OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help selecting a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help selecting a scope
    Posted: January/02/2007 at 14:58

I am in the market for a new scope and was hoping I could get some advice. I got some good advice when looking for binoculars here so I am hoping it will be the same with the rifle scopes. I am looking at either a Swarovski or Zeiss 50 or 56mm objective scope. I hunt in east texas, mostly pastures but I also hunt in bottom areas where there is a good amount of tree cover. I want to be able to see as well as possible at dawn and dusk. I was thinking of something in the range of a 3.5-10 or 12. My longest shots would be about 250 yds and they would be seldom. I do however like to see as much detail on the animal as possible. I was looking at the victory line of zeiss but there are a number of models to choose from and even more when you look at the swaros.

Any input is appreciated.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2007 at 15:29

For hunting scopes in this price range I like Schmidt & Benders. I am currently using a 2.5-10x56 that I like very much but the 3-12x42 is just as brilaiant minus the almost no light capabilities of the 56MM but in a more compact package. The 2.5-10x56 is large and if weight is a issue I do not recommend this scope. So far I have found the construction and lens quality of S&B superior to Zeiss and Khales with the current swarovskis comming in fourth.

I have not tried the latest Lotu-tec coated Zeiss that came out in late 2006 or thier military version Hensolt. Hensolt scopes are highly regarded by a respectable source but there are better suited as tactical scopes. There is also a new Swarovski(Z6) on the way later this year with a exellent magnification range but it is not known yet if the lenses or construction have improved.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/945892/schmidt_bender_3- 12x42_variable_hunting_30mm_riflescope.htm

ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2007 at 15:36
As far as weight goes, I hunt off of stools or logs about 33% of the time. As soon as I can get my heartrate down to a dull roar, I still find I move a bit when just using a knee to rest my elbow. Do you feel the weight of the 56mm would make it too difficult to shoot with limited support?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2007 at 15:44
I do not Know what the wieght of your current set-up is but the 2.5-10x56 is 22oz. Both the 3-12x42 and 2.5-10x56 will allow you to shoot well beyond legal hours with superb consistant quality. Weight helps with recoil but slows you down and limits your ground covered a bit. With a heavy set-up you will get tired at one point,this point is different for everyone.

Edited by SVD666
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2007 at 15:57

That is something I have not really thought about. I will have to start paying attention to the sunrise and sunset times! Right now I can safely assume it is legal shooting times because I just use my naked eye. My current setup is extremely light. It is an old gun with a 30mm objective scope. I may have to carry along a bipod :).

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2007 at 16:03
Good deal. Let us know what you decide on and your opinions of the scope. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the OT.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 20:14
Save your money, Bushnell Elite 4200s will compete with the best of them minus a few clicks. Its a matter of diminishing returners.  If you are happy wasting the extra money thats fine, but in my opinion, that is what you are doing. Where I come from, nobody, misses a shot with cheapo scopes and they are some of he fines shots in the world.  But, as I always say, be happy with your purchase and do not ever look back.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 07:47

Save your money - buy a meostar by meopta -

the 3x12x56 can be had for under 700 bucks and IMO outperforms lots of zeiss and swaro's - put money back into solid mounts.

i have a 56mm meostar and absolutely love it.  they suck at marketing their brand, but it is a serious piece of glass from an ancient optics company.

kahles C 56mm would also be a wonderful choice for around 1200 bucks.  But seriously, look through a meostar in the lowlight and have fun.

you'll see what i mean.  I have personally compared my Meostar to a kahles C 56mm in the woods at dusk and it's amazing qualities really shine.

get a german #4 reticle for best lowlight view w/out illumination.

good luck.  let us know what you decide.

J

Edited by jonbravado
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic