OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Selecting a new tactical scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selecting a new tactical scope
    Posted: January/09/2007 at 20:08

I am not a LE or armed forces sniper, but I like the way they shoot.  So I am potentially in the market for a new scope.  Currently I have a Barska swat that is pretty accurate, but it is 1/8 moa adjustable and not quite as repeatable as I would like when you make adjustments.  So I am looking into getting a new scope.  As much as I hate to lose my variable power I am considering a fixed power scope with the hopes that it will be affordable, durable, and repeatable.  So here is what I want.

Repeatable adjustments

1/2 moa clicks

fixed 10 power or adjustable maybe 4-16 or 6-20

Decent sized objective 40-50mm

mil-dot reticle

a lot of total adjustment

I have considered the bushnell 3200 in fixed 10x as well as the SS and I like both of them, but I would prefer 1/2 moa clicks.  I would also prefer a zero stop, but if that proves to be cost prohibitive I can do without it.  I want to spend between $200 and $500 is possible closer to the first number.  Can anyone think of a good scope in this range with the features?  would anyone argue that the 1/2 moa clicks or the zero stop is not a good idea?

PatriotsWrath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatriotsWrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 20:58

Near as I can tell you identified both of the options you have.

The Elite 3200 10x

or the

Super Sniper 10x

You may have to give on the 1/2 clicks.

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 21:07
You could buy a a used IOR 2.5-10X40 something and get the 1/2 moa adjustment but then you'd have a used IOR...........................................
mrlullabye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 22:18

How important do you guys think the 1/2 MOA clicks are?

I know that from a spreadsheet view the 1/4 moa has an advantage of being more precise, but I look at it like 1/2 MOA is roughly 5.5 inches at 1000 yards so assuming my bullet was laser straight I would be able to dial it in to within about 2.7 inches.  For some reason my mind sort of doubts that logic, but the other part of me says that has to be how it works.  For instance if you were 4.4 inches to the left at 1000 yards then one click to the right and you would be 1.1" from center.  So the worse you could be is 2.7" off because then a single click would move you 2.7 inches in another direction putting you equally far from center.

So if my logic is right there that is about 1.5" from center at 600 yards.  Not bad in my book.  I think that is close enough for anything I would want to deliver a 155gr BTHP to at 600 yards.  I know that more precision is never a bad thing, but I think the 1/2 clicks will probably be more repeatable then 1/4 clicks not to mention fewer turns on the drum.

Also I should add has anyone here owned both the bushnell elite 3200 10x and the SS 10X?  If so I would love to hear the comparison.

What about the zero stop.  How imporant is that and how do you set it?

Edited by mrlullabye
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 06:32

Ask yourself this question;  Do I shoot long range frequently enough to be able to hold and judge the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 moa at 1000 yards?

Probably not.  1/4 moa will work just fine.

There is NO comparison that can be made between the 3200 and the SuperSniper once we agree that both have glass to look through

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 13:25

So are you saying the SS is far better then the 3200?

I am not a professional shooter, but most of this rifles shots if not all are long range.  This is not a hunting gun it is a 200 yard plus target gun.  I want to get into more tactical type matches as well as 600 and 1000 yard competition.  I'm not a big timer in the sport, but that is what I do with the rifle.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 18:36

The SS is so far ahead of the 3200 scope there's no need to list the diffences.

The SS is a designed unit, the 3200 is a look alike at best.

If you dial the same 5,000 firing solutions into both scopes the SS will be ready for 5001.

The Bushnell will be in the shop. 

longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 18:43
THATS IT IN A NUTSHELL, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD MIKE
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 19:46
I like reliable.  I do with it had the 1/2 click and zero stop, but those might just be something I have to do without.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 20:52
Concur on the 3200 10x being inferior to the SS on all counts (but it's $100 cheaper...no surprise there).  I do not like 1/4 Moa clicks for similar logic....however my secondary stick has the SS on it and I just do the mental math, plus I find as long as I'm not in low light (which is never) I can adjust to the full MOA hashmarks without breaking my spotweld...in short, 1/4 is a small price to pay for a scope the quality of the SS at a one-of-a-kind bargain price....I recommend it to anyone who asks and if you hit the lottery you can always move it to a second rifle and go more highend when your ship comes in.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 20:28

For your price range the SS 10x is the clear choice.

If you want to get into the snipers comps none of the optics you listed would be good choice.

Here is what you need to look for:

variable power (3x18 is a good medium power range)

1/2 moa or 1/4 moa knob adjustments

Zero stop on the elevation knob

Front Focal Plane reticle

Optics reticle measurement must match knobs (ie moa/moa not moa knob & mil/metric reticle)

Illuminated reticles are a good idea - personally I dont like them and dont use them

42 to 50mm objective lense

30mm or larger maintube

Expect to drop some coin for it. I spent almost as much on my optic as I did on my rifle.

There is an excellent thread dealing with this very subject on Snipers Hide that I seriously encourge you to read. Its optics for practical long range rifle shooting by Zak Smith. Here is a link to it:

http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic; f=19;t=003150

I just got my equip together to hit a few of the comps this summer. Mabey I will see you at one, I'll be the confused looking guy in the LTM shirt.

Joe

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 03:54
Originally posted by dilligaf dilligaf wrote:

I'll be the confused looking guy in the LTM shirt.

Joe

I HIGHLY doubt that..........

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 12:19

Optics reticle measurement must match knobs

I just have to ask................why?

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 13:44
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Optics reticle measurement must match knobs

I just have to ask................why?

They dont have to be the same but unless you want to do metric/mil's to standard conversion calculations, under stress, in your head its highly recommended that they match. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 16:53
Hey what is a good way to find tactical competitions?  I only know of one tactical competition and it may or may not recur this year.  I am a member of a club that has several 600 and 1000 yard matches a year, but I really like the tactical style shooting.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 18:29

Storm Mountain

Badlands

TacPro

Rifles Only

there are more but the names escape me.

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 19:11

Snipers Hide & Snipers Paradise fourms have a list of the upcomming comps.

Dont forget smack the smiley!!!!!!! Its a real cool contest that can be done at any range, here is a link to its site:

http://www.smackthesmiley.com

Edited by dilligaf
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlullabye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 23:33

I am more or less sold on the super sniper brand.  I do wish it had the zero stop and 1/2 clicks, but I do not see any other scope with those features for less then twice the price of the super sniper.  I did look at the burris Xtreme Tactical in 6-24 which has 1moa elevation and .5 moa windage adjustments.  Does anyone think it is worth spending over twice as much for the burris just for the click difference?

Also if I go with the super sniper I am a little torn on the magnification I should go with.  I have shot 600 and plan on shooting 1000 yard this year.  Would you go 10 16 or 20?

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 11:26
I would not go 1MOA, stick to .5MOA(MOA reticle preffered) or 1CM, 1CM preffered with a Mil-dot or gen II type reticle.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 21:43

10x will work fine for 1000 yds. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic