OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 4-14X50 Non Adjustable Objective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 4-14X50 Non Adjustable Objective
    Posted: January/04/2007 at 20:10
I'm looking for a really good scope with atleast 14 power and has great low-light capabilities.  The scope will be mounted on a remington sendero in 7RUM.  I hunt alot of open pasture land with atleast 800yds view all around.  I don't take shots to that distance but would like a scope strong enough for me to decide if I need to move closer to an animal.  I also hunt some hardwoods as well so I atleast want to be able to go down to 4 power.  I'm not a big fan of AO scopes and would prefer to stay away from it if possible.  I know Leupold makes a scope with the options I'm looking for but I'm really not a Loopy fan.  Maybe I would be but my hunting partner is an absolute diehard LOOP-nut and it has severely turned me off to the brand.  I have lurked here quite a bit and value all of your opinions.  I'd prefer to stay around $600 but can go higher if it's the only option.  Thanks in advance.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 20:19

Here is a very good scope that fits all of your requirements with outstanding optical properties and construction.

You have made a exellent choice to stay away from Leupold, just do not let your friend look though it to long, he

might jump you.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/IOR414X50H4A/ior_4-14x50 _hunting_30mm_rifle_scope.htm

scrubhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 21:49
I had looked at that scope and liked it alot but isn't it an ajustable objective scope with side focus?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 21:58

No it is not,that is a typo in alot of SWFA'a scope titles.

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/02f

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 22:12
See, that's what I love about this place.  I hadn't even given that scope a second look because of the side focus miscue.  From what I have read here they seem to be really good scopes and the glass quality appears to be up there with some of the best.  Thanks alot for pointing this scope out to me, it looks like it fits my wants and needs perfectly!  I do have two additional questions.  Is the photo engraved ret as good as the glass etched and does the scope have turret caps?  All the photos I have seen show the exposed adjustment rings.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 22:17
The reticle is as good, the glass is great, the adjustment knobs are exposed but of tactical quality.

Edited by SVD666
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 22:45
Ok, sorry to ask soo many questions but not having experience with tactical turrets, will I have to be wary of hitting the turrets on anything and moving my zero?  Things like placing it in and out of a kolpin rifle holder on an atv, climbing stands, taking it in and out of the backseat of a truck?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 22:47

They are not tactical turrets, most tactical turrets are higher and groved for gloves. These are tactical quality but desighned for pro hunting.

Low flush fit and somewhat stiff but not overly.

Edited by SVD666
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 22:50
From the looks of it you have to lift up on the turret to adjust, is this true?  It's just something new to me so I'm wanting to be sure before I throw 700 beans at it.  I'm not rough on my rifles, just hoping it's a bit "accident" proof.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 23:08

The scope that I saw did not have pop up turrets but IOR is constintly changing things with thier scopes so for the latest in fine details I suggest you

call and talk to Val. the numer is on the link I provided. This will be good piece of mind for you. Let us know what you decide on and good luck.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 02:53
No pop-up turrets on this one to the best of my knowledge.

Good scope.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 15:57
Thanks for the info guys.  Looks like this is my scope.  I'll let you know how I like it.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 16:48
Exellent scrubhunter, looking foreward to your post.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic