OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mntngoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Questions
    Posted: January/09/2007 at 12:19
I have bought 95% of all my optics from SWFA and come here for the straight answers.
I'm in the market for a new scope for my .257AI. I'm currently looking at Zeiss and see the conquest is and the VM/V line as well.
Is there a noticeable difference between the VM/V and Conquest besides the 30mm main tube? Seems the VM/V is 3x the price of the Conquest.
I have also been try to compare them to a Leupold FX-III 6x 42.

Any help would be appreciated.
Michael
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 15:27

yes, the optics are a big jump upwards on the VM/V line IMO.

are you looking for a fixed power scope? if so the monarch ucc has a 6x42 that is very affordable.

i would get kahles if you don't want to spend QUITE as much money on the zeiss.  I think it's a better product. but pricey.

or if you want to spend money in the 'conquest' range - i would reccommend the elite 4200's or Monarch UCC's.

they are tough, bright, and crisp.  my 2 cents.

good luck.

J

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 15:32
You might want to wait for the new Zeiss Classic 6x42 coming out this year. That should be a dynamite scope. What kind of rifle are you building. That's a great round BTW.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 15:36

that's a good call.  i am very anxious to see that line.

J

Mntngoat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mntngoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 16:51
Thanks for the info gentleman. Any idea where the Classic will play out compared to the others such as a
Leupold FX- III 6 x 42?

The rifle is a Sako 75 in 257AI.
Heres a picture of it.

Michael

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 17:03
Nice looking rifle and I agree, a nice caliber.  I've got the Leupold FX III 6X42 and it's a great scope, but I wouldn't expect it to be in the same class as the Zeiss Classic; that's a $1000 list price scope.  The IOR 6X42 is near the price of the Leupold and has been recommended here.  It will have better glass, and is a good bit bigger and heavier.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 17:10

Mntngoat,

Nice looking rifle!  Am I seeing things, or was the receiver originally blued and you had it refinished to match the barrel?  If so, what finish did you use?  CeraKote perhaps?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mntngoat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mntngoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 17:16
Thanks for the complements It was NP-3 coated by Robar. Makes it slicker than snot and lube really is not needed.

Michael
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 17:36
Don't tell me, let me guess. McSwirly, turret and PacNor 3 grove?
Mntngoat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mntngoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 17:44
you either have seen it on 24 Hour campfire or your the great Krespin. 

Yep, to all the above #4 contour, elevation only turret and 1" dot by Premier Reticles.
Thinking of going to the B & C reticle by Leupold or a larger dot by TK Lee on my next scope.

I'm in process of building a 6.5 x 47 on a Borden action, McSwirly, and #3 Lilja, and my Zeiss 3-9 Diavari may get the nod.

Michael

Edited by Mntngoat
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 18:32

Originally posted by Mntngoat Mntngoat wrote:

I'm in process of building a 6.5 x 47 on a Borden action, McSwirly, and #3 Lilja, and my Zeiss 3-9 Diavari may get the nod.

Michael

OOOOOOOHHHHH, man, what a sexy rig that'd be!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 18:40

Yep, the equipment list goes- McMillan, Remington (AKA SUCKS), PacNor 3 groovy, Leupy 6x with a target turret (evelation only) TSX's, Cerocote(sp?) finish, Zeiss Classic 10x40's. Anything short of this recipe and you will go hungry.

BTW, are you going Rimrock or the Borden Alpine? Who's the smith?

Edited by Roy Finn
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 18:43
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

...Anything short of this recipe and you will go hungry.

Unless, of course, you happened to have some beef jerky stored in your ATV bag...

Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 18:51
Na, me thinks quads are good to go over there. The only thing they store onboard over there is booze. Whata bunch of nut jobs..  I have to admit, they are funny as heck but I regress on every visit. If your looking for an opinion on optics that's the last place to search for intelligent life. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic