OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kimber 82

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kimber 82
    Posted: January/07/2007 at 13:34
Hi:
I have just bought a Kimber 82 without aperture sights.  I'm really a babe in the woods here so I need some help.  It came with mounting blocks on the barrel and I would like to mount a scope.  Someone suggested BKL mounts/rings but I do not know which one to order.  I also need help with a scope choice.  I'm planning on using this for informal shooting.  Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Grab
Grab View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2007 at 17:52
I found my info somewhere else.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 16:59

Grab,

I have a Kimber of Oregon 82, and I used Talley rings and bases and the now-discontinued Kahles 2-7X36 AH rimfire scope.  It makes for a great looking combo!  The scope is nice and compact and optics are wonderful -- one of the best if not THE best purpose-built rimfire scope I've used!  You should be able to find some used ones still for reasonable prices.  I wish Kahles hadn't discontinued this scope, and I'm hoping maybe they'll bring back a rimfire variable in their new KX line.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 07:31
The CL 2-7x36 is available.  It is not multizero and no parallax adjustment.  I am thinking they will move it to the KX line.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 18:02
Yes, but the CL is parallax adjusted to 100 meters, intended for centerfire use.  Really isn't the best choice for a .22LR.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
plinkster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plinkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 13:07

Greetings,

Looking for scope rings for a Kimber of Oregon Model 82 with grooves milled in the receiver.

Anyone know who makes these for 1" diameter optics?

Regards,

Dave in Boulder,CO

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 11:37

RD has a point there, depending on what you want to do. I have a 4x B&L Balfor on my Ruger .22 sighted in for 50 yards. Head shots on coons and opposums are no problem @5yds and 100yard shots at cans are a snap. If you want precision you should get an AO or a rimfire scope, though.

Kimbers are a very nice gun and certainly deserve a Kahles.

BKL are supposed to make excellent mounts for airguns. I have had problems with a hard kicking Webley Patriot and the posters at airgun forums suggested them. I would rather have the Talleys on the Kimber, though. They are very well made and the machining is top notch. I believe they were/are made from 4150, at least on the several sets I have.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 10:39
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I would rather have the Talleys on the Kimber, though. They are very well made and the machining is top notch. I believe they were/are made from 4150, at least on the several sets I have.

Here are a couple pics of my Kimber of Oregon M82 Super America wearing the now-discontinued Kahles AH 2-7X36 Rimfire model scope and Talley mounts.  I'm a firm believer that a scope should complement, not overpower a rifle, and I try to select scopes that are proportional with the rifle, not only in terms of physical size and weight, but also magnification range.  To my way of thinking, this scope was one of the finest hunting rimfire scopes ever created, because it combined great optics and good magnification range for a rimfire, in a compact package.  Unfortunately, there's currently a lack of really high quality, true rimfire scopes available any more, and I wish something would be introduced that's on par with the Kahles.

Ted

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2007 at 20:26
RD, that is a high class rig. Do you use it for hunting? I think that gun would be a dream in the field.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 14:55
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

RD, that is a high class rig. Do you use it for hunting? I think that gun would be a dream in the field.

Thanks for the compliment!  Yes, I use it for squirrel / rabbit hunting and general plinking, but it isn't my "every day, hard use" hunting rimfire, mainly because the stock is stunningly beautiful, which you can't really see in the pics, and I'm a little afraid of getting it beat up.  It handles beautifully, but I use it in good weather and am very careful with it in the field.  I use my Rem 504 .17 Mach II for general, everyday rimfire shooting.
Ted

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 15:09

A Remington 504 for your everyday gun, I'm envious. Have you used the .17 on anything the size of a coon and what glass do you have on it?

Thanks

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2007 at 17:49

Haven't used it on anything larger than prairie dogs, but it is extremely accurate!  It wears a Burris 4.5-14 "Short Mag" scope.  I'm not overly impressed with its optics, but it is relatively compact and has A/O, which is good for the .17 Mach II, which covers and nearly doubles traditional .22LR effective range.

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic