OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for browning bl-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for browning bl-22
    Posted: January/03/2007 at 21:27
i have a browning bl-22 lever action 22.  i want a scope for it that is not huge that looks out of place.  my buddy has one he has had since the 70's and it has a vintage redfield 4x 3/4 tube scope on it and i've found some,  but they are pricey.  does anyone know of something similar that is produced today?  thanks!!
fwinn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 21:42

btw,  i want a gloss scope for this.  i am not overly concerned about optics quality,  i will shoot turtles and plink with it and it will be my sons first gun.  i have a converted 10/22 to .17 mach 2 that is set up nice that i use for serious playing. 

enfieldwill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 12:19

I have just acquired a BL-22 rifle and am also looking to put a scope on it.  It’s only going to be used for plinking and squirrel hunting, so I really do not need  the quality of a Leupold, although, if budget was no concern it would be nice.  Also, I don’t think a large diameter scope would look the best mounted to the rifle.  I feel that anything bigger than a 20mm objective would look out of place on the rifle.  Also, the over length of the scope is important. 

I’m considering several different scopes, all the traditional rim fire type with the straight Ύ” tube.  I really like the looks of the Simmons 4x20 and also the Barska 4x20.  The Simmons is available in a gloss finish, which would compliment the BL’s nice bluing.  The Barska is only available in a matt finish. 

Also looking at the Tasco 4x20.  I know, it’s a Tasco, but the information on it says it is a multi-layered lens coating (There is a posting on this forum that gives a very good explanation of the different lens coatings).  The Barska says it is only a coated lens coating.  The Tasco and Barska scopes look near identical in appearance, except for the finish.  Hmm.  Could they are made by the same people? They even have the same reticle name of 30/30.

I even looked at the BSA 4x20, (I know, even worse that Tasco), but they advertise a fully coated lens coating, which should mean one layer coating on all air to glass surfaces.

For the price of these scopes, I could purchase one of each and test them out myself!  Here is a listing of their specs:

4x20 scopes

Simmons - 3.25 oz, 10.62” length, 3” eye relief, 19’ view @ 100 yds, lens coating not listed

Barska     -  4.8oz, 10.55” length, 2.5” eye relief, 18.3’ view @ 100 yds, coated lens

Tasco       3.8oz,  10.5” length, 2.5” eye relief, 23’ @ 100 yds, magenta-multi-layered

BSA (4x15) – 3.5oz, 10.5” length, 2.5” eye relief, 20’ @ 100 yds, fully coated       

3-7x20 scopes

Simmons – 4.75oz, 11.41” length, 3” eye relief, 21.7’ – 9.5’ view @ 100 yds, coating not listed

Barska     - 4.87 oz, 7.21” length, 2.55” eye relief, 21’ – 10’ view @ 100 yds, coaring not listing

Tasco      - 5.7oz, 11.5” length, 2.5” eye relief, 24’-11’ view @ 100 yds, magenta-multi-layered

BSA        - 4.9oz, 11.5” length, 3” eye relief, 24’-11’ view @ 100 yds, fully coated lens

Interesting note, the Simmons 3-7x20 is much shorter that the others which may lend itself to a better appearance on the BL-22.  The Tasco may have the best lens coating.

I like the reticle on the Simmons, Barska and Tasco, but really like the gloss black finish of the Simmons and it does look very nice with the red lettering and ring on the objective.

Bottom line is you can put on any scope you like.  It all comes down to personal preference and economics.  Or another way is to just decide on how much you ant to spend.  Just my humble opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic