OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Doctor Optik

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctor Optik
    Posted: January/09/2007 at 06:00
Has anyone had any experience with these scopes?  I thought they had gone out of buisness.  Another vendor is selling them and acts like they are still in buisness with specs and info to follow.  After some research, it sounds like the primary company, which is still in buisness, the major optics company, supplies lenses to Meopta.  Is this true?  Any info would be appreciated, especially from Koshkin as he seems to know the ins and out of the scope manufacturers?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 11:21

I've seen a few. Not sure of the models I saw though.

I never got to shoot underneath one either.

The optics looked pretty decent and they seemed well made.

They've been refered to at "other forums" as a Poor mans S&B....  

That's a stretch.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 12:39
If memory serves me right, Docter Optics is what used to be Zeiss Jena after WWII, i.e. the branch of Zeiss that remained in East Germany after WWII.  I have never heard of anyone supplying lenses to Meopta and while anything is possible, I find it a little unlikely since Meopta is one of the biggest OEM lens and optical assembly suppliers in the world (for example Zeiss Conquest glass is made by Meopta, I believe).  Docter scopes that I have seen have been quite good, especially the 30mm versions.  1" scopes, for whatever reason had clearly lower grade glass, but that was 2-3 years ago.  I think the biggest question about Docter was customer support: they changed a few importers and it is not clear how warranty work would be done.  Also, I thought that Val of IOR Valdada was beginning to import Docter binoculars, but I do not know if he will also be working with the scopes.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 13:23
Thanks Koshkin and Cheaptrick.  Thats what I had read on some odd ball sites about the scopes, regarding their division after WWII.  The info I gleaned with respect to Meopta, also came from that site.  I was a typed informational site that someone had posted.  I cannot seem to locate their website, other than a large corporate Doctor Optiks website as a supplier of high quality lenses for other optical devices.  I have never seen them in a mortar and brick building and would be reluctant to buy one without looking through it and handling it.  The other vendor states they come with a lifetime warranty, but supplies no details.  I have read good reviews on other forums, but they were not strictly optics forums and alot of the other posts were really idiotic.  Will see if anyone else has any first hand experience.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 13:25
Oh, by the way Cheaptrick.  I guess in a way, all other rifle scopes are a poor mans S&B, to a certain extent.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 14:40

Dolphin, you are looking for this I believe:  www.docterusa.com

Nordic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 08:07
Docter USA site doesn't seem to have any of the actual Docter scopes, only red dots and some non Docter stuff.

I think this is the Docter companys site with scopes: http://www.docter-germany.com/frontend/index.php?new_changed _lang=1

Edited by Nordic
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 13:12
Thanks guys.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 15:04

Docter seems to make a really nice 30mm scope and a OK 1"model.  If you look at another scope company, you will see an amazing similarity between their 1" models.  The biggest problem with Docter has been with their importers and the fact that all repairs where done in Germany.  The previous importer B.C. Outdoors waited until they had a large number of scopes needing repair before they sent them back to the factory.  The factory waited until all of the scopes were repaired before they were sent back to the states.  Thus you had a very long wait for even the simplest of issues.  Couple that with the total lack of customer service from B.C. and you can figure out why they had problems.  I here that the new outfit in FL has better customer service and you can order the complete Docter line from them.

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic