OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for antelope hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobrammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for antelope hunting
    Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:04
Hi:  I'm new to the forum and need some guidance.  I'm currently putting together a rig for antelope hunting in New Mexico.  I have a Browning B-78 single shot in 25-06.  I'm thinking in the 4.5 - 14 power range.  Would prefer to stay with a 40 - 42 lense.  Must be a 1" tube.  I've been looking at Burris and Nikon.  I would also consider a Leupold, but they don't offer a scope with a gloss finish.  Any suggestions?  Many thanks!  Bob
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:12
What kind of $$ are you looking at?  The folks here will gladly spend it for you iffin you want and get you 1 NICE scope! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:13
i wouldnt argue with the burris or the nikon, look at the bushnell elite 4200 also a good scope. welcome to the group!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bobrammer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobrammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:14
I don't really have a budget in mind.  I must say I find it hard to imagine the Swarovski stuff is worth the money!  I'd rather pay a little more and get a quality product that will deliver when I need it.  Bob
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:17
im not much for dropping a ton of money on a scope either, i use nikon monarchs and burris ff2 and nikon buckmasters and they have done everything i have ever asked of them and they work in foul weather on both ends of the spectrum, but im sure some of the other members will talk about the higher end stuff.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:18

try the 4200's - they are excellent -

if you can swing it, try the meostar by meopta - they are swaro/zeiss quality for less.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

thanks

Welcome to the OT

J

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:45
Having a 1885 WY commemorative in 25-06 (same as your B78 but more "period") and having shot Antelope with it, I'd say that a fixed 6 or 8 power would work well or variable. Since the Browning rings are 1", a Monarch or Leupold will do well. You are right about objective size... the smaller the better as low light isn't really an issue in the high plains. One thing to remember before you go to super high power, is that lots of "lopes" are shot at under 100 yards... probably more than at 300 yards. If you are hunting private land, water holes or other places where the truck & ATV "hunters" are not chasing them from dawn to dusk it is not to difficult to set up a blind or ambush hide and get quite close.If you handload the 100 gr barnes TSX with 4831 or 7828 should produce a sub 1" load that is deadly. Antelope are excellent eating IF you get them skinned and cooled ASAP. Many folks where I live (WY) call them "goats" because they throw them in a pickup, skin on and ride around all day showing them off in 75 degree weather.
One last thought is buy a good laser rangefinder as that clear air and flat country can fool the best hunter.GOOD HUNTING!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:38

Kahles has a couple of fixed power scopes that might fit well for you also.  Thier field of view is great than other makes, but you give up some eye relief. 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:20

This would be a nice compliment to your beautiful rifle....and it won't break the bank with the new sale price.

6540 Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope                        Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $263.95
More Info... Buy Now

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:23

Welcome to The OT!!

Why do you prefer the gloss finish?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:24
i have shot a lot of critters and a lot of paper and glass targets and i have always noticed one thing about a fixed power scope, imo i cant ever have the perfect power, you always end up being either A. in a situation when you need more power to help accuracy. or B. you have to much power and cant aquire the target easily, so i vote for a variable power scope.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:38

pyro:

I too am considering hunting "speed goats" this year.

In your opinion, what's the ideal power range for those critters?

What part of NM are you considering hunting, bobrammer?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:46
i dont consider myself an expert in the optics field i am just going by personal experiences and i cant see any reason to use any scope bigger than 4.5x14 or 4x16 i like to get within a 100 yds if i can and at that range you dont need more mag. than that, i do consider myself more of a gun expert than optics so i depend on people like you to tell me about the stuff i cant afford, which is most likely stuff i wouldnt buy anyways because if my scope is twice the price of my rifle i start to question the true value of the product, how much name am i really buying, also where are you looking to hunt goats??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:54
Variables are nice BUT nowhere as durable as a good fixed power. A good 6X will kill any Antelope that is in a responsible range to shoot at. I have shot them with a Leupold Alaskan 4X (215 yds), 6.5-20x Leupold (320 yards) a 4-16 Schmidt & Bender (120 and 250 yards) and a 6X M8 Leupold (215 yards). the ones with the 4X & 6X were the most simple as I was not twisting rings and fooling with the objective.Also generally lighter and smaller and you can upgrade brand wise with a fixed vs a variable. JUST FYI there are a lot more "lopes" in WY than NM and the season is longer. The best trophies are in AZ but it takes a long time to draw. Good hunting

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:02

I'd like to try NM for pronghorns, but I'm not particular if your inviting me to your place.....

I lived in E. New Mexico.

Didn't hunt there, but saw some nice bucks running around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:04

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

Variables are nice BUT nowhere as durable as a good fixed power.

Player....please.......

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:11
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

pyro:

I too am considering hunting "speed goats" this year.

In your opinion, what's the ideal power range for those critters?

What part of NM are you considering hunting, bobrammer?

Cheap - I've taken a few speed goats in my days, mostly in Montana and at ranges from 100 yards or so to 400.  I'd say for a combo deer/antelope rifle, a 3-10x would be nice.  For a dedicated antelope gun, 4-12x or 4.5-14x is plenty sufficient.  In fact, my longest shot was taken at 12x magnification, and that was more than adequate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:18

Thanks Setter.

I would "think" that anything more than 14x would get you some wicked mirage issues out there over the prarie.

Standard duplex reticles or some kind of ranging reticle do you "goat killers" prefer?  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:30
it really pissed me off that as a resident you had to draw out for antelope in the great state of wyoming, i am still befuddled today, they are all over the state and yet anyone can get a deer or elk tag, for god sake they will run along your truck, thats a dumb critter! somewhat tasty though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 13:31

if you want fixed, i would reccomend the 6x42 monarch, or the 6x42 IOR -

if you want a good variable, try the buckmaster 40mm w/ the side focus for a budget piece - that will solve the parallax issues at longer ranges.

if you have a little bit more money, try a 4200 elite.

i like fixed scopes, myself.  but i am a simple man.

J

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic