OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope on A-bolt .270

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope on A-bolt .270
    Posted: January/06/2007 at 11:17

A friend of mine recently gave me his Browning A-bolt .270 saying he didn't need it anymore and as a thank you for some favors I did for him on his farm last summer.  The gun currently has a Simmons 3-9x40 and I am wanting to upgrade to the Bushnell 4200 4-16x50.  I am mainly coyote hunting right now but plan on deer hunting next fall/winter.  I have two questions:  1.  Am I choosing the correct scope for what I am doing?  2.  I need to know what mounts/rings I will need.  I'm new to the whole rifle scene and am not sure exactly what I need. Thank you guys for any help.  I'm really enjoying the forum.

-Billy

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2007 at 17:37

Man..... what did you do for the guy........ does he need anymore help? 

That sounds like a great choice to me!  You have a few choices for mounts and rings.  I have had good luck with Leupolds and folks here like Burris Signature, Warne and Talley.  Best advice I can give you is to have a Pro install the mounts, rings and scope!  Most places usually charge around $5.00.

Let us know how it shoots.

take em!
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2007 at 18:57
Good choice on the scope!  Should do the job very well.
cottonpicker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 00:29
Thank you for the replies and for the options on mounting hardware.  It's not often that a person would give another an A-bolt Medallion and I just want to set the optics quality to the gun quality.  The friend that gave it to me knew that there was a deer that often was on a farm of his and he wanted to kill it so he purchased this gun.  He explained to me that he saw it one day and after putting the deer in the scope decided he didn't have the heart to kill it so he put the gun up after only firing it to sight it in.  So, he didn't want it/need it anymore and gave it to me.  To answer your question, Tip, I helped look over his farm for about a week while his father was terminally ill in the hospital this past summer.  I never wanted anything in return for it but I'm quite proud to have the gun now.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 04:13

Welcome to The OT, cottonpicker!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 10:25
Excellent rifle and choice in optics.  You will be perfectly satisfied with your choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic