OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a Scope for a Ruger No. 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a Scope for a Ruger No. 1
    Posted: January/08/2007 at 19:27

Hello All, I am new to this site, I normally visit louisianasportsman.com and just recently I started posting at 24hourcampfire.com.

I need a scope for a Ruger No 1 - 7 mm rem mag I just bought brand new. 1 inch ruger rings came with the gun.

I always thought that for a scope to gather the most light in low light conditions you needed a large objective 50mm or more and  30 mm tube. from my recent research I have learned that tubes do not gather light... am I right??

I have also learned that good glass that is fully multi coated makes a big difference more than the tube or the objective...am I still right?

I hunt whitetail deer in LA and MS and most shots are 50 to 250 yards. In MS we have a 8 point rule and a button buck rule with steep fines, so I have to count points and make sure it's a doe before shooting.

I have read that ruger no. 1 have a issue with eye relief when  mounting scopes..

I hope this is enough information for you guys... I could really use some input... so I don't waste my money.

my budget is $300.00

thanks in advance -js

Also I am a big cook, I just ate a bowl of duck and smoke sausage gumbo with a side of potato salad

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 20:57

You are correct, the objective makes the biggest difference on light gathering, with all other things beign equal.  A 3x9 50mm objective, should serve you just fine.  With your budget, the following scopes would be my preference in order of their listing:

Sightron SII 3x9 50mm  around 300 dollars

Burris Fullfield II plex reticle, same dimensions, 269.95 on SWFA

Weaver Classic V9 in the same dimensions, 199.95 on SWFA

Edited by Dolphin
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 21:07
Your #1 will require extra long eye relief or offset rings.  I ended up getting offset rings for mine.  I recommend that.
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 11:09
Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 11:24

ok, I have been looking at a bunch of scopes this AM.

Burris FFII

Weaver

Sightron

Nikon

I am pretty sure I want the nikon Monarch 3.5-10 x 50  6530  SWFA has it for 305.00

the Eye Relief is 4-3.9 I hope this will work on my #1. what do ya'll think?

also, I guess this is the rock bottom price???

any help or comments are greatly appreciated!!

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Mntngoat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mntngoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 12:23
I have found the Leupold 2-7 compact or 2.5- 8 to be about the best scope for the #1.  Extension seems are almost mandatory for most scopes with the #1 so you don't end up "crawling the stock"  I have a 2.5- 8, 2-7compact and 3-9 compact in use on my #1's.

Michael

Edited by Mntngoat
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 15:23

with the nikon monarch UCC's on sale, i would go nikon and get the 50mm w/ the BDC reticle.

i think it's the best bang for a 50mm lens. 

good luck.

J

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 16:50
I'd highly recommend you go ahead and get the extension ring; it will be money well spent.  I couldn't find any scope that was comfortable on my #1 until I got them.  The design of the #1 sets the scope way forward and I needed 5" of eye relief without the rings.  Buy the extension rings and use any scope you want.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 19:00

Jonbravado, why the BDC?  I was planning on getting the niko-plex. I am going eat a bowl of gumbo, then I plan to order tonite.

thanks dude -js

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 20:11
I have #1 in .45-70 wtih an old Leupold 3 x 9....never had much problem with eye relief.  Any of the scopes listed above should work great.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 07:53

Thanks for all ya'lls input. I really learned a lot in the last 3 weeks reading this site and 24hourcampfire.com. I purchased a nikon monarch 3.5-10x50 niko-plex last night for 305.00.

Jonbravado, I read up on the BDC, I think I would like one on my muzzleloader. I did not buy that for this gun though. one of my thoughts is all those extra adjustments COULD maybe just be more things to break on me. just a thought....

thanks again to everyone who replied!!

after I mount the new scope I will update ya'll.

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 10:26

good choice - have no regrets -

they only reason i suggested the BDC is that you can reach out and touch something w/ a 7mm Mag.

thought you might want the BDC - nikoplex is just fine - great scope.

let us know what you think!!!

J

chmcmm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmcmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2007 at 21:04
I had a Ruger #1 in 7mm mag. Loved the rifle but it wasn't accurate enough. I put a glossy Leupold 3x9x40 on it. It looked great. Just my opinion but any scope bigger than that doesn't look right on a #1. Enjoy the Nikon. Should be a good scope.
4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 08:53
I agree whole-heartedly with chmcmm; anything larger looks funny on a #1.  As well, they are not noted for their accuracy.  Have them in .270 & .45-70....beautiful wood in both, fun to shoot, but just don't shoot very accurately.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 10:36
this is the first I have ever heard of a ruger #1 not being accurate. what do you call not accurate? are you getting 1 inch or less groups at 100yards?
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 12:22
Flyers; stringing shots.  Can be help by adjusting forearm screw; have to find a load that the gun likes....more so than most rifles. 
chmcmm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmcmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 18:22

I won it at a gun bash. I loved the wood and how it handled but it strung shots all over the paper. I'm not the best shot but I can get consistent 1 inch groups with my other deer rifles. I think I remember reading that the varmint rifles were accurate but their regular caliber rifles suffered. I forget why but it might have had something to do with the barrel and how it attached to the receiver or maybe it was the scope rail and how it attached to the receiver. I think you can make them accurate...it just takes more work than it would on say a Savage.

Do a web search on Ruger#1. There was a web site specifically dedicated to the Ruger#1. That said, I'd love to have one in 45/70 even if it only shot 2 inch groups.

Edited by chmcmm
4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 18:27
I love the 4570....really, really fun to shoot....groups go from 2" to 6" (100yd) depending on load.  Most I have read (and experienced) is that you just have to try different loads...you will find one that shoots well.  Enjoy the rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic