Sorry about your 1911 (my favorite one) After owning far too many (25+) I have found 2 that always work: My Dad's Remington Rand/Ithaca that he carried thru WWII while a C.O. in the 28th div. and Kimbers.The former with hardball and lead hardball clones and the latter with almost anything except superlight strange shaped bullets.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 22:02
I broke down and ordered the XTR today.  I think/hope it is a good call.  The biggest things I want in it are the nice turrets and the variable power.  I will give a synopsis after this weekend once I have test fired it.  That reminds me I need to get busy loading for the weekend.
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2007 at 20:54
Please, please let us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic