OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for antelope hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:39
I was a fixed power fan for years. Now lower powered variables are on most of my guns. It is nice to have low power when in the cedar swamps and higher power on the ridges. I also find that there is good light transmission on these scopes if set at 6X on objectives from 32-42mm. Cast another vote for variables here, too.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 14:52
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Thanks Setter.

I would "think" that anything more than 14x would get you some wicked mirage issues out there over the prarie.

Standard duplex reticles or some kind of ranging reticle do you "goat killers" prefer?  

cheap - Mirage is indeed a factor, especially in September.

I've always used a standard duplex...although I've never tried a BDC of any sort on pronghorn.  I think it would be a great idea with practice...

I've used a Leica rangefinder on many hunts, and this takes most of the guestwork out of longer-range shooting...although I've practiced a lot with the rifles I've used at known distances to 600 yards, so I know where to hold.

bobrammer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobrammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 17:16
Okay guys.  Thanks for all of the help.  I went with a gloss scope simply because my Browning has a high gloss blue.  If I were putting it on a stainless gun or a gun with a matte finish, I would have gone for the matte finish.  We will probably hunt somewhere near the Roswell area if we can hook up with a landowner.  Failing that, maybe the TX panhandle.  I ordered the scope today.  I went with the Nikon Monarch 5.5 - 16.5 x 44.  SWFA has these on sale for $289.95.  I figure I can crank it back down if there is a problem at the higher magnification levels.  This gun will mainly be for Antelope, but figure this might make a pretty good Mule Deer gun as well.  Many thanks for all of the input!  Bob
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 17:23

That's a good scope. You'll like it.

I have used one on a buddies 7mm Mag.

Hell of a deal from SWFA too.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 18:26
nice choice!! good luck on the hunt!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 23:54
You can get a neoprene slide on camo kit from Brownell's that will help kill the glare off the hi polish blue and stock and it also protects from minor dings. easy to put on and take off and usable on almost any rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic