OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated Nikoplex or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illuminated Nikoplex or not
    Posted: January/09/2007 at 19:57

Is it worth $120 to go from a Monarch UCC with no illuminated Nikoplex to one with illuminated Nikoplex?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 12:15
Not to me it isn't.  Spend the extra money on ammo or a good set of mounts.  Unless you really need the IR and it is a usefull one, I have not seen the one on the Monarch, save the cash.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 12:46
i agree
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 14:06

I went with the Nikon 6.5-20 w/ a lit Mil Dot reticle.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:54
AuburnEngineer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:59
I've decided against going with the illuminated crosshairs...and I may jump up to the monarch Gold.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:00
ooooh ahhh monarch gold  very nice!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 16:17

Originally posted by AuburnEngineer AuburnEngineer wrote:

I've decided against going with the illuminated crosshairs...and I may jump up to the monarch Gold.

I would not go with the Nikon gold for the price. Check out this recent thread.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5399&PN=1

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 10:18

What is the light % difference between the 50 mm gold and the 50 mm UCC?  I would be going from $330 to $500. 

What about the light difference between the 56mm gold and the 50mm gold?  Anyone know where I can find the light % info on Nikons? 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 10:34

Nevermind...found the info.

Nikonusa says that the Monarch UCC 50mm, Monarch Gold 50mm, and the Monarch Gold 56mm all have 95% light transmission.  If that is the case, then why would I want to go from a UCC to a gold?  Will the 30mm tube make that much of a difference?  I guess I don't understand what the 95% light transmission means.  95% of what?

If I decide on the Gold, I'm going to go ahead and get the 56mm for only 50 bucks more.  So I'm basically looking at a $200 difference.  Not forgetting that Cabelas has the 56mm gold listed for $800! 

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 11:28
The 30mm tube makes no difference at all in light transmission.  As far as the 95% is concerned, that is suppose to be and I mean suppose to me the percentage of light that exists the scope as compared to what entered the objective.  As light passes through each lense in the scope, some is diffracted, reflected, absorbed etc. and the quality of the glass is therefore very important.  Look through the bottom of a coke bottle and see how much light is lost as well as the clarity.  Personally, I cannot see going from the Monarchs to the Gold.  I would go to a different brand of scope before doing that.  Kahles, Meopta, IOR or Zeiss, to name a few.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 11:34
That helps.  So from what I've read, I don't see that many, if any, would recommend going from the UCC to the gold and staying in the same size objective.  The only reason I'd go to the gold is to get the 56mm.  The only reason I'm looking at the Nikons is b/c of the $ they are going for right now on SWFA.  I don't think I can get anything any better for the $$$.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 11:54
Yeah, but I do not think the Golds are really on sale, nor are the Buckmasters.  Heck, the cost of a 3x9 Buckmaster is only slightly less than that of the Monarch.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 11:58
Yes the Golds are on sale here at SWFA,not a big advantage over the 1" scopes though.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuburnEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 12:57
But going from a 50mm Objective to a 56mm gives you a 25.44% increase in your exit pupil.  I just wonder if there is that big of a difference whey you look through the two at dusk. 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 13:37
The glass quality is not good enough to make this a significant difference on the gold. I would invest in a euro that was desighned for this type of shooting,Meopta and IOR come to mind on a budget not a Doctor fan.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 13:40
Also keep a look out for the new Kahles KX on a budget.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 19:45
Good post SVD666.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic