OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need some advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some advice
    Posted: January/07/2007 at 21:33

I need to buy a new scope I only want to spend $300-400 .I hunt in the tall timber of  western Oregon for deer and elk  shots range from 100yds (deer) to 500 (elk)  some sugestions for a scope will be appreciated it will be going on a kimber montana 300wsmConfused

Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 23:40

I would go with a zeiss conquest in 3-9x40 but some people would need a touch more magnification for the range you want. In which case I can't believe I'm saying this but I would recomend a nikon monarch in 4-12x40 only because they are priced so low right now it seems illegal. About the A/O, you will find yourself in a much more comfortable situation if you have it when taking shots beyond 300yds. However the zeiss is sharper, brighter and the reticle is nice a dark. [stands out against the image, better than most scopes in the price range]

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 00:46

I think that a standard 3-9 will serve you well. At 500 yards I would want a bit more magnification but then you also mentioned that your hunting tall timber for deer and at fairly close ranges so with that in mind I would still want to have a scope that goes down to 3X Power.

I have to agree with the Zeiss Conquest its a very nice scope about the best out there in terms of optics unless you want to spend a great deal more money.

Some others brands and models that are also very nice in my order of preference:

Zeiss Conquest

Bushnell 4200 Elite

Burris Signature / Pentax Lightseeker

Nikon Monarch

Weaver Grand Slam

All are very nice scopes that will serve you well

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 06:39
Nice rifle!  I wouldn't spoil it with a scope that's too big and heavy.  A Leupold 3.5-10X40 would work nicely on it.

Edited by mwyates
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 06:45
Originally posted by Acenturian Acenturian wrote:

I think that a standard 3-9 will serve you well. At 500 yards I would want a bit more magnification but then you also mentioned that your hunting tall timber for deer and at fairly close ranges so with that in mind I would still want to have a scope that goes down to 3X Power.

I have to agree with the Zeiss Conquest its a very nice scope about the best out there in terms of optics unless you want to spend a great deal more money.

Some others brands and models that are also very nice in my order of preference:

Zeiss Conquest

Bushnell 4200 Elite

Burris Signature / Pentax Lightseeker

Nikon Monarch

Weaver Grand Slam

All are very nice scopes that will serve you well

AC

Seems like a good line up to me.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 07:29
IOR6X42H7A IOR 6x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 6x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 7a
  • 30mm
SWFA: $419.95

200918 Burris 2.5-10x44 Euro Diamond 30mm Rifle Scope Burris 2.5-10x44 Euro Diamond 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 30mm
  • Hunter/Comp. Knobs
SWFA: $441.95
More Info... Buy Now

6546 Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $286.95

424165M Bushnell 4-16x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Bushnell 4-16x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $435.95

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $422.95

Once you hit that $400 range there are lots of nice options.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 07:50
thats a sweet caliber choice and a very sweet rifle!!! i was born and raised in elk country and i can tell you from experience that even on 9x an elk at 500 yds isnt a small target, i really like the nikon monarch and i know a lot of the people in here like the bushnell 4200 i too would stay away from leupold, they cost more than i think they are worth over the years there price has gone up but the quality has not.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 08:27
"price has gone up but the quality has not"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 08:40

elite 4200 or monarch would be a good choice - nice rifle, and good luck.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 08:49
go ahead waive the yellow flag call bullsh*t!! if you dont think that then you either a. have no idea what you are talking about or b. you were leupold underwear to bed at night. when leupold quit making the vari x's they basically sold out!! i have been using leupolds for years and i am a third generation leupold user and i have used almost all of them until they quit making the vari x's those scopes were built very well and performed like it and they were affordable for all to own! now you cant hardly afford any of there scopes and a lot of other companies make a better product that cost's less!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:11
CJ... one question...how can you get within 100 yards of a Deer but only 500 from an Elk.
That sleek little Kimber deserves a sleek scope not some big objective top heavy monster. Many 3-9X40 compacts will be an excellent choice.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 11:00

Whatever you do, stay completely away from the Bushnell Elite 4200 if you hunt in Western Oregon.  They've had confirmed fogging problems in my neck of the woods after this winter's heavy precip....

Pretty hard to beat the Zeiss Conquest 3x9 in your price range.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 11:26
Originally posted by seattlesetters seattlesetters wrote:

Whatever you do, stay completely away from the Bushnell Elite 4200 if you hunt in Western Oregon.  They've had confirmed fogging problems in my neck of the woods after this winter's heavy precip....

Pretty hard to beat the Zeiss Conquest 3x9 in your price range.

Wow....... that's a bummer  

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 11:31
Root........ nice post........ I appreciate you taking the High road!  
take em!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:34

i think the fogging problems for the 4200's are an isolated rumor that got

spread around the rumor mill. or i would hope so.

i have hunted mine in many downpours and it has performed flawlessly. 

and it has taken many kicks from my 30.06. AND a drop.

sometimes rumors get started that take a life of their own. take it with a grain of salt, as ANY advice.

including mine.

i have heard NOTHING bad about the 4200's except the NW weather rumor.

good luck.

J

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:42
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

i think the fogging problems for the 4200's are an isolated rumor that got

spread around the rumor mill. or i would hope so.

i have hunted mine in many downpours and it has performed flawlessly. 

and it has taken many kicks from my 30.06. AND a drop.

sometimes rumors get started that take a life of their own. take it with a grain of salt, as ANY advice.

including mine.

i have heard NOTHING bad about the 4200's except the NW weather rumor.

good luck.

J

Saw it with my own two eyes.  Wouldn't pass it along if I hadn't.

I don't think it will  matter much outside of this region, either.  But since the poster hunts in Western Oregon, I thought it pertinent information.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 12:49
i thought the elites had this new fancy rainguard coating?? guess it didnt help, i have heard a lot of good things said about the elite series but that bushnell name still haunts me, i know the elites are suppose to be the old bausch&lamb scope but its still got the bushnell name on it and that raised a red flag in my mind
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 14:03

i was one of the guys who had HATED bushnell before the elite 4200's -

i live in 100% humidity most of the hunting season down south. Never had a problem.

sorry to hear that you have.

is it the snow? or the wet?

J

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 15:39
seattlesetters, before you write off the 4200 as a dud, I sincerely believe that what you experienced was a rarity and nothing to do with the weather. If every 4200 used in those conditions you described fogged, then I would agree with you 100%. I can tell you that if I were to hunt in those conditions, based on my experience with 4200's and 4000's I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I believe you just saw two defective scopes, nothing more or less.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 15:44

Wow that is news to me. I've seen several 4200 Elites hunt very well no leaks and no problems in horrible rain (no game shot, they  were smart and stayed in on those days LOL) but none the less the scopes were as water tight as my Pentax.

Still think the 4200 Elite is one of the best buys out there, yes it may say Bushnell on the side but it is one heck of a scope.

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic