OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with new scope ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:09

Guys I only meant 1 negative remark towards root.......   I have really appreciated ALL the help i had already received and I greatly appreciate the continued help. 

I agree about all guns not liking all bullets.  I will shoot the sciroccos and see.  If they arent the bullet then another one will be the replacement.  I do take hunting serious and I believe in 1 shot 1 kill.  If I see a big bull/deer/whatever and the closest I can get is 500 yds, then I want my gun to perform like I want it too and have confidence that the 1 shot should have brought him down.

Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope does look like a nice scope but may be too much out of my price range.  I will continue to research that scope.  Does look good.  I could probably go max to $700.

Guys thanks alot for encouraging me to continue to come here.  As of last night after my reply, I thought that was my last time to post here.  It is nice to see there are good people on here! 

Keep the scope ideas coming!

Ben

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:21

check out meopta meostar lines - they are tremendous for the money.

J

BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:23
Not much eye relief though.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:25
eye relief with that cannon is a major factor to think about when looking at scopes!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:25
Once again we are treated to the "Barnes are finicky" line. Why do we hear it? Because it has been written so often by so many experts that it is accepted without question. Heaven forbid that we should actually test the TSX and see how it works. I have shot them in 22-06, 25-06, 270 WCF, 308 W, 30-06, 300 WM, 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 400 Whelen and 400 H&H. In NO case have I had any problem developing a load that was sub MOA (three shots) from an ordinary rifle that equaled or exceeded factory ammo.The fact that Federal premium ammo is now available with them is a rather telling statement.(My friends out of the box 77 270 with a 4X scope will put 5 in 3/4" @ 100 with the federal ammo). What I don't get is why anyone who would spend 1000s on a rifle & scope, perhaps more 10s of thousands on other gear and guides, then considers it a point of pride to use cheap bullets? As to Ben shooting an Elk at 500 yards... well anyone who would endorse that kind of irresponsible activity is not an ethical hunter, if that is preaching so be it. Anyone who says you can't get closer than 500 yards to an Elk has never learned to hunt, and hunting not sniping is the point of being in the field.
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:37

You have a friend?!?!

How much do you have to pay him?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:38
ethically speaking i agree that shooting at any animal beyond your abilty is not cool to do, but some people train for years and can pull off a 500 yard one shot kill on an animal some people like to sneak up as close as they can for a challenge and others will see how far away they can be and still be affective, people get curious and try things like that and in both cases failure will happen no matter how prepared you are no matter how much your gun & scope cost and no matter what kind of bullet you use, but in my eyes the 300 ultra is capable of taking animals @ 500 yds if the shooter does his part, i have seen elk dropped @ 500 yds with open sites one shot kill with a 30-30 was is luck? not really the man shooting the gun was well educated in the ballistic's of his gun and knew roughly how high he had to hold and the animal died on the spot from one little 150 grain flat nose 30-30 bullet to the back of the head.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:46

I bet he was aiming for the back of its head too!  Practice at the range helps for the field.

I will know my gun inside and out and if someone has a problem with that, well then that is too bad!

Edited by BNagel
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:51

sorry, forgot you had a cannon!!

yes, you will need to have more eye relief. 

rootmanslim, let it go.  or sign off and don't come back.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:54

i myself lived in wyoming many years and have hunted elk and deer and i own 300 win mag and 300 wsm and i continue to practice at 500 yards and at 100 yards and at all distances in between and i'm not one to be critical on bullets because if the animal dies then the bullet didnt ever fail of couse i dont recommend anyone using nosler ballistic tips for elk unless you are a head shooter, but other than that whatever works for you stay with it

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:05

Back on track here and not talking about whose penis is bigger or better and why, all I would like is more info on scopes.  That is all.

This is getting to be a real interesting site though IMO!

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:07
The "problem" is that under real world field conditions shooting anything at 500 yards is a chancy thing. If it's a target or a gong and the wind shifts, the mirage changes, the rest is not perfect etc, no real harm is done. If it ends up with an Elk gut shot or missing a leg it is a problem. Since I spend a lot of time on my horse in the mountains of Wyoming, I can speak to finding the after season horror stories left by the "hunters" who try those 500 yard shots. You may well "know your gun" but you cannot know the numerous other factors that can screw up a long range shot. I know my 22-06 very well and shoot it a great deal more than almost any hunter does his big game rifle. But you know what? I still miss "dogs" at 300 yards on occasion because of the wind, light, they move, my rest wobbles etc.. If you cannot admit that wounding game when shooting at long range under real world field conditions is a very real possibility THEN you either are in denial or have not spent much time in the field after the dudes have gone home. There is just no reason to leave a suffering animal in the field just to have bragging rights on the "long shot". Most folks I know who are hunters pride themselves on getting in close and making a clean kill. The 500 yards shooters are not invited back.
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:12
Get off of it man.  You are getting old.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:14
i dont mean to talk about non scope stuff but i shot a white tail deer last fall from 8 yards and i took five hours to die! they can run a long time with no heart as can an elk
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:15
with a bow sorry
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BNagel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:17

Was it a 100 yard shot?

Did you practice alot?  Or just picked up a bow and slung an arrow?

I now saw 8 yrd shot, sorry.

Edited by BNagel
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:20
eight yards quarting to me all i hit was an artery it jumped the string but i was so close it still hit it nice little eight point got 55 jars of meat out of it, we chased it for five hours before it died
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:26
Sorry to burst your Distinguished Marksman wannabe bubble but those of us who have been there, done that and seen the results of what 500 yard "hunters" leave behind just won't "get off it".
Having also been a bowhunter for 45 years I have yet to see a really heart shot deer that takes more than 5 minutes to die. They will probably run up to 200 yards but they are dead. it's biology... no heart pumping blood equals death. You snipers who wish to become hunters might take a gander at Traditional Bowhunter magazine. Hunting like Fred Bear and Howard Hill did it... when your window is 30 yards you learn to hunt or go hungry.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 11:03

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

Once again we are treated to the "Barnes are finicky" line. Why do we hear it? Because it has been written so often by so many experts that it is accepted without question. Heaven forbid that we should actually test the TSX and see how it works. I have shot them in 22-06, 25-06, 270 WCF, 308 W, 30-06, 300 WM, 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 400 Whelen and 400 H&H. In NO case have I had any problem developing a load that was sub MOA (three shots) from an ordinary rifle that equaled or exceeded factory ammo.The fact that Federal premium ammo is now available with them is a rather telling statement.(My friends out of the box 77 270 with a 4X scope will put 5 in 3/4" @ 100 with the federal ammo). What I don't get is why anyone who would spend 1000s on a rifle & scope, perhaps more 10s of thousands on other gear and guides, then considers it a point of pride to use cheap bullets? As to Ben shooting an Elk at 500 yards... well anyone who would endorse that kind of irresponsible activity is not an ethical hunter, if that is preaching so be it. Anyone who says you can't get closer than 500 yards to an Elk has never learned to hunt, and hunting not sniping is the point of being in the field.

Rootman,

The TSX is a great bullet, no doubt.  I've used it quite a bit in my 7mag, which happens to shoot it extremely well.  I couldn't say the same for the standard X or XLC bullets though.  I couldn't get either of those to shoot out of any of my other rifles, no matter what load I tried.  In fact, I got terrible accuracy results with those bullets.  I suppose I could have spent 1000s of dollars to test every conceivable combination of seating depths, powders, charge weights, etc. and perhaps I might have found a load combination that would shoot, but why?  There are several very good bullets that perform on par with the X, depending on the application.  Back to the TSX.  Like every other bullet design, some rifles shoot well with it, some don't.  So far, I haven't been able to get a load combo with the TSX that shoots well in my .300, for instance.  It's an issue of available magazine space & OAL vs. throat length vs. bullet length vs. barrel twist, etc., etc.  There's no such thing as a bullet that's best for every application.  Just like every thing else, competition drives innovation, and without it, there would be no incentive for any manufacturer to improve their products.  I've found the Winchester Fail Safe seems to penetrate and stay together just as well as the TSX on elk-sized game.  If all I ever hunted was elk, bear, deer larger than TX whitetails, and up, the TSX would be a great choice for everything if my rifles all shot them well, but by far the big game animals I hunt the most are whitetails and predators.  Personally, I wouldn't use the TSX for deer sized animals, because I want a bullet that expands better on thinner game of this size.  I've consistently been able to get loads with bullets like the Nosler AccuBond, Hornady InterBond and SST to group better out of most of my rifles than the TSX and those have produced devastating performance on deer, including complete exits in all cases.  The TSX would, of course, be a very poor choice for small varmints like PDs.  For that, I want a high BC, extremely frangible bullet like the V-Max, Ballistic Tip Varmint, SP, etc.  The universal, do-everything bullet simply doesn't exist.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 11:06
I have to line up with slim, here.  For the majority of shooters under the majority of conditions a 500 yard shot at an unwounded animal is unethical.  There are a few people who can do it, but they are very few. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic